e8200 overclocking help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by AshutoshM, Apr 26, 2011.

1. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

Hello! friends. I have a core 2 duo e8200 processor clocked at 2.66ghz with 1333 fsb. I want to overclock it to maximum upto 3.33ghz or may be even less upto the level at which it works perfectly cool and stable through air cooling only. I am a newbie to the overclcking of processors but I know a little bit about what it means and how to do it. But, I need your step-by-step help to do this. I have 4gb Corsair RAM havin latency 9-9-9-24 clocked at 1333mhz.
    Also, the board I'm using is Asus P5G41T-M LX which supports fsb upto 1333 only. You can see it here:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P5G41T-M LX

This board has a turbo button which can be used for overclocking. Should I use this feature to overclock or should I go for BIOS overclocking. Whatsoever be the method please explain it as if I am a beginner, what I have to do in BIOS, what multiplier do I need to set, what volatges should I use, etc.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

It's a trial and error process. I would suggest pushing up the FSB incrementally and then testing with Prime95 to test stability. If you can lock the PCIe clock to 100 do so. You will likely need to scale back your RAM clock multiplier. So if it's running at 2x now move it back to 1.5x to keep it stable. See where you can get the CPU speed to whilst still stable and then you can fine tune things like RAM multipliers and memory timings.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  3. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

Hello! Jac. Can you please elaborate this process i.e. how to set fsb, RAM settings, etc. as this thread is about a beginner to the oc. I would be needing much more help in this matter.

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Do you know how to get into your BIOS and look at your FSB setting?

Al

5. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

Yes I know how to enter into BIOS and look at fsb settings. The only thing you need to tell is how to do this and where to start from.

6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Can you go into your BIOS and note down what the stock settings are. The FSB, the CPU multiplier. The RAM multiplier. IS there an option to alter the PCIe speed.

7. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

Actually I have not assembled my computer yet. I had ordered E8200, 4gb corsair ddr3 and mobo. only I have received the RAM. Mobo and CPU I will receive till 10th May. I can't provide you the settings but I was only asking about the procedure. You only provide the details about what is the process. i will do that with hit-and-trial.

8. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

It's pretty straighforward. You just need to increase the FSB which in turn increases the CPU clock speed. I think the e8200 has a maximum x9 multiplier. You will likely need to lower the RAM multiplier to prevent your memory running too fast. I would expect you could get to 3.3ghz using these simple steps but every chip and system is different. Just do it steadily so as not to damage any components.

Monitor things with Speedfan to check CPU temps and use Prime95 for stability testing.

After that it starts getting complicated with options like increasing voltages and memory timings. Upgrading coolers etc.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Sorry to just direct to a wall of text, but I'd recommend reading all of this before you get going. If you're totally new to overclocking, it's best to make sure that you know everything that you need to, lest we forget to mention something important here, with disastrous consequences.

Once you're done there, I'll just say that overclocking with socket 775 is a fairly simple and easy affair once you've got you're head around the various multipliers.

Remember to increase your frequencies and voltages in small increments, and to thoroughly stress test (e.g. 10 minutes of Prime95) with each step, while monitoring temperatures (I'd say 80 degrees is a sensible maximum for that chip, as measured by Realtemp).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

+1 for blibb. 775 is a good basic OC platform to start with. IntelBurnTest and Prime95 are both excellent programs for testing stability.

Realtemp and Coretemp are both good programs for monitoring the heat of the cpu -- I agree that 80C sounds like a good 100% load max.

11. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Just don't set the voltages too high; you can't really break something if you have those onder control.

Do you also have purchased another cpu cooler? Stock one isn't really good for overclocking.

12. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

I have not yet purchased any cooler yet but I'll go with a cheap stock cooler as I don't want to overclock it much.

13. Ishank

Ishank New Member

As you mentioned above that you want to overclock it to 3.33Ghz I advice you to don't go above 3Ghz if you are going to use stock cooler. Even 3Ghz is enough to make your CPU to heat and stock cooler can't handle it!

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It's actually voltage that has the largest impact on CPU power usage (and thus heat output), not frequency. If you can get a 3.33GHZ stable overclock at stock voltage, I'm sure the stock cooler would be fine (given, of course, sensible PWM settings and a well ventilated case).

Even if you do have to overvolt slightly, as long as you're sure that the temperatures stay within reasonable limits (I'd recommend 80 degrees celcius max) in worst case scenarios (several hours of Prime95 or similar at a hot time of day), there's no issue.

15. Ishank

Ishank New Member

I am using stock cooler and have not overclocked my processor.....even then while playing games my processor temps are above 70c so I have ordered cm hyper tx3.

16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Experiences can vary from system to system. Some chips simply come out of the factory better than others, and some people accommodate their processors in cooler rooms or better ventilated cases.

The fact that the stock cooler is providing unsatisfactory performance for you at stock speeds does not necessarily mean that anyone else's stock cooler will provide unsatisfactory performance for them with a mild overclock.

Before taking residence in my system, the CPU currently in my computer ran with a 500mhz overclock for nearly three years on the stock cooler. Admittedly fitting my AC Alpine 7 cooler has allowed me to achieve an overclock of over 1GHZ, but that does not mean that the stock cooler was bad - just that it wasn't as good.

It's also worth noting that your chip comes with a different stock cooler to AshutoshM's.