extracting subtitles.

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by MindlessOath, Jan 9, 2005.

1. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

i may be an expert with all things video, but.... i dont know that much about subtitles.

i need to extract subtitles from an AVI file... so i have them in annother seperate text file with all the formatting and time stamping that a subtitles file should have.

so i have an AVI file and i want to have those subtitles in its own file, extract them from it.

they are NOT burned in, i belive it uses vobsub or VSFilter 2.33b (annother simular better softsubtitles thinggie) to show the subtitles when playing it. their is NO sepeate file, its just ONE avi file.

anyone help? doom9.org didnt have anyone who could help at all, if someone here doesnt know for sure, is their any sites that anyone knows of that know of any subtitles forums and video encoding that may help (theirs not much better than doom9 for video encoding etc, but mabe theirs something better that knows more about subtitles).

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

3. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

see, thats the thing, this application doesnt work for AVI files (i will try it again in a few days (when im at my workstation))... im not doing anything with DVD's here.

i have an AVI file and i need to do the OCR extraction of subtitles from that movie. doom9 tutorials and forums didnt help much, and those guys are huge experts on video things, apparantly not as good with subtitles :(

4. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

well i guess this is my NOTEPAD now. i went somewhere and they said something like this.....

Open Virtualdub, goto streams & then demux. if its mkv then use the official demuxer that comes with the mkvtoolnix

dunno if it helps until i get to my workstation, so im still up for suggestions, its just i cant write this down anywhere, and since this is on subject, and i will look here soon, this is best place to put it :p

i dont use mkv much myself, does anyone know where i can get the mkvtoolnix? i think mkv is Matroska -im not sure. also adding annother link cause i hate searching for it every other day :p http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/