e-mu 1212M

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nando Dominguez, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Nando Dominguez

Nando Dominguez New Member

Hi everyone. Finally, I've bought an e-mu 1212M ten days ago, and I just want to tell you my experiences with it.

The sound is definitely clearer than my audigy 2, specially low frecuencies sound rounder and softer, less resonant. Where I had problems to deal with a bass drum too much confused or veiled, now it's simply easy. The low frecuencies don't cover the rest of the sound. So I can say that now I hear things that could't hear before. Really crystal.

The noise is almost nothing. Actually I can't hear any noise, even at maximum level. With the Audigy2 you activate an input channel in Cubase and, with nothing plugged in it, you can see quite a lot activity in the leds. Now it's absolute zero. I remember when recording with hi level in headphones...

The latency. I have never had to rise it more than 7 ms. with a heavy loaded song. I mean, compressors in most channels, many equalizers, autotuners, de-essers, Waves L3 in master and something like 8 VST instruments. The cpu consumption window shows 20 or 25 % more than kX in general, which is not very funny (and a bit weird), but I could never mix these kind of songs with less than 10.66 or 21.33 ms. before.

The driver hangs much more than kX, which actually never used to crash for me. I mean, twice in a six hours session. Not very funny too. And I frequently have to swap internal/external s/pdif sync for getting the sound back again.

The GUI is really clear and easy. You can't do all the things that we use to do in the kX DSP window, but I can do everything I need for a recording session. (monitoring, real time DSP reverb, etc).

Effects. Not very good in general. Tiger M's or Max's reverbs are quite better than the stereo one included. The nono one is unusable. The compressor sounds like out of phase, even with all parameter set to zero, really evident when you bypass it. So also unusable for me and I keep using a real rack one. At this point I have to say that really miss kX.

The hardware is identified as an Audigy2/10k2 using CPU-Z or another system explorer program than I don't remember. Curious...

In general, I'm happy with it. I was needing a better sound than the Audigy and it has it. But I thing that a fussion with kX would become an orgasm. I can't understand why they don't pay more attention to solve the problems of the garbage-FX and those bloody hangs. IMO they should have a look at kX more frequently. (no doubt they do from time to time). If they need good programmers, well, we have them here.

If someone need more information or whatever just tell me. And if needed, I could send the e-mu card to Eugene for a month or whatever for investigation purposes. No problem. (If so, email me Eugene)

PS. My audigy 2 is pluged in a second computer for testings, etc. And of course I will keep updating the spanish kX translation as usual.

Regards to everybody :)

Nando

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  2. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

Very informative! Thanks for sharing.

/LeMury

3. 田鼠哥哥

田鼠哥哥 New Member

不错哦

4. Pring4

Pring4 New Member

Was bored and did a Babelfish on the above reply. Result?

Chinese Simplified : "Good, oh"
    Chinese Traditional: "Not, oh"

5. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Did a search and dig up this topic cause i just bought a 1212m.

My impressions.. the sound is quite amazing the bass is clear now and the highs are really clear! Compared to the Audigy2 i had the difference is so big that i probablly didn't understand that my audigy2 was disfunctioning. I mean this i listen to tracks i made last year, including my latest one, and i can clearly now listen to some stuff i would have never done with a normal sound.

Anyway the bad thing is that i miss the kx dsp and all the plugins.

Of course i am new to the DSP of 1212m but still some functions like midi assign and the cleverness of the setup of KX DSP are really missing.

So i wonder if there will ever be support of the kx on the 1212m?

Oh i also have another question. I got a hi fi and AKG 240studio headphones.
    Which of these options is better?
    1. Connect the analog out to the hi fi and the headphones to the hi fi's phones plug. ( I am afraid that this would color the sound of my headphones cause the signal passes through the amplifier of my hi fi).
    2. Connect the headphones straight to the analog outs of the 1212m? This is clearlly NOT recommened in the card's manual, allthought my headphones have low impedance.

Sorry for asking to much, chears :drool: :cool:

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

my recommendation, buy a headphone amplifier, or audio mixer for using headphones

the mixer also allows you to use extra mic preamps, and is also useful for speaker volume control

7. nakamichi

nakamichi New Member

Doesn't the preamp and mixer additionally degrade/color sound a bit?
    It better be really high-quality.

I want the 1820m,though...so many connections :)

8. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Hey stick, yeah that is what i am thinking finally. I surfed a bit and i like Phonic mu series. 502 and 802 . .

What you think? Any other recommendations on mixers?

9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i've used a phonic 1002 before, not a bad mixer for the price, though i think you could get a similiar behringer for cheaper (i own a behringer ub802)

imo i'd get something a little better, like a soundcraft Compact4 - gives you seperate controls for monitor speaker out, and two headphone controls - on the phonic mixer the same knob controls the level for both monitor speakers and headphones

EDIT: nakamichi, the mic preamps won't affect the signal if the channels not active - most mixers allow you to isolate the tape input (connect a pc to this) from the rest of the signal, and push it out the monitor and headphone outputs

10. Smiro

Smiro New Member

On the Phonic mu502, there are different knobs for main out and phones.

Or i didn't get this right?

Damn all i need is a small ballanced mixy with phones support and master out and i been seeking the net for soum hours now :evil:

11. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

yeah main output is always seperate to headphones on any mixer - i just don't use that output (for several reasons, mostly to do with input routing etc)

but remember, the better the mixer you get, usually, the better the sound will be

12. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

Hmmm, that will be nice to read any comparison of EMUAPS's sound quality too.

PITmaster

13. ldi_music

ldi_music New Member

hey guys,
    I found this thread through Google. I've had Live!5.1 with kx Drivers for the longest time, and finally upgraded to 1212m. While I love the sound quality, I miss KX.
    Does anyone have tech. spec., or any other technical info on the chip that is onboard of 1212m. KX project website states that it is 10k2 professional grade - whatever that means.

14. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

it's a 10k2 chip, but it's only used for effect processing, it has several other chips and converters that allow it to operate at 24/96

15. ursamtl

ursamtl Montrealer

I bought a 1212M a month ago and I love it for the same reasons mentioned above, tremendous sound quality and pro-grade A/D and D/A converters allowing up to 24-bit/192kHz recording and playback. I have my Grado SR-80 headphones hooked up directly the the outputs without problem. If your 1212M is the newer model with no Firewire port on the main 1010 card, it's also possible to upgrade it to a 1616M by purchasing the Microdock M breakout box from E-MU. This gives you multichannel I/O with the same pro-grade converters, an RIAA-EQed turntable input, a headphone output on the breakout box, etc. If you have the older 1212M with Firewire port, this breakout box won't work. You need one for an E-MU 1820. My 1212M also co-exists nicely with my Audigy 2 ZS in the same PC. I haven't yet installed the kx drivers, but I don't foresee any problem.