Fake Java update please help

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by cwt.rick, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwt.rick

cwt.rick Member

2P{FIYRJ(RZK[AC163L11YG.jpg So I keep having a website pop up randomly when I an using chorme and keep asking to update my java where i dont even have it on my pc. I used AVG to see if I can get rid of it and it won't work so I re-installed my windows and formatted the whole c-drive and the fake java update website still pop up randomly. So I am think if this could have a actual virus in my pc which is in other driver location or it can be virus in my google account. Please help. I have been searching it in google and all of them don't work out.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Download Malwarebytes, install and do a full scan.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Do you use Java for anything specific? Generally you can survive without it.

Also, does it work with any other browser?

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

What he said!

5. cwt.rick

cwt.rick Member

I don't have the Java installed in my PC. I don't use other browser only Chorme.
    I just found the other fake update these days. it just pop up like the Java update. It's the chorme update notification but i know it's fake.
    I will try to use Malwarebytes first.

6. cwt.rick

cwt.rick Member

Update: I just got the Malwarebytes downloaded and installed, I had run a full scan and that what it find: Trojan.Agent (Registry Key) and PUP.Optional.InstallBrain.A (Registry Key). i think this will work as "PUP" were mentioned in other article about this fake update. Will see how it goes if I don't get the fake update in 1 week then I will assume I had removed the virus. Thanks for helping though. cheers

7. cwt.rick

cwt.rick Member

Update 2: Instead of waiting a week to see if the virus still comes up I re-installed my PC due to some reason. But after that I still got the fake update notification so I run the scanner again and had different file detected. It's called PUP.Optional.OpenCandy (File). I am really confusing, I am thinking if the virus is in the other driver. How do I run a full scan in my PC with Malwarebytes, it's a free trail version I am not sure if it will scan the whole PC.

8. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Ehm, you properly downloaded something after the reinstall, which installed the malware again.

This is from malwarebytes: OpenCandy is bundled within many custom installers from download sites like Softonic, Brothersoft and Cnet.

9. cwt.rick

cwt.rick Member

I am thinking a few software might cause this I am trying to get rid of them to see which one cause this problem. Will update it after test. Hope this will stop other ppl from getting the same problem. there are only two new software I had just right be4 the problem comes up which is "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1060_Full" and "ac3filter".

10. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

BTW. domain in that first screen shot is no longer in use. So clearly scam site...

11. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Also some ads on sites carry these things... I was just at CBSSports.com at had one pop up there... I just closed the tab.

QB

12. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Insistence by any web-site to update Java, Flash, Shockwave, Silverlight et ali is highly suspect. Not so much the notification that an update is available, but their proffered update links are never accepted, always research version updates from provider source. In fact I disallow any suto-updates for anything but I'm good on being notified that updates are available and I'll deal with 'em at my discretion.

As far as Java goes, its never required to surf the web. It may be necessary for certain site specific web-applets, e.g., financial tools and whatnot. Java should either not be installed unless an standalone app requires it, e.g., Open Office, JDisk. In any case, Java should by default be disabled in the browser; enable for specific needs and then disable when finished with specific purpose.

I'm very pleased with Firefox' security pertaining to Java. With Comodo Ice Dragon, Comodo Internet Security HIPS / FW / AV suite, PrivDog + NoScript Firefox plug-ins +MVPS HOSTS file - free download from: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm + supplemented entries from SpyBot immunize feature (which puts the nasties into the IE restricted zone), I'm very confident concerning my interweb security footprint.

First and foremost: disabling JavaScript in ALL web-pages by NoScript - backstopped by PrivDog - except on a case-by-case basis is an outstanding first line of defense to prevent these maurauder intrusions into the inner sanctum of one's system gizzards; these nasty pop-up dealies don't even get a chance to run.

13. techster101

techster101 New Member

Some good advice from WxMan1. I know I should make more of an effort to properly research all updates before installing them, but sometimes laziness takes hold...Been lucky so far though.

14. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

15. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I closed this earlier but never had the time to make a comment.

Threads that date back a couple of years are quite often dead,so bringing them back is fine if the content is worthwhile.. as this is not the case that's the reason this thread got closed..

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.