EAX Wrapper

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by daniloreis, Nov 2, 2008.

1. daniloreis

daniloreis New Member

I was just wondering... who remember a glide -> opengl wrapper used to run ultrahle on nvidia gpus?
    cant something like this be used to convert eax to openal (i guess creative is doing this on alchemy?) and make all openal-compatible cards use eax?

maybe it could be done in directsound too, dunno!
    it's just an idea!

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The issue (as far as kX goes) is not related to DirectSound, kX does not support EAX (mostly) because it does not have the necessary EAX engine (i.e. the EAX Reverbs that are bundled with kX, contain hard-coded presets only, they do not include control of the individual parameters, so the best you could get is EAX1 or maybe EAX2 (I forget the specifics of each EAX version).

3. daniloreis

daniloreis New Member

i got it.. but openal is well implemented in kx, or not?
    if all eax was wrapped to openal.. it could work
    just like nvidia didnt had glide to play glide-only games... there was a glide->opengl wrapper... and it worked well, maybe a bit slower, but... it worked! :D

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Sorry but you are mis-understanding. The Creative wrapper that you refer to does not wrap EAX, it wraps DirectSound3D (translates DirectSound3D calls to OpenAL).

EAX is an extension to both DirectSound3D and OpenAL, and with the exception of software implementations (like the DirectSound headphone setting), the sound card's hardware/driver still needs to implement the EAX engine.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008