EAX decreases game speed

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by PITmaster, Dec 11, 2003.

1. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

Playing games with EAX option (no 3D, surround or quadro or anything similar available), graphics is slowing down. The normal stereo have to be selected to increase gfx speed.
    Example - Call Of Duty
    What is the reason?

No problem with CL drivers.

PITmaster
    SBLive, Radeon7500, C900@1125, Win98

2. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Yeah! You`re right. I was wondering why COD is slowing down to approx. 20 FPS on my machine (AMD Barton 2500+, 512 DDR, GF FX 5600 Ultra, SB Audigy2) until I`ve installed kX.

3. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

kX doesn't support most (if any) EAX features anyways, so there's not much point in having it enabled. kX does support DirectSound3D however.

4. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

It doasn`t support reverberating and so on, but it does audio possitioning, without having EAX turned on in CoD for example my 6.1 sound system was useless.

5. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

Yes, exactly.
    Eugene explain, please.

PITmaster

6. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

That sucks - are you sure there's no way to have it use DirectSound3D instead of EAX for the positional sound? Most other games have the option to still use "hardware accelerated" sound even without EAX enabled (including Knights of the Old Republic that I'm playing now, which has specific support for EAX).

It's just a guess, but maybe kX does something weird when CoD asks kX to do advanced EAX things?

Being more of a gamer than a musician, I'm also interested to hear Eugene's input on this one.

7. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

at the moment, kX doesn't support EAX at all -- however, it handles EAX requests, stores and pre-calculates certain EAX-related parameters (although they are just ignored by the 3-D engine at the moment)
    there might be certain inefficient / unoptimized code dealing with EAX that causes problems...

you need to disable EAX in your game (note that 'DirectSound 3D' and 'EAX' are two different things, so, it is not really necessary to disable hardware acceleration unless you really need this)

/E

p.s.
    btw, EAX enabled -> 20 fps
    EAX disabled -> ? fps :)