F***ed up problems!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by tek, Jan 7, 2004.

1. tek

tek New Member

OK, lets start it off like this, I am very pissed off right now... and me not being able to figure out what the hell is wrong makes everything even worse, I'm ready to shoot heroin in my eye right now. jk, anyways.

I installed Omega 3.10 drivers, worked fine.. then experienced major laggage, so wanted to go back to Catalysts. Uninstalled Omega's, went into safe mode, ran DC2.6, boot into windows, wanted to go into regedit for a sec, and guess what it says.

"Registry Editing has been disabled by your administrator" - wtf? I am the goddamn administrator dont you EVER tell me there is a higher power, since no one else uses this comp but me, and my dad has NO CLUE when it comes to Windows.

SO now when I install the Catalysts, the Control Panel is different then it was before, I'm missing some OpenGL and D3D options, and something missing in "Display". And also when i boot up after installing the Catalysts it tells me cant run ATIxxxx.something blahblahblah because of registry shit.

SO basically how the hell do I get my computer back?:duh: I want my fckin registry edit.

Oh and when I had the Omega's installed, I couldnt open Outlook Express.. i clicked on the damn icon and nothing would happen I would just hear that windows beep thing.

Er, fix my regedit plz. thank you. im going to go smoke now.:annoyed:

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Okay Tek, slow down abit...

Go to Symantec - Removal tools page - http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Then click on the link to W32.Swen.A@mm Removal Tool

follow the steps on that page, dont forget to turn off XP System Restore before using the tool. See if that helps, if not, post back, will write a script or something and try to fix that.

3. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Whats your tweaker program? See if it has an option to turn off Windows Registry Editor?? pls check that before you use the Symantec removal tool. if you have no idea about it nor you didn't config the tweaker to do that go on with the Symantec tool...

4. tek

tek New Member

I dont think I have any tweaker tools, I used to use them but I have no use for them anymore... all I have is the uxtheme.dll patch, and ObjectDesktop (tweakers for visualisation and icons).

The removal tool is running right now, and I've disabled System restore.
    I'm willing to bet its a virus, because I havent run PCCillin2002 for a long time, ever since a couple of months ago it wouldn't update anymore... but after this is fixed I'm going to install Norton Antivirus 2004, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks a lot for helping me out panging, I woulda been lost without you.

5. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

This is what you do. Format and reinstall. It seriously sounds like you have a virus or two.

6. tek

tek New Member

The removal tool says it didnt find that virus on my comp.

Anyways, quick question.

I have two HDD's, 1x 60GB WD, and another 60GB WD, on one is my Windows and crap (C:) and on the second are all my downloads and files.

Now if I was to format C: and reinstall Windows, would my second HDD (with all the downloads on it) show up? I really dont wanna end up formatting that HDD by accident because i have a LOT of stuff on there that I need.

Thanks, looks like I'm off to format after someone answers this question for me.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Okay, before you go for reformat, run this script and reboot and see if you can open your Registry Editor.

open notepad and copy/paste the below, save it as enable_regedit.vbs (or any name with .vbs). Double click the VBS file and Reboot your PC.

Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    sRegValue = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\" _
                & "CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
    WshShell.RegWrite sRegValue, "0", "REG_DWORD"

as for your 2nd HDD, just disconnect before do the reformat/reinstall if you are not sure.

Edit-- forget about the above script ..i cant fix No Wrap and space probs with this page.. Arr..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  8. tek

tek New Member

I just tried opening regedit and it worked!!! But you see, the problem has reversed, now I cant open my e-mail. And I also tried running a full scan with PCCillin2002 and when its around 15% done it just shuts off, I've tried 3 times and everytime it has shut off.

Looks like I'm in deeper trouble than I thought lol....

And for that second HDD, if I unplug it, then plug it back in after I reinstall Windows will it come up? That was my main question, will it just show up or am I gonna have to go throough something to get it to show up?

9. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

Do this to check for a virus.

go to google.com

Do a search for... frig that. Here is a direct link.

http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

Do the virus check. It doesn't remove viruses but it looks for them. Good luck.

and if you have a virus, and do a format. You may want to format all HD's so the virus or whatever it is doesn't come back.

Also check for spyware. adaware and spybot will remove those and malware.

10. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

The Tool had reset your registry for you eventho it said no virus found!!

Dont worry about your 2nd HDD, you will have 2nd or more chances.. Disconnect it.. like i said if you are not sure. or do a virus scan on that drive 1st.

while doing the setup, make sure to Delete your current XP partition.. do a good new installation.

11. tek

tek New Member

I have uninstalled PCCillin2002 and installed Norton Antivirus 2004 and it found 54 Trojan infections!!! And it also found around 5 W32 viruses, omfg HOW did this happen.....????!!

After restart nothing starts now lol, except for IE, norton wont start, MSN messenger wont start, email obviously, regedit... nothing will start.. everytime i try to start something up it says "cannot find _____ if you want to do a search click on start then search"

WIERD STUFF!!!

No matter anyways, Im happy with a format, need one anyways... I just wanna make sure I dont lose my 2nd HDD with all my files on it:dead:

12. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

Just shut down your PC, open up your case and unplug your second HD. Then it will not get formatted by accident. Just make sure there are NO viruses on that second HD. You do not want your format and reinstall of Drive C to be a waste of time if you get more viruses.

as for where did they come from? One of your kids, spouse, warez, wherever. Since you have trojans, the viruses could have been put here by whoever made the trojans. Hard to say.

13. tek

tek New Member

Thanks! Here I go, off to format :)O

14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

take the remark on the last PM and Good Luck!