EAX issues in Halo PC and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by Tets, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Tets

Tets New Member

I have a SBLive LS 5.1 card, and a friend of mine referred me to the kx project drivers when my system became unstable due to the Creative drivers (Windows wouldn't get past the bootup splash screen 9 times out of 10). For the most part, they work well. Unfortunately two of my games have problems with sound now.

With EAX enabled in Halo PC, there is no music and some sounds don't play in the cutscenes. When I enable EAX in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, there is no noticeable difference from ordinary sound with no hardware acceleration. Both of these games worked as expected when I had the Creative drivers installed, but there was never any guarantee that I would be able to get back to Windows if I ever had to reboot.

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

KX doesnt support EAX - only A3D

3. Tets

Tets New Member

Ah, so it doesn't. That's something I feel like I should have picked up on before I installed the drivers.

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The Creative drivers were not all that bad (and a lot of people use them trouble-free). You should really look into the reason why your computer will not boot 9 times out of 10, when using the Creative driver. Changing drivers might just mask a problem that could potentially lead to other problems if not taken care of.

5. radiv

radiv New Member

It could be hardware incompabilities. I have a MSI mainboard socket 754 with nForce 3 250GB. If I install the IDE drivers from nVidia, the system will use 10 minutes to boot. If I use the MS drivers, it takes 15-30 seconds.

I'm able to enable EAX Advanced HD in games like Rainbow Six: Raven Shield. What happens if its enabled (as it's not supported in the drivers)?

6. STAC|Tom

STAC|Tom New Member

hhmm i installed a2d engine for raven shield, but then all i heard where the effects, such as bullets dropping and such. :( any suggestions?

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Do you mean you are missing sounds? If so, try lowering the Hardware Acceleration when playing the game (leave it set to full when not playing the game).

8. STAC|Tom

STAC|Tom New Member

yes i mean missin sounds.
    how low down acceleration u say??

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Open 'Sounds and Audio Devices' in the Windows Control Panel. On the 'Volume' tab, under 'Speaker Settings', click 'Advanced'. Then in the 'Advance Audio Properties' window, on the 'Performance' tab, you can adjust the Hardware Acceleration.

Alternatively, you can do it in DxDiag (on any of the Sound tabs).

10. STAC|Tom

STAC|Tom New Member

hey thanks, set down to basic accelaration and now its perfect.
    but does it hav the same affect "missing sounds" if i played on other games like F.E.A.R ?

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It would be different for different games, so I would leave it set to full, and only lower it for any games that give you trouble.