Electric Guitar Multieffects

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by ROBSCIX, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Think of stomp boxes all connected together. Under that setup the full signal goes through each effect in the chain, so there is nothing to adjust with the sends, other than the order, and whether or not to use a particulair send/effect. You will be able to change the order, and and do the bypass stuff using kX Automation.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Dogg, What we are using it for is a easy way to move effects within a chain. See all the effects are connected..1-7. before they would stay 1-7. Now, you can open the router and move where each effect is in the chain..so if effect 1 is connected to the first set of send and returns you can move it to say position 3 within the chain. Does that make sense? It is extremely handy for what it was designed for. I also mentioned to Russ that this plugin could possibly have many uses. I thin it should be skinned and added to KX permanantly. It is very Nice work Russ. Necessitiy is the mother of invention!.. :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Also, with the bypasses, it allows you to quickly change the effect combinations, as well as the order.

BTW: ROBSCIX, I cannot reply to your last PM, because you have too many stored...

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

All fixed, The bypasses work perfectly. I will run more tests tonight. but it all looks good man, great job. What do you think about that little idea about the position indicator? or something similar..This is a great plug should be added to the KX default Plugin library.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Good...
    I did not see your idea about a position indicator, so I am not sure what you mean. If you sent a PM, I guess I did not get it yet.

I still think the renaming option is good as well, so I will probably add that at some point. I will have to ditch the kx combo-boxes and use MFC one's instead, because the kX one's do not seem to allow you to replace the strings, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

If anyone else wants to test it out in its current state let me know.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

OK, so you mean you want the name of the effect to show up in the Combo box?..yeah that would be slick..better than the number indicator I thought of..

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, obviously you would have to put the names in yourself, and rename it if you change the connected plugins, but I think it would be more user friendly that way.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

forget about the indicator..using the square now when I think about it it's kind of redundant..

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, I added the renaming stuff. I set the max text length for the names to 12 characters. I think that should be probably be enough(?). I haven't updated the 3537 or 3538h versions as of yet, because I will have to do it (saving the strings) a little differently with those versions.

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I added the 3538i version to my download page. Remember that this is not a final release, it is just so people can try it out if they want to, and provide feedback, etc.

I will add the 3537 and previous 3538 versions when I have had a chance to update them.

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Here is the latest screenshot of the plugin:
    http://tinypic.com/b6wl1y.gif

And this is what it looks like when you click on the "Rename Effect Slots" button:
    http://tinypic.com/b6wl7o.gif

Also, you may notice the checkbox at the bottom. That is so that you can "Reset Settings" without resetting the Slot Names. The way it works is like this. It is unchecked by default, if you want to reset the slot names to the default names, you put a check in the box, and then click on the "Reset" button (which will then reset the order or the effects, and the names), at which point the box goes back to being unchecked (this should help prevent accidentally resetting the slot names, etc).

Also, as I mentioned before the names are saved with the DSP config, but they are not part of the presets. The presets will use the names (whatever names are currently in use), but you cannot save different names with different presets, but you can save different names with different DSP configurations.

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: I just wanted to emphasize that with the bypass options working, you do need need to have 7 effects connected to it for it to work. Just bypass the effect slots that do not have anything connected to them, but pay attention to how the bypass works when you change the order of the effects. Currently the bypass is with the effect order (i.e. if you bypass the second effect, and then change the order of the effects, the bypass is still on the second effect, even though it is now a different effect in that slot), but I will probably change that behavior, such that the bypass stays with the slot, so that the effect stays bypassed when you change the effect order as I think that makes more sense and is more user friendly.

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, I modified the bypass code, so that the bypass stays with the effect/slot. The download link has been updated.

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I updated the versions for 3537 and 3538h (3538h version should work with 3538c to 3538h), and added them to the download page. I am not sure if those versions will save the names or not (or if there will be any other problems) , as I am trying something out with them (that I am not sure will work), but I cannot test them myself at the moment as I am using 3538i. If anyone tries out those versions, please let me know if you have any problems, and if it saves the name of the slots (when you rename them) with a saved DSP configuration.

15. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I do not think the slot names will save with a DSP config in the non-3538i versions, but I think everything else should work correclty. I am going to be busy over the weekend with other things, but I will work on that some more when I have chance. Also, remember that the names are not part of the presets.

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

What do you think I should do about saving the names for pre-3538i versions? I guess the choices are as follows:
    Remove the renaming ability completely (just from pre-3538i versions).
    Leave it basically as it is now. (Can be renamed but the names will not save when the plugin is unloaded or when you exit the mixer/load from a saved config).
    Save the names gloabally, so that the new names will always be used (until you reset them or again rename them, etc (per instance settings are not really going to work right on pre-3538i versions)).

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

IF your asking me I don't think it's a issue. A long as the plug operates..the naming is nice but, if it produces programming problems on older versions of KX then don't worry about it. I tested the rename features in 3538h. If it doen't save the names it's not a big deal. as long as it operates properly in 3538i..then it's all good. The main thing is the plug move the DSP modules within the signal chain. Everything else is secondary.

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It was meant as a general question to everyone/anyone. It is not that it will cause programming errors, it is just that it will not work as was intended. I was just wondering if anyone had any preference with this issue. i.e. Since you are using the 3538h version. Do you find the renaming option useful, even though they do not save? I know it would be useful while you are using the plugin, until the next reboot, or until you quit kX mixer or load a saved config at which point the names (as it is currently) will be reset to the defaults. Of course you can redo the names at that point, but after doing it several times, I think people may not bother with it anymore and end up using the default names anyway.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Well if it works the way we intended it in 3538i, then it's all good. I wouldn't worry too much about it though Russ, aslong as the later versions function properly then great. I have also been looking through *.pdf docs of different effect units to get some idea of features that could be added or plugs that could be created. Have you come up with anything. If any member has ideas of features that could be added, please post them here..I'll keep up my research.:)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It has been a little time since my last updates, and I was wondering if anyone had any issues to report, or any new ideas for this plugin, etc?

I am currently considering some skinning ideas, but I am not sure what I want to do with that as of yet (I have some ideas, but the combo-boxes make it a little more complicated).

I have been having fun playing around with this plugin. I think (if nothing else), it is interesting to see how much difference it can make, where any single effect is placed within the chain, and this plugin makes it easy to try such things. Additionally, being able to bypass each of the connected plugins from within the same GUI, makes it easy to bypass any connected plugin, so that you may quickly and easily determine how much of an effect that particulair plugin is having on the signal, etc.

Aside from the above:

The idea behind this plugin was for use with guitar, but obviously it can be used for other purposes.

There is no interaction between the left and right channels within this plugin itself, so that allows for other possible routing scenarios that people may not have considered (i.e. using mono plugins, or a combination of mono and stereo plugins, etc.).

There is no reason (other than resource limitations within the DSP) why mutiple effects cannot be connected to each send/return, thus creating blocks of plugins that can be moved into different positions within the chain, etc.