Electric Guitar Multieffects

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by ROBSCIX, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well, I did some testing and bypassing an effect (outside of this plugin) does not seem to cause any problems. However, I still think having the bypass option within this plugin is necessary because if you are using effects (or other plugins) that use a lot of resources, such that you do not have enough resouces for 7 effects, then you need a way to make this plugin work with less effects (i.e. if one of the send/return's is not connected to anything, then it breaks the chain, and thus you would get no sound at all without a bypass option (basically to tell it to skip that effect slot)).
    Here is an example screenshot: http://tinypic.com/aze9mq.gif
    The outputs of the effects look as though they are not connected to anything, but that is just because they are going straight back to the return inputs of this plugin.
    Notice the resource usage in the pic. With that setup I am almost max'd out on resources.
    BTW: The name is just temporary, we can think of a better name later.

Also don't forget that in addition to the 7 effect slots, you can also connect effects to the in and out connections, thus allowing more effects in the chain (you just will not be able to change the order of those effects, but that is good for effects that are typipcally always first or last in the chain... and obviously you can chain mutiple effects to any send/return as well).

I think another option that would be good, is being able to rename the effects in the effect list, such that you can change the names to match the effects that you have connected (although they will not be able to be saved in a preset list, they would be able to be saved along with a DSP config, etc).

Anyway, I am still working on the bypasses. It is a little tricky, whenever I think I have it working, some combination of changing paramters doesn't work right, so I then have to go and redo it, almost from scratch again, and then test various scenarios again, etc.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Man that router is awsome, Great job Russ. Now do you mean ti would be great to be able to save routings?..like FX1,FX4,FX2,FX3....BEcause that would be really cool if that was possible but I think it would be hard. I would be more than happy to start running some test if you like. My guitar has been in the other room but I am gonna bring it out and hook it up tonight..

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Saving the routings is not a problem. That will work with the presets just like with any other plugin. I just meant being able to name them, and save the names too.

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

If you want play around with it without the bypasses working, let me know (and what version of KX you need it for (I am guessing from your previous reply 3538h).

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Well I can wait if you want, untill it's a little more stable. That router plug, is very slick man, So the router has an in and an out, but the effects are movable within the chain..correct?..man that is really awsome. Maybe if this thread is being followed by the powers that be it will be included from know on with KX..also, if an efect is routed in and out of the fx router..say as 1 block..an echo perhaps...then couldn't a person just add another right beside it..the router moves it as just one block but it's actually two or three plugins correct? I hope that makes sense.

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It should be stable, the bypasses just will not do anything.
    Yes, all the effects (or effect block, if multiple effects are chained to any single send/return), are moveable within the chain. Just the main in's and out's are not moveable. It looks and works very much like k1lt/k2lt/kxlt (although it uses different code, I thought LeMury's interface and swap thing would work well with this plugin, so I designed it with that in mind).

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

OK, thats cool. As far as the bypasses, for no I could just disable the effect I don't want to use. Obviously this project wouldn't have worked without your router. That is the heart of the project now. It solved so many problems. Now does the router hold presets? or will it. IF we could save all the parameter of the cool dsp chains we come up with that will be great. Check your PM Russ.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, it saves presets.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Maybe after this project comes out, Guys will start designing more guitar freindly effects. So cool...
    Even if not used for this application, the Fx router has alot of theoretical uses. You are just stuck with the bypassing code is that right?

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, that is right, and I will get that working eventually. [​IMG]

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

maybe PM a few of the known effects programmers, and they could help. Your plugin should become a mainstay of KX.

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well, I still have some ideas to try out as time permits.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Well if you need any beta tester I would be more than happy to help.

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Do you think I should offset the sends and returns so they are not directly across from each other (that might be confusing). i.e. I could move the outs to the bottom, and then the return for each send would then be 1 pair of connections below (on the input side of the plugin) it's send (instead of directly across).

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

You mean have the sends and returns down the one side?..well might be easier, I don't find anything that hard about the current set up. Make one the other way and try that out..see how it goes..

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

No, not on the same side, generally the inputs need to be on the left, and ouputs on the right.
    What I mean is to just stagger them so the they are not directly accross from each other. I just thought that it might be confusing to people having them directly across from each other, but if you think it is ok, then I will leave it as it is.

17. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Here is another pic to demonstrate the layout of the send/return's. In the pic, each send is directly connected to it's own return, thus basically bypassing all of the effect slots.
    http://tinypic.com/azjg3o.gif

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, I decided that it might be better to just re-write the entire microcode (since it is only 14 lines) anytime a parameter changes to get the bypass stuff working right. Thus far, this approach seems to be working. I will need to test some more tomorrow (it's 4:15 am, so I am going to sleep...), but I just thought I would give you an update on the progress.

19. Tiger M

Tiger M kX user

I'd say that the only thing needed for guitar is a guitar amp simulator. All the other effects are of high quality and no modification is required.

20. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I have to say, I had no idea how this would be implemented... but this router sounds like a really cool new tool I can use for alot of other things too.

Great work either way - you guys are great!

Just curious tho...
    Will this new router allow midi automation to bypass effects and adjusting sends?
    That would be sooooo cool.