Elon Musk is working on a rocket that can deliver weapons anywhere in the world

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

The United States military has teamed up with Elon Musk and the company he heads, SpaceX. The goal of the tie-up is to build a rocket capable of delivering weapons anywhere on the globe in an hour. The benefits of quickly delivering weapons and other cargo anywhere on the planet very quickly are readily apparent.

The rocket would travel at 7500 miles per hour and would be able to carry 80 metric tons of cargo into orbit. The rocket could then land anywhere on the planet. The contract will see SpaceX begin by assessing costs and technical challenges for the project. Gen. Stephen Lyons, the head of US Transportation Command, said on Wednesday that initial tests are expected to begin in 2021.

What the military and SpaceX are trying to do is incredible. Using rockets to deliver massive payloads would allow the 7652 mile trip from Florida to Afghanistan could be completed within an hour. To compare, a C-17 Globemaster transport aircraft has a maximum speed of 590 mph and would require 15 hours to make the same journey.

SpaceJac111 likes this.
  2. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I love the technological part of it but hate the nuclear weapons part...

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Nuclear weapons these days are more of a deterrence than anything else really.

Of course they do say that nuclear weapons as a deterrence are a myth.

arb65912 likes this.
  4. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

We all know that in modern nuclear war there would be no winners... I see what you mean.
    I did not like the weapons in general, whatever the reason or purpose, I know, not much to do about6 it anyway...

Calliers likes this.
  5. Calliers

Yeah, hopefully this technology can be repurposed to moving other stuff around the world other than weapons in future.

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Someone should connect him to Kim Jong Un, I hear that he is making progress in the same field.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What are you guys smoking?

Eh, this is about using the rocket as a cargo plane only much faster. Nothing about lunching nukes...
    Or do you think the rocket will (as it says) LAND on the target, open the doors, unload the nuke, then detonate?
    Never heard of ICBMs? ICBMs which can "deliver" nukes anywhere on the world in about half an hour. Not even counting all the other ways of using nukes from a closer distance.

8. Calliers

What we were saying was instead of transporting weapons, like nukes, why not transport food to people who have nothing to eat?

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

In under one hour anyone on the world ? Who do you think you are, Domino's Pizza? Why else would you need this way of transferring food? You find the other normal ways are lacking?
    FFS guys, you are clever people, stop saying stupid things.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

talking about nukes today is akin to talking about using 17th century cannons in the last half of the 20th century.

They've had far more powerful and more strategic pinpoint arsenals that they really don't want the general public to know about for quite some time, and something that could easily fit in a small suitcase to boot.

11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I wrote my comments partly in jest.

Besides (partly again in jest, but partly almost seriously), both are working on rockets and in both cases the rockets are meant to carry military material to be used at the rocket's destination. Everything else is splitting hairs, at least from a certain perspective.

Calliers likes this.
  12. SpaceJac111

SpaceJac111 New Member

I hate wars and all military conflicts taking place now, but I feel proud of people because creating such a technology is a great breakthrough. I don't want to think that this rocket will deliver weapons to kill people:oops:. I want to think that @Calliers is right, and people will know to use this technology to deliver goods and other stuff.