DVD Ripping

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by tastyweat, Dec 29, 2003.

1. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

There were a few versions of VirtualDub that open VOBs and AC3. Most were from the 1.4.X area. In my opinion it was more complicated to use virtualdub to mess with AC3 and VOBs. I found it much easier to use a ripping packge. It's all on you. Actually, Divx has gotten MUCH easier to use. I haven't encoded a movie in a while but 2-3 years ago I was ripping movies daily and experimenting with several programs.

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yeah not many people are - well at least not the ones ive spoken too, I actually was in correspondence a while ago with the author of the app, or one of them and he sent me this version which ive never seen on any site (im sure it was available I just never saw it anywhere). and when you have vobs on your drive, you can open them via SHOW ALL files, and the vobs are visible, then it starts to parse the file(s) - normally at this stage ive instructed dvd decrypter to compile all the vobs from the DVD into one 5-7 gig file to save joining the AVI later.

I am currently using it and have for over a year and have just upgraded my DIVX to pro 5.1 and it has alot more options. Then I can also select audio options along with the video compression (all calculated with videocalc for size).

Always gives a first class result, and ive found nothing to beat it yet.

3. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

nm... I think I have sorted it

4. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

Thanks for replys... will try your suggestions

5. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

oh great - come up against another problem now... I converted the VOBs to AVI, but it saved the video and audio files seperately... Vdub will not let me use the ac3 audio files that were produced for some reason... any ideas?

6. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I'm currently trying a different piece of software I found on doom9.net - Xmpeg, it actually goes straight from the dvd to a divx file... it works pretty well