Evil Inside - Double Your Pleasure with Double the Processors

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 2, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

It's a geeks lusty wet dream to even mention it but it is possible to have your very own dual processor work horse at home as your everyday machine. Hell, right here I sit at my desk typing this article on a splendid dual monitor, dual processor beast. And don't stop and think for one instance that you can't afford such luxuries. You would be very mistaken if you jumped to that conclusion. Building a dual processor machine isn't that much more expensive than building a top of the line computer from premium parts.

themodfathers

2. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Damn, they beat me to it!

All I can say is 'look at the sig below'

3. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

Real hyperthreading lol.

4. Forge

Forge New Member

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

deul = slower then single cpu due to io overhead a single will beat the duel it alot of things ... very few programs support smp

6. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

I should give a nod to my boys at 2CPU.com. I got a lotta ideas from reading other members posts.

7. Forge

Forge New Member

Neon Cowboy: First, please excuse a nitpick: 'dual', not 'duel'. Dual is two, duel is a fight.

Second: While SMP usually does involve a very small slowdown due to I/O contention, that's not a flaw in SMP, it's a flaw in most SMP designs out there. The Opterons, for one, typically have little to no slowdown versus single CPUs, thanks to better design.

Also, while your single CPU is capable of running the game a little faster, the dual machine takes less of a hit from background processes running. For many users, the gain is actually greater than the loss.

nForcer - Glad to hear it. I'm waiting on some cool gear, then I'll start tossing reviews and editorials up. I'm hoping to get 2cpu jumping this year.