EMU 1820M compatible KX-version...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M104, Sep 23, 2006.

1. M104

M104 New Member

hi

I'd love 2 use KX - but it seems my soundcard - 1820M - isnt supported :(... any chance of upcomming versions of KX supporting my soundcard?

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

not unless CL/EMU release specs allowing Eugene to code drivers for the card

3. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

it seems that alsa developers are currently adding support for e-mu devices to their code
    (that is, some specs were released to them)
    I applied to CL but hasn't got any response so far
    in order to develop the driver I will need the device
    since I cannot currently install another PCI card, the better solution might be using PCMCIA E-mu device + external block. however this interface is not yet available here in Russia

E.

4. M104

M104 New Member

sounds nice eugene! will u be buying it if u get the chance? Im actually feeling pretty low about not being able to run KX atm - cause it really looks great... Im actually considering selling my soundcard and getting another one - at the right price ofc. (not that I dont like the performance of the 1820m)

If u someday update KX with emu1820m support I'll b a happy man :D

5. Eugene Gavrilov

currently I cannot buy the device

6. M104

M104 New Member

any chance of me giving u the info u need?

*edit - what I mean is - can I provide u with the info u need or is it to extensive?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  7. Eugene Gavrilov

let's wait till I get the hardware (if I ever get..)
    we will need to wait for reaction from CL as well

E.

8. M104

M104 New Member

ye...I've mailed EMU about 5 days ago - asking them to release "specs" - I've recieved 1 mail so far - from customer support - they say that they have forwarded the mail to their technicians... I'll post here if I get any response ofc - I'll try to keep bugging them for those "specs"

9. Jazzy2

Jazzy2 New Member

Just curious.
    whitch improvements are you expecting from the KX drivers that you can't get from the Emu drivers ?
    Thanks.

10. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

btw. i wonder too. M104 do you realize that emu**** + kx = Audigy1
    (e.g. no 24 bits, no 96kHz etc.)?

11. TheKezReturns

TheKezReturns New Member

Well, well this is good news. I've always found it frustrating that one of the most powerful & advanced driver software packages was confined to devices with consumer level (by modern standards) electronics. Equally frustrating was finding out your new card with all the right hardware (same converters as digidesign HD and the TFpro mic pres) was bundled with troublesome unstable drivers and the developers seemed clueless as to fixing it.
    They are running fine now with v1.82 but it took them over a year after I bought my 1820M to get it right and still I know there's an 'almost KX compatible' DSP (10k3?) in there somewhere waiting to be unleashed (the DSP fx that come with patchmix are rubbish). In theory it seems like these things are destined for each other, where one lacks the other excels... mmmmm I can see it now... pro converters, multi I/O, advanced routing and ever expanding KX plugin library... my studio could'nt ask for much better than that.
    I'd like to know how many KX users went and bought an EMU card needing the better codec, I know there's a few of us. Maybe we can all throw in a few bucks and help get Eugene what he needs.

12. TheKezReturns

TheKezReturns New Member

awww Max why'd ya have to go ruin my little dream sequence. :tears: ... didn't think of that.

13. jcdutton

jcdutton New Member

ALSA driver for E-MU 1212m/1820m.

The first release of the ALSA driver for the E-Mu 1212m and E-Mu 1820m is now in the ALSA hg repository.
    It includes support for all ins and outs and works with jackd (ASIO type interface for Linux)
    It also includes code to do 24bit/48kHz that will work on all Audigy cards as well, but is currently only enabled for the E-Mu cards.
    I just mention that, so that you could implement 24bit/48kHz support in the Kx drivers if you wished.
    It would really be nice if this information exchange was not only one way. ALSA -> kX. For information exchange from kX -> ALSA would be fairer.

James
    Linux ALSA kernel developer.

14. Max M.

>so that you could implement 24bit/48kHz support in the Kx drivers if you wished.

yes, sure, it is possible (since it work with original drivers) - moreover - we've developed such thing (24/48 for A1) a years before Emu. (although it was not extensively tested and, looks like, it never worked properly).
    I mentioned 'no 24 bit support' just in order to put some 'realist's note' - it is not in kX now and, to be honest, won't be there any time sooner (no time, no motivation).

15. M104

M104 New Member

Jazzy2 --- I'd really like to control misc. FX through midi - like volume for instance - that would give me a midi-mixer :D ... also I'd like to use other VST plugins than the ones provided by EMU - KX allows that...

Max M. --- no - I didnt realize that KX dont support high resolution sound :(... thats really 2 bad

Mayby I should switch to linux - when dx10 comes winXP will b old news anyway - from what I've heard there will b no dx10 or any equivilant to dx10 for winXP - so the whole 'running winXP 2 b able to run games' point kinda fades (when new dx10 games hit the street)... I dont think i'll b switching to vista - seems to b such a waste of memory - and all those patent locks will really screw the OS for a guy like me...

a little offtopic - does anyone know if there will be a dx10 equivilant for linux?

16. Max M.

well, kX does support high-resolution - just not in a way emu**** cards work.
    Such support (24/96 for DAS) will require too much additional work (well, 24/48 less but still some).
    just curious - you said "not being able to run KX atm - cause it really looks great..." - may i ask you what partucular feature do you expect from kX in comparision with original Emu drivers? (e.g. what exactly does work great?)

edit: ah, sorry, did miss some
    >FX through midi - like volume for instance - that would give me a midi-mixer

ok, but why not VST/Host mixers through midi? (i always wonder what kxdsp's _mixing_ capabilities might be used for (with exception of some basic mixing of some (constant) sources where midi controlling looks useless))

>lso I'd like to use other VST plugins than the ones provided by EMU - KX allows that...

something's wrong - you can use any VST plugins in your software whatever driver it is. If you're about hardware-based effects (those you set in kX DSP or PatchMix) then neither of the two allow VST effects there.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  17. M104

M104 New Member

ok, but why not VST/Host mixers through midi? <- im not sure I understand what u mean by that :/... If it could somehow allow me to control the emu mixer in some way I'd ove to hear about it and try it out....
    About the running VST's - I mean from within the mixer - ofc I can run any VST plugin through nuendo/cubase...

18. Max M.

>If it could somehow allow me to control the emu mixer in some way I'd ove to hear about it and try it out....

well, it can't. i was just curious of what kind of emu's (or kx's) mixer stuff you need to control with midi (i assume you need midi control over it to do some kind of automation, real-time tweaking or somelike - so what sources do you really 'mix' there? of course i do not mean you don't need it - it's just hard to imagine what setup it could be)

>About the running VST's - I mean from within the mixer

yes, but kX does not allow to use VST stuff from withing its (kX's) mixer too

---
    hehe, i've i just realized i say "kX Automation is useless".. hmm, well... ;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  19. M104

M104 New Member

mainly I wanted a simple volume control - mayby just 4 channels - controlling main volume, winamp(if possible), a soundcard input (my tvCard), and another soundcard line-input - for recording instruments and such... If I had control of the amp-levels of those 4 channels right at my hand through midi that would that would b pretty sweet I think... Another thing is that BlackBox (interface "tool"/alt. shell) is compatible with KX meaning that I could have a slider-interface with those 4 channels as software-interface as well...

20. Eugene Gavrilov

James,

Thanks for your announcement. Yep, I'm trying to keep an eye on ALSA project, since CL seems to have released several specs to you and still refuses to do the same for kX, although I signed all the NDAs. I talked to iCHI and he (directly or indirectly) refused to release technical specs to us.

Our driver already supports 24/48 format (and has been supporting it for the last 2-3 years) -- by means of a small DSP plugin that assembled two 16/48 streams into one. I'm glad similar funcionality is now present in ALSA.

Unfortunately, I don't read this forum quite often, so, please feel free to contact me directly by e-mail (www.kxproject.com/contact.php). Due to the nature of the NDA I signed, I cannot release driver source code, so, in case you have some technical questions, I will be glad to answer them, but cannot release kX opensource.

My initial idea was to port DSP part of kX into Linux, since it is semi-opensource already, but I could not find any enthusiasts on the linux side for that...

E.