Enabling best DMA mode asus max/WD raptor

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by e!i, Jun 12, 2008.

1. e!i

e!i New Member

I have asus maximus, WD HDD and i'm trying to get the best dma mode for my set up, but seem to be stuck at dma mode 2. My cd/dvd is dma 5 in device manager but HDD is 2 :( Do I have to load a driver prior to operating system (jmicron?) to ensure i can utilise dma 5/6?

In my bios i do not get any options to select dma mode, I am in acpi mode rather than IDE. This is my first build and would appreciate any help, thanks.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

SATA drives generally don't need to force the DMA mode since it's done in HW level.
    btw. why you have connected the HDD's to the connectors that are utilized with that jmicron controller I would use the Intel's own controller ;)

3. e!i

e!i New Member

I have not installed the jmicron yet, as i dont know how to configure my HDD to use best HDD speed. I appreciate the respose, but as a first time builder I dont understand your response, perhaps you could clarify?

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Ok ... What SATA connectors are in use for you hard drive(s) on the motherboard?? And remember to install the Intel chipset drivers and the matrix storage drivers, matrix storage driver first then the chipset drivers.

[EDIT] I've looked up your mobo and it's SATA ports aren't using jmicron controller. But they are using the IHC9R controller from Intel. So you don't need to worry about the jmicron chip, it works just fine with default windows drivers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. e!i

e!i New Member

Thanks m8, i'll re-install op after i install the matrix storage. Thanks again
    :)