Facebook Login Issue

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If it wasn't for so many of my family and close friends using FB, I'd probably be happier NOT using it at all! But, a recent development has made it even more annoying to me than before.

I have no problem getting logged in. The problem is that, as of about a week ago, if I exit the browser without LOGGING OUT of FB, I find I'm still logged in on the next session. There USED TO BE a check box where you could make sure to UNCHECK that box in order to avoid this situation. Either FB, or the browser has removed that checkbox. That makes the session remember your login and keeps you logged in until you manually log out. Totally, totally rubbish for my situation.

I'm sure there are those here who use FB. Is there anyway at all in the current status of things to get FB to NOT REMEMBER my log in?

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I don't think it's Facebook though, but the browser. Best LINK I could come up with.

The only other thing is to try forcing Facebook instances to end.. but I think this is for other devices connected to FB. That's under the security section for Facebook. I think it's under Privacy Settings, Security, Active Sessions.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Dyre Straits

I've actually gone through much of this in Firefox/Security options. I have no saved logins whatsoever. What I'm inclined to do is to see if I can revert to an earlier version of FF to see if it's simply a design of the latest version/s. I briefly was able to use a FB Login link that did show the checkbox, but, on subsequent clicks to that same link, the checkbox is missing.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think it's FB. If I remember correctly, there used to be a checkbox on the login screen which said "Remember me" or something like that. If left unchecked, you could just close the browser and you'd be logged out; if checked, your session would be saved (probably in a cookie) and you'd still be logged in the next time you accessed facebook.com. That checkbox is now gone.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  5. Dyre Straits

Exactly!

6. Tipstaff

If that's the case, then deleting the facebook related cookies should clear that, right?

Dyre Straits likes this.
  7. Dyre Straits

Been there, done that! Doesn't work. The checkbox is completely gone.

8. Tipstaff

I may have a solution for you.

A buddy pointed me to the Facebook Developers site HERE. What you do is hit the "Register" button in the top right, and link it to your Facebook account. Once you do that the icon will change to "My Apps". Hit the down arrow, and an option to "Log Out" will appear. This literally logs you out of Facebook.

New Bitmap Image_2.jpg

Now that the account is tied to the Developers site the "Register" button will have changed to "Log In". Hit that, and it will ask you to insert your credentials. If you go to the actual Facebook page, and do the log out like normal, it should now stay logged out until you re-enter your credentials. If you ever go back to the site I've noticed it still automatically has you logged in. Just log out, and it stays logged out.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  9. Dyre Straits

This is actually what I have been having to do now for over a week ... maybe two. I have to remember to Log Out or else I'll still be logged in when I come back to FB. It's just incredibly annoying since they did away with the checkbox option. At least, if the checkbox is there, it's my fault if I overlook it.

10. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Dyre, try disabling your ad blocker. Apparently, ad blockers remove the checkbox. I saw it in Vivaldi and then I tried Opera in private mode (which disables uBlock) and it was there as well. When uBlock is active, the checkbox doesn't show.

11. Dyre Straits

Will check it out. Thanks tor the tip.

12. techster101

techster101 New Member

I have made a habit of double checking that I have logged out of fb properly. Don't want it tracking every move I make online.