Facebook blocked in Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by MIG-31, Nov 13, 2010.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Riyadh - An official with Saudi Arabia's communications authority says it has blocked Facebook because the popular social networking website doesn't conform with the kingdom's conservative values.

The official said Saudi's Communications and Information Technology Commission blocked the site on Saturday and an error message shows up when internet users try to access it.

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

The last thing you want when you are a fascist religious theocracy is people expressing ideas to one another - they'll probably find out that Islam is just a repressive ignorant ideology.

3. LordLink

LordLink New Member

Easy with the Islam ideology...

You don't have the right to critisize something until you know about it.

Islam isn't an ideology, it's a religion.

One of the main sources for rules in Islam is the holy Quran.

Quran leaves a lot of room to human thought on a lot of questions. On the one hand, you can be progressive but risk to do sins (whitch BTW depends on the culture in a lot of fields but there's of course the greatest "standard same" sins). On the other, you be conservative and risk to tighten the grip whitch is also a sin ;)

The greatest thing is moderation : it is now known that moderation has a lot of degrees and that it majorly depends again on the culture. If the people there don't protest it then it's OK for them, the majority rules.

IMHO, I don't back the idea of blocking facebook, it's like forbiding to sell glasses because you can drink alcohol in them. It's absurde. But I can't back you on your "idea" you're not expressing yourself on the facebook blocking but you're insulting a religion.

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Islam is fascism in the guise of religion.

5. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Same thing can be said about christianity. Just look at the history.

Not that strange really since they're basically the same religion and worships the same god.

Much can be said about Karl Marx but one thing he got absolutely right, religion IS an opium for the people.

My point is, don't judge the religion by itself. That's not the problem. The problem are the powerhungry nutjobs that grabs power using the religion as a tool to control the masses.

Richard III did it, as well as many other mideval kings. Hitler did it. George W Bush did it.

Where's the difference?

6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Oh yeah Christianity is bad but Islam is worse. There is a pervasive belief in western cultures that religions are a social positive - I disagree and Islam is one of the worst, if not the worst.

A religion that promotes sexual inequality, bigotry and barbarism. Death for apostasy. Yet people still claim some form of protection from criticism and implied respect because it's 'religion'.

Actually it's too heavy a subject for these forums and I do my best to avoid anything to do with religions. Have a look at this video though, this lady can speak more authoritatively on Islam than I.

YouTube - for the council of exmuslims....

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

lol

all religions are worse depending on your point of view..

personally i view them all as hysterically rediculious and hypocritically halarious.

It's like watching a bunch of 3 year olds bicker back and forth about who's dad OR mom can beat up the other...

It's a total joke...

[​IMG]

8. Liqourice

Trust me, if you really read through the old testamente in the christian bible you will find the exact same things. It's what the quran is based on. It's not even that long ago that the same things were enforced by the christian churches. Remember Robbespierre and the spanish inquisition. The pope haven't always been as benevolent as in recent history either.

I'm not defending islam or trying to miscredit christianity. I'm only saying that it's not really the religions in themselves that's the problem, it's the people governing them that enforces these policies. Often due to misinterpretation by choise or by indoctrination.

In my view ALL religion is bad. Nothing has caused so much wars and conflicts as religion. You cant wage war against a religion, it'll only strengthen the beliefs of those defending it. Only way to make the islamic leaders lose their grip over the people is by enlightenment, education.

There's no wonder that internet and many things that you can do there are banned in secluded countries because it threatens the leaders position. Education and enlightenment, people learning to think for themselves are the worst thing that can happen in a theocracy, from the leaders point of view. All the more reason to make these things avaliable to the public through other means..

But, I agree.. this is not the correct fora for a discussion about this.

9. LordLink

LordLink New Member

Lol at the council of exmuslims

The woman speaking in the link is trying to make you think that she studied a lot about Islam before making her "choice". This is done by reciting a few verses in arabic and throwing some arabic words from time to time.

The fact is that from the very beginning of the video when she asked questions about dinosaurs etc the answer her mother gave her wasn't reflecting Islam view: It's rather the opposite, you're encouraged to ask questions about everything.

I have also to desagree with the same old excuse that "Nothing has caused so much wars and conflicts as religion". It's false the worst wars on history weren't religious.
    -Mongol invasions of Europe and Asia in the 1500s cost 60 000 000 lives - which is a much more significant proportion of the world's population at the time and BTW the victims were majorly muslims.
    -WW2 with about 50-60 million, WW1 10-12 million (with another 18 million killed by the resultant global flu).
    -Chinese revolution and Mao Zedong (mostly famine) with 40 million dead.
    -An Lushan Revolt , 8th Century with 36 million dead
    -Fall of the Ming Dynasty, 17th century with 25 million dead
    -Taiping Rebellion, 19th Century with 20 million dead.
    -Congo 6 million.
    -Korea was about 3 million
    -Vietnam about 4 million.

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So because there were/are other bad things, that means Islam is good? lol

11. Liqourice

Did anyone say that? :p

Anyways. I don't care if they banned facebook. Good riddence I'd say. As far as I'm concerened it should be banned from the internet completely.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This thread is perhaps in need of a move to the flame warzone :p

Islam, incidentally, like most other major religions, can be interpreted and translated to mean almost anything you want it to. Anyone sensible will take what's good and ignore what's either obselete or simply wrong in their eyes.

Look at the gaping differences between Christian denominations, and the atrocities that have been commited in their name.

Yes, the Quran seems to condone some sever mal-practices, but that doesn't mean the religion as a whole can be branded with sweeping generalisations, either negative or positive.

The vast majority of atheists, and, it would seem, people in thsi thread, judge religions by their xenephobic orthodox or extremist followers alone. The vast majority of religious people that I know (not just Christians incidentally) take a view of their religion entirely compatible with "modern" liberal ethics, science and history.

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Thread moved to Political & Religous Debate forum.

14. Senor_Mota

Senor_Mota 悪魔の方法

You don't know what words mean, do you? All religions are ideologies that have been turned into movements, which have shifted into full-blown theological money laundering museums. Every religion starts as "an idea". It's when it becomes a "belief" that it's dangerous.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin