Electric Guitar Multieffects

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by ROBSCIX, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

I see you have been giving it some thought "out of the Box" so to speak. It definatley has uses ovther than what we are using it for. I have been trying to think of what it should look like as well. is it possible to maybe hide the combo boxes when not being edited?..etc. IF it looked like a RACK model effects processor that would look pretty cool. I think you should do something along those lines RUSS..so it looks like a piec of hardware you would see in a high powered Rack Setup....You Caould make it look like a bunch of modules stacked on top of each other..then you could have a combo box in each module. I hope you know what I mean. Make it look like a stack of Rack Effects..or something to that idea..Just a thought..I think it would look rather cool..

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

BTW that image you posted looks pretty cool

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, a rack-mount look could be good. I have some ideas on what might work with that look.

i.e.
    Maybe replace the bypasses with power switches (i.e. off would be bypassed).
    Replace combo-boxes with an edit control, made to look similair to an LCD screen.
    Implement drag and drop areas for swapping the effect slots.

I will think about it some more.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Yep, that similar to what I was envisioning..I think we are on the same page..

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Have you made any sketches or anything?
    I am trying to think of some ideas of how it should look (considering there are not a lot of controls). I am starting by drawing up some ideas for the text display so I can have an indication of what size that will be.

i.e.
    I considered using 14 Segment LED's, like my RP200 uses, but I think they would be too big to use here (to make them look like the real thing they would be fairly large) considering that there would need to be 7 different rows of them, etc.

Here is a pic I made of what an LCD (14 character, 7x5 Dot Matrix) display might look like. Even this is fairly large, but might be do-able. The blue area is like a faceplate, just used here to offset the grey colors in the display with the grey background. The text is the actual size that it would be, etc. If you draw anything up, you can use it as a size reference, etc.
    http://tinypic.com/dwtkkg.gif

I am not going to start programming any custom controls (that would be needed for a display like that) until I am sure I want to use it.

If you make any drawing, try to consider the actual size, etc. Also, include a drag-drop area to use for swapping slots (since we wouldn't be using the combo-boxes). I am thinking of maybe a square area with a recticle in it (for each slot), and you would drap-drop to those areas to swap slots, etc., but I am open to other ideas.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

I have sketches on paper though, no scanner..what I was thinking of it sort of like a pro rack, where modules sit on top of each other. So each slot combo boxe could be it's sort of own module. So the top module Can look like a reverb unit..middle delay etc. Do you understand the idea of what I am describing? if not i'll draw something up on a app and I'll send it too ya..

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand the rack thing, it is just that the only components here are a label, a display (for the effect slot), and a switch. Making one look like a reverb, and another a delay, or whatever, do you mean do have fake controls that do not do anything?

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Here is another picture that I threw together quickly, that gives a better overview of what the whole thing might look like.
    http://tinypic.com/dwxmhu.gif

As you can see it is a bit large. The silver bars at the top and bottom would be the title bar, and preset bar, etc. I didn't bother adding all the small details, as it is just an example. This is the sort of design that I originally thought you meant when you mentioned a rack setup.

-Russ

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

I must admit you got it. Thats pretty much the type of thing I was talking about. The rack idea looks great. of course needs some polish but still great. It's a guitar multi effects plugin. I just thought it would look cool if it was something from that world.. Looks good though.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Also those names would change correct? so it wouldn't be slot four, it would be whatever the name was changed to correct?..thats cool. I am thinking about the rack idea now, each module on that rack is the same color do you think it might look better if different modules are different colors? black, blue? sort of the way a reack looks, with the different effects. then it'll show the names, tube distortion, reverb, Delay. it'll look awsome...

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, the names will be editable. It will use a limited character set (English (capital) letters and numbers, and some symbols) as I will have to manually draw each character.

As for the different colors, I had considered that, but it really did not look good at all.

I hope some other people will reply (before I get started), as it will be more difficult to make changes after it is skinned.

i.e. The height of the above picture is 610 pixels. For anyone using a 800x600 resolution, that might be an issue..

What do people think about the number (7) of slots (send's/return's)?
    What do people think about changing the effect order using drag n' drop?
    What about the limited character set? Is that going to be a problem for anyone?

Anything else that I may not have thought of regarding the plugin itself, or the skin, etc?

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

the different color thing was just an idea, but come to think of it your probably right. I was just trying to make it look as authentic as possible. The way you had it looks cool. Drag n' Drop is awsome..do you mean the number of slots? like more or less? is this what you are asking?, hmm, would it be alot of work to make that part changable?..like a preset to give you two slots,3,4,5,6,7? do you know what I mean..just an idea though.. I know I have been answering just trying to help though..

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, I was asking if there should be more or less slots.
    Making it variable could be possible, but I think it would make skinning it (among other things) more difficult.

Regarding your feedback, I appreciate it, it just would be nice to hear what other people think too (i.e. while it is under development, instead of after it is finished, when it will be more difficult to make changes, etc).

15. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, I created the custom controls for the text display and the drag n' drop swapping stuff, so that is what I am going to use.

I will be busy over the weekend with other things, so I will not be able to work on it much, but I thought I would let you know how it is coming along. I might send you a small app. to test out the functionality of the new controls.

16. ReWired

ReWired New Member

I have some weird request, will try to expalin it.

The question is how to make splits? Mean how to make sound go in parallel through two (or more) different effect chains?
    Now the effect slots are conected consecutively. Yes, you can bypass one or another, but you can't split the dry input.
    This could be done using two FxRouters...

But what if we have a simple check box, near to Bypass one, something like "To Out":
    Placing a check there makes this slot to send the signal directly to output (ie bypassing all next slots, but not the same).
    In the same time, the next slot will recieve dry signal from the input.

Here is some scenario:

Chain1: Input>slot1>slot2>slot3>slot4 (here we have enabled "To Out" option)>Output
    Chain2: Input>slot5>slot6>slot7>Output

Anyway, it is interesting to see which scenario will take more resources: the 2 FxRuters from those we have now, or one FxRouter with such option implemented.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

OK, I'll put it through it's paces and get back to you with a report. I have the guitar going tin the DSP with a steroe mix so I can mix the level of music amd guitar, great for learning..thx..Can't wait to try it out..

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback.

In you above scenario, what happens at the output?
    i.e. You still only have the 1 (2 channel) output. So the signals would have to be mixed together.
    Additionally, if each slot had this option, than I would have to accomidate for the possibility of multiple splits. This would make the swapping slots stuff confusing, and most likely would use a lot more resources than 2 FxRouters. I suppose I could limit the split option to only one, but as this plugin uses such little resources, I do not think there would be much advantage to implementing it.

In any case, it is an interesting idea.

Another idea I had considered was to add an option to split the inputs/outputs so that it could be changed to 2 seperate (individually controllable) mono chains. I did not implement that idea because it would require 2 different GUI's (i.e. It would have 14 slots for that option instead of 7), and as I was planning on skinning this plugin at some point, that would be an issue.

19. ReWired

ReWired New Member

yeah, using two fxrouters is not a big deal anyway :)

20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I have not added it to the plugin as of yet. It would be just a small dialog application with the controls on it, for testing the controls themselves (i.e. not for use with kX, just to help me test out the controls, and to give you an idea of how they will work in the plugin, etc.).