EMU 1820M compatible KX-version...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M104, Sep 23, 2006.

1. sonicfire

sonicfire New Member

I would LOVE to use a EMU1616M together with a laptop and kX drivers, to have access to routing, dsp effects AND most important hardware playback of soundfonts (i love that).

I would be able to donate some $$$ to you , Eugene - for a EMU1616 or 1820 or whatever card / system.

2. M104

M104 New Member

I just realized something - I never use 192kHz - and if I wanted to use 192kHz (for finalizing/mastering a track done) I could just switch drivers.... so - Is it possible to run the 1820M at 44 or 48kHz? - If yes - what do I do?

3. M104

M104 New Member

no comments?

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

well - the only comment you'd prolly get is that few here have such a card...as KX was meant as a SB Live driver replacement - then factor in how much more popular SB Lives are over any EMU branded cards - the lack of response should make more sense to ya ;).

But just in general - exporting is usually a function of the DAW more so than the drivers - think of mixdown and export like 'rendering' in a 3d graphics app - or - look at the drivers being more what dictates recording and monitoring.
    In Sonar I can export in just about any frew/bitdepth - even tho I record and monitor in the driver dictated 16/48 (for KX ASIO).

hth
    Mark

5. M104

M104 New Member

really? - thats nice to know - thx for the info :D

6. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Kx totally smokes E-mu's patchmix/drivers. Better asio performance, lots of routing possibilities, DSP midi automation ( very very useful), custom dsp effects (patchmix doesn't even have a simple noise-gate for my guitar). Besides, I dare to say that kx is much more stable. I have managed to crash e-mu's 1.82 package several times (not that it is very unstable, but sometimes it totally hangs my system and I have to restart it), but I don't remember 3538k/l failing on me... We'll keep dreaming... :D

edit: Ah, I remember. There's only one thing that it's better on E-mu's drivers. You can use several asio channels on different applications (ex: out 00/01 on app1 and out 02/03 on app2 and son on...) most of the time. kx gives a buffer error or something.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  7. samplehunter

samplehunter New Member

One Thing I extremely love is the ability to code my own dsp code. Creative made advertisements for their live cards that there will be additional effects for download, but they didn't came. They told us the same with the audigy cards, but nothing happened. now they are telling the same about the EMU Cards and of course the new x-fi cards. So guess what will happen...

Surely the x-fi chip is a nice piece of dsp hardware but it's pretty useless if there is no possibility to program it. Pretty weird that there is exactly ONE company selling customer soundcards with a powerful DSP on board and giving no specs how to actually USE the full power of this DSP. I think, there would be a pretty nice homebrew-community.

8. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

>One Thing I extremely love is the ability to code my own dsp code.

This is where no difference between Audigy1 and Emu cards. The only property of interest of Emu cards is their invincible analog quality - and DSP is really superfluous there (i keep wondering when reading that many people do use their effects today - very sad).

>there is exactly ONE company selling customer soundcards with a powerful DSP

actually, very many sound cards have (in 21st century, and had in 20th) DSP(s) onboard (even more "powerful" then the one from Creative) - they just do not load it with effects (only routing/mixing). Also a few cards do use DSPs for effects - but you don't find any programming info - this is common practice - and it's hard to blame Creative for this - finally, it's not their business.

>x-fi chip is a nice piece of dsp hardware
    >USE the full power of this DSP

The so-called "power" of those DSPs (both 10k* and X-Fi) is a myth.
    (their jabber around counting MIPS of sample-rate converters on X-Fi makes me laugh - well, it's a standard advertising bullshit - no blame for that too).

>I think, there would be a pretty nice homebrew-community.

Well, if you are really interested in DSP/Effects development stuff, you would make the most of wasting your time with something more widespread and optimal (like VSTs for example). Unless bothering with low-level coding and exotic architectures are your main goal.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006