EA breaks $3 billion in annual sales but Q4 is a bust

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by No_Style, May 3, 2005.

1. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

After prepping investors for the worst, EA delivers quarterly revenues close to adjusted guidance; Sims and NFS sell well, but full-year profits sink. CFO calls quarter "an earnings disappointment."

Six weeks ago yesterday, Electronic Arts stunned investors with a hastily called conference call. In it, EA CEO Larry Probst alerted the Street that revenues for the fourth quarter--the one that ended March 31, 2005--would be sharply lower than anticipated. Probst girded Wall Street for an anticipated $100 to $150 million shortfall.

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

Maybe if they'd quit buying companies and start making good games.....

3. bake15

bake15 New Member

hahahaha GOOD :rofl:

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

why make a good game when you can just buy out all other forms of competition?

ya... EA sucks. the last good game ive played by them was the NFSU series.

5. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

I was just looking at games developed by EA, and I don't see a single one that stands out. They published a lot of good games way, way back when (especially under their Origin label), but in the last half-dozen years they've become fat and lazy from publishing sports and Sim titles. The same can be said of Sierra, except that they actually made all their games back in the day, and most of them were excellent.

The only cool game company I can think of off the top of my head that's been around for a long time is Bethesda. They develop AND publish their own games, with impressive titles such as The Elder Scrolls series (soon to be 4 games and 2 spinoffs) and soon Fallout 3.

All the other old companies have been bought out or put out of business by the big publishers so the they can milk the name until people realize what they've done. Sierra is a good example of this - it started out as an innovator in adventure games but is really just another games publishing label for Vivendi Universal now.

6. Lakevren

Lakevren MedicalEntropy

Don't forget Bioware.

they may not publish their own games, but they don't let publishers push them around.

And maybe EA should stop trying to think like a monopoly and close down and fire the CEO.

I mean... actually, I wouldn't mind that.

I miss the old EA, with the old Square Triangle and Circle logo. And Road Rash. And old NFS games. And Jane's Combat Simulations. Hell, Old Westwood.

But not anymore.

Not the assimilating piece of crap it is now.

Oh and Sierra's dead. Just a name piece now, not an actual "company". VU bought them out, kicked everyone else out, and uses the name.

I'd want VU to die out too.

And Activision.

And Atari... more or less.