EAX Enabled or Disabled ?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by phankiejankie, Mar 23, 2004.

1. phankiejankie

phankiejankie New Member

Hi!

I am trying to figure out through this forum, if by enabling EAX in games, you do get any benefits using the KX driver. I read that the EAX support is like a ghost thing calculating stuff but no enviroments or effects etc. So... on or off, doesn't matter right... or wrong ?

Another issue is, to activate the 3D audio, do I need a surround setup of speakers or I can benefit with two speakers too (as is my current setup). To enable it, I should go to AC97 tab and select it (3DSE) ?

Are there any programs to test the 3D mode of KX drivers if it is working properly ?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Peace Sotiris.

PS: What is the KXctrl -shw18 command, what does it do ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  2. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

in multimedia settings set '5.1 surround sound' (control panel)
    set hardware acceleration=full
    set 'wave 0/1' as your preferred device

turn off eax in games [it is not supported anyway]
    turn on hardware-accelerated 3-d audio in games
    set 'surrounder' preset according to the actual speaker set-up you have [click 'Speaker set-up']

don't try 'kxctrl -shw 18' -- it is useful for very few configurations of HpSp effect
    in the future this functionality will be available as part of the Surrounder+ Effect

/E

NB: knowledgebase article [to add]

3. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

A lot of games (especially older ones) have an EAX option but no other hardware accelerated sound option. In such cases it is often good to try enabling EAX because you will often gain 3D sound (even if you don't also gain the reverb effects that EAX is supposed to include).

There are also games (like Halo) that don't seem to work well at all with kX with any type of hardware accelerated sound options enabled.

The best thing to do is to try out all combinations of settings and decide for yourself which one you like best.

4. phankiejankie

phankiejankie New Member

Thanks a lot guys for the help :) I am kinda wiser now regarding the Kx driver!!

5. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

One more thing, does turning surround on or off make any diffrence in streaming audio to 6 channels? Especialy in aplications that use 5.1 configurations (I know that I must set surround on or copy to have audio on all speakers, but I don`t know how does it work in games).

6. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

I ran Halo from begining to end with hardware accel on and didnt run into any issues with it