eVGA/Nvidia 680i Sata ISSUE

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IamLakota, Dec 12, 2006.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

I wasnt sure where to post this but being a mobo issue,I put it here,I know the 680i was reviewed here on DH or a few reviews were posted in the news with links.This SATA problem apprently was never touched on by reviwers
    but if Zardon or CDsDontBurn can shead some insight it would be great.
    If any are wondering about what I'm talking about the issues can be read about in the Evga forums. My question is this if the hardware is still avalible to test could you test out the SATA RAID issues Zardon,I know if anyone can/could figure this one out or prove its exsistence some one here can.

2. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

The issue is currently being worked out, and a BIOS flash will be released to address this issue.

3. Bicka

Bicka Active Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  4. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

eVGA seems to be on top of this issue which is very Professional of them,
    when even Nvidia wont post or acknowleadge it in replys in their forums,
    Bicka just hang in there,they'll get it fixed and everyone will benifit.I suppose in my technological endevors the Good Lord is watching over me,but I did have problems at first getting windows to install,that is until I unhooked two of my hard drives and tryed the install,though I up until yesterday hadnt realized I was using for the past few weeks the M$ drivers not the mobo/nvidia drivers,wondered why this system would boot so slow,I dl'ed the 9.53 drivers and insatlled them it's been two days so far and all seems ok.
    But then again the only errors I seem to get are with nvidias net work manger drivers,which are buggy compaired to intels nic drivers.

5. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

EVGA has posted a Beta Bios for the SATA problem P23beta
    on their website,and have commented that a "real bios is/will be forth coming in a few days.I'm going to wait and read the forums and see if it works before I go through the whole swap out the P4 for the C2D system.Cds did you see the pictures of the goo under the chipsets that was posted in the EVGA thread??? Do you think that is normal and should while I have my system apart pull the heatsink's off and clen mine up while it is out ??

6. CDsDontBurn

here is the direct link for the p23 BIOS. Like IamLakota has stated, there will be an official BIOS released in the next few days. I will post an updated link when the official BIOS is made available.

IamLakota, i have not yet checked on that, I will look into it and get back with you on that.

7. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Thanks Cds,I appreciate it.

8. dsdsdk

dsdsdk New Member

P23 working great here.. No more sata issues when ram @ 1066.

My board had a big thermalpad under mch and spp.. almost 4 times the size of the die.
    Reseated with AS ceramic, temp = 48c with speed of 60%. Will do a rereseating next time my board is out..

9. Bicka

Bicka Active Member

Yup, had World of Warcraft+Teamspeak running for 3 or so hours last night. Not a single problem. Compared to the previous record of 5 or so minutes, I'd say this new bios is doing its job :)

Saying that, I'd still recommend people do a scandisk or possible format, as my harddisk was left in pretty bad shape from all the errors.

10. CDsDontBurn

the official P23 BIOS is now available.

more info at the eVGA forums

11. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

It's problems like this, which always keeps me away from buying a newly released Nvidia board.

It's the same BS every time Nvidia release a motherboard.

12. CDsDontBurn

but the problem has now been fixed? so what's the issue now?

It doesn't matter what product and from who you buy it from, most early versions of any product will likely face issues that were not found prior to release of the product.

If you don't want to face these issues, then purchase the product until a later revision is made available, or when the fix is available for the product.

Remember, it isn't limited to just NVIDIA; it can happen to anything.

13. Erroneus

So you think it's ok to deliver a board, which has such serious bug? It's ok for the consumer to pay alot of money for their motherboards and has to live with crashes and data corruption for the first many months??

HELL FUCKING NO IT AINT AND THE NVIDIA HAS TO GET THIS, YOU DO _NOT_ SCREW THE ENDUSERS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

And yeah offcourse bugs can and will occour in almost every product, the problem is just that the bugs in the latest Nvidia motherboards has been no fucking way acceptable. There is HUGE difference between smaller bugs, which most motherboards face and BIG problems like data corruption and BSOD every 5 minute.

Nvidia need to understand, they cant deliver a board to the market which such a big flaw. It is no way acceptable, and the "excuse" that it is a first rev. board is so fucking lame, that I dont even have a word for it. Does a first rev. board costs less then a second rev. board or a board with a updated proper working bios??

I'm steering away from Nvidia motherboards, because I dont want to be a test dummy, because they cant due proper tests and use the needed time, to make sure their products is stable.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  14. CDsDontBurn

Well, at least be glad that the issue did get fixed. EVGA worked hard to get this fixed. And, by all means you do not have to be the first person to buy a newly released product. Alot of people out there specifically wait a little while after a product has been released for that. Some people do not want to wait and want to get a new product just to be the first to say "hey, look at what i got", and later on pay the consequences for it because it's a first revision of the product.

That's just how it is. If you're unhappy with first/early revisions of a particular product, then wait it out and see if updates have been performed to correct the issue.

15. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

With every step up in the techno field of computing there will always be bugs/glitches,that dont manifest themselves in the lab.I'm an Xray Engineer
    and over the years Ive installed many first and second run hi-end xray systems which use motherboard like components and only a handfull work "out the gate" I've had to log countless hours with tech support companys getting some to run as described its the nature of the beast.
    At least EVGA reads its forums and does respond,and in this case worked damn hard to get this fixed.To be more precise on revisions this is a second revision board,as it is listed as "revision A2",so far so good after the P23 full bios with my fingers crossed :) I'll now start OC"ing this beast.But I can say I do for the first time in many years have the latest and greatest.

16. Erroneus

Indeed they fixed and great job, but I just dont think it's good enough, when such big bugs are beeing introduced to a final product and again.

You would have thought they learned by earlier mistakes, but guess not and as long they dont to that, I have hard time recommended Nvidia based motherboards.