Empire Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Trusteft, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Anyone tried the demo yet?
    I did last night and I was surprised with how good the battles
    a) looked
    b) played

I set resolution at 1680x1050 (max my tv can support) and all the details at maximum (high/ultra where applicable). I don't know the actual frame rate, but I noticed no slow downs at any point and everything was as smooth as if the game was 4 years old.
    The battles look stunning, just...almost real. The enemy AI seems to respond well so far.
    The naval battle looks even better than the land IMO, which is quite a feat, and again the AI feels good.
    The control of the ships is easy and about 1.6 million times better than in Imperial Glory.

If CA managed to also improve the strategic AI, then they have a AAA title on their hands.

2. lepel

lepel New Member

I tried the demo. I'm not very impressed by the graphics, but the gameplay is excellent. I think they really nailed the naval battles. They are just great.

But I have an issue with the demo. When I first played it everything was ok, but when I opened the game the other day, I got missing textures, bright blue skies (think BSOD :)), popping objects. It's really weird since it ran perfectly well the first time.

3. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

naval is good, but I don't really like the overuse of guns >.< the graphics isn't as great as the hype they put into it in interviews.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

LOL, I guess I am the only one here amazed by the graphics. Which is very funny if you consider that I don't find Crysis all that beautiful.

I pre-ordered the game! Well, the Megapack or whatever it is called.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I liked the graphics in the naval battles and the details are nice but I was unimpressed by the land battles. For a second, I actually thought something was wrong in my settings because it looked more like Rome: TW but it was all maxed out at 1920x1200 4XAA. I've never been a fan of guns in the Total War series (in Medieval 2 it totally ruins the fun) but I haven't actually tried playing through any of the Empire demo battles to see how the AI and such is.

6. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I thought the control of the view really is hard to get a handle of. I think I will have to play the game alot just to get used to the way the screen/view handles. the arrows on the keyboard don't work which I found really annoying.
    Naval battles really were cool, and I think I wil have to try the land battles in the real game because I found it a bit confusing now. I only tried it once though, so giving the demo another try might be a good idea

7. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

Fantastic game, there is only ONE thing that has me miffed about it though. Late game naval units have such a LONG travel distance they crash the game. It is a known bug..and thus far the only way to prevent it from hitting regularly is by placing a SLOOP into your fleet to limit the movement points of your fleets. Sometimes it still crashes even by doing this, but hey it does it alot less haha.

The naval battles are also a bit...eh....bad. I had a SLOOP capture a 4th rate ship of the line..they sat there attacing each other in a boarding party when all of a sudden my 4th rate ran away, caught on fire, and sunk. The enemy ship only had 13 guys on it to begin with...the AI in naval combat is way way way off.

On the ground it is another story...I would look for some of the user mods out there now they help add alot of cool changes. My fav so far is the smoke/music mods, I even installed a menu mod today to to put new backgroudn images and a video on the loading screen haha

8. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

I must admit that now I have made a conscious effort to sit down and play this game I am loving it, so much depth, so many decisions, I love the trading aspect of the game.

I am a little hacked off at the number of times I see;

'Empire Total War has stopped working...checking for solutions'

I'm getting a lot of non-reproducible crashes to desktop but I'm saving often so it's not affecting my gameplay that much...

9. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

You will get alot of crashes when trying to move ships in the late game. Although they just released a new patch so maybe it fixed that.