Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by OmegaRED, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Cool!

Just got a mail that my copy for PS3 will be here tomorrow, one day before release date here in Denmark, yaaaaaay! :D

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Can't wait for that.

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

neither can i

i just bought the first two fallout games off GoG, to get myself in the zone for fallout 3

4. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

man, shooting off peoples heads never gets old.

Its very very much like Oblivion with guns but a whole hell of a lot better.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The "turn based" combat mode, since it isn't like the original, is it more similar to Mass Effect or Knights of the Republic?

Is it possible to play the game without using it or only using it?

6. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Yea, its like KOTOR and Mass Effect but it a lot better done.

You don't have to use it and death scenes actually look really good and fluid when u splatter someones head or rip their arms off.

Also some more cool FYI, I don't have my 360 and don't have Xbox Live Gold but the achievements in my PC version count towards my gamertag.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Ummmm....anyone I know? ;) :)

8. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

It's here guys!

Fallout 3 Review

Fallout 3 is one of the most hyped games this year so it is with much anticipation that we finally have a review sample in our grubby little mitts. This sequel has been created by developers Bethesda who were responsible for the awesome Oblivion series. Fallout 3 is a standalone title so you won't need a knowledge of the franchise to play. Is the game creative or just an Oblivion clone set in a different time zone?

9. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Nice, will have to check that out later. I was a big fan of Oblivion but I don't know...

Edit: lots of people are calling it "Oblivion with guns", how similar is it to Oblivion do you think?

10. Vikingod

Ha, you were the first to come to mind. What do you think of it? (assuming you've picked it up, made out with it, and nearly finished it by now)

11. Trusteft

I had a conversation with a cousin of mine who has played the game. He said he is very dissapointed with it, that it doesn't feel like 1 or 2. That it feels more like a well made mod for Oblivion than a seperate game.

I can't comment on that since I am still waiting for the game to arrive, but I hope he is wrong.

12. Vikingod

The reviews would say otherwise, but there is no accounting for taste. My guess is there are some disappointed folks because its not a third person, turn based, isometric game like the originals. That doesn't make it a bad game though, IMO. Seems lilly to expect it to be the original titles given the dramatic changes its undergone.

If it's half as good as Oblivion, with great atmosphere, and an engaging story, I'll be pleased as punch.

13. e!i

e!i New Member

Got my copy coming in the post in the next few days, can't wait to play it. I loved oblivion, thought it one the best games I ever played, I hope this game lives up to my expectations.

Really like the music from this game, just like Bioshock in this respect, I just love 40's 50's sounds. So excited!

14. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

this game is becoming a massive turnoff for me...

i get stuttering with my system...

its not like the normal stuttering due to hdd acctivity ect as i have plenty of memory
    its a type of stuttering i would get with NFS Most wanted where the backgrounds stutter lol when i stand still and look about its stuttering like that....

anyway i cant fix this at all and its bugging me.

15. Trusteft

What's your sound card?

16. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

Azuntech Prelude 7.1 + latest Drivers.

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Could it be an issue with the X2 rather than sound card related? Such as it not liking Crossfire mode, driver related, or just not liking the card at all?

Edit: Well, here's something to look into. This game has the same issue with ffdshow that Oblivion has (among other games), so if you have any codec packs installed you can try uninstalling ffdshow via add/remove programs, or run the ffdshow "Audio Decoder Configuration" to remove ffdshow from interacting with Fallout 3. There's 2 ways to do this. The first is based on if you are using an old version of ffdshow, and you need to run the following procedure:

(edited from the original Oblivion fix from Bethesdas site)

1. Click Start
    2. Click "All Programs" (or just Programs, depending on the version of Windows, whether they're using "classic," etc.)
    3. Go to the ffdshow folder.
    4. Click "Audio decoder configuration."
    5. In the left hand pane, click "Info & debug." This is the second entry in the list.
    6. In the right hand pane, near the bottom, find a check box labelled "Don't use ffdshow in:"
    7. Check that box, and in the text box underneath (it lights up when you check the check box), add fallout3.exe and FALLOUTLAUNCHER.EXE. If there is already something in that box, put a semi-colon ( ; ) after what's already there, and fallout3.exe then a semi-colon then FALLOUTLAUNCHER.EXE after that. Do NOT use spaces, since ffdshow will think that's part of the filename. A valid entry would be "explorer.exe;fallout3;FALLOUTLAUNCHER.EXE" (without quotes).
    If you are using a newer version of ffdshow, follow steps 1 - 4 from above first. Then on the left side panel choose "DirectShow Control". This is the new section for the inclusion/exclusion lines. After that follow steps 6 - 7 to finish things off.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

It is very similar, Same engine. It feels sometimes like a really well made mod and other times like an absolutely stunning game.

One thing is it is as linear as oblivion. Ransacking a grocery store is a little different then diving into a sadist lair (elementary school) with limbless torture victims pinned to the wall.

Trust me though, this game is like oblivion in the good ways, not the bad ways. The dialogue is top notch (though they reuse the voice actors from Oblivion). And each character is unique, from the gunslinging sheriff to the Whore for hire, to the ghouls, and to the pissed off Irishman, to the wandering traders, and the complete nut bags. This game has the diversity oblivion never had.

Also nuking a city within the first few hrs of play is always fun.

19. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

I agree, the NPCs are great, not as in Oblivion, where they felt generic.

20. Trusteft

Is it true that the enemies LEVEL UP with you the same way as in Oblivion? That was the main reason I stopped playing Oblivion.