Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by OmegaRED, Oct 27, 2008.

1. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Basically what it does is any time you cripple a limb you can get extreme radiation and it regenerates back. Nothing negative about it.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Ah, you need to poison yourself to get cured...then I am glad I didn't.

3. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Well you don't need to do anything. You can get cured the regular way. This is just an added bonus if you are crippled and exposed to radiation before you can seek help.

4. Trusteft

How do you play the game? What's your character like? I am playing as a good character, but not a sucker.

And yes, I have learned to love VATS.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Can't understand why. If you can create a new profile by selecting the "Add" button on the main menu of the ALchemy software, it should be setup the same way as the Creative native version.

If you can create a profile, but can't change the buffer settings you might be able to change them manually. The ALchemy software adds files into the games directory, one of which is called "dsound.ini". If you open that using a text editor such as Wordpad you can manually change the numbers inside to what you need.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Evil to the bone. I don't go around murdering people. But I will take jobs that involve killing innocents. I do like how they added side quest(s) for not-so-nice characters.

7. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I'm kinda the wary adventurer/ scout. Good all around but get my hands dirty a lot. I kill a lot of things and most my time is spent exploring the different branches or areas of side quests instead of those quest or the main story. I haven't found an enemy I couldn't manage. Though there was this saber tooth huge looking beast up northwest on the map. A critical hit sniper shot took only 10% of its life. And I had to run backwards and throw grenades and mines to kill it.

I haven't got to play much though since I had to work through my day off this weekend.

One problem, is trying to find people who can afford to buy all the crap I pick up. I usually end up with 6 hunting rifles then repair them down to 3 to save space.

8. phantommenace2

phantommenace2 hexa-core gamer

I also have an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 sound card and I don't even use ALchemy...the sound in Vista is fine for me...I only use ALchemy for older games that were not designed for Vista

just checked my in-game clock to see how long I've been playing--17 hours 22 minutes...what's amazing is that after checking my 'World Map' I've discovered maybe 10-15% of the map...at this rate I'm looking at maybe 200 hours of game time

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. pigdog

pigdog New Member

I've only played around 8 hours and I'm already starting to get what I call "Gamer's anxiety".

It's a sort of panicky feeling I get that makes me feel that the game is going to be over too soon.

I've even been known to stop playing a great game before it's finished, just so that i know that it will still be there, at least partially un-experienced, if I need some emergency escapism at some stage.

It took me 6 years to finish Deux Ex.

God only knows how long I may well lurk around the Capital District:hmm:.

10. Trusteft

I was surprised to see children in the game, but unlike the second game, you can't kill them. I guess a rating issue. Not that I wanted to, but just saying.

I used FRAPS for a game and the frame rate at 1680x1050 everything max including AF and AA, was from 49-60 all the time, not sure if it didn't go further up due to vsync (don't even remember if I have it on). The thing is, I get this weird feeling when walking or running in one direction like there are....frames missing or something. Like you are walking at steady pace and at the same time you increase your speed for a ms. Weird thing. Anyone else experiencing something like that? I use onboard realtek soundcard.

I can't seem to repair weapons after certain percentage, a bit over 50%, without any explanation (low repair skill or whatever). Is it then that all weapons cannot be made to fire at full power, ever, unless they are brand new when you acquire them?

phantommenace, I got the strength from the ants' crazy scientist thinking it would increase my carrying capacity, but no such thing happened. How much perception did you gain from it?

11. Trusteft

I used to get that a lot. If you avoid going for the main quest of finding your father, the game should take you many many hours to complete. Many more than Deus Ex. If you take things slowly then my estimated guess is at 80+ hours. And that is just for one character, you can replay as another and have an almost totaly different experience.

12. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

I'm quite advanced in the game now, around level 10-11, playing jus under 20 hours and just passed rivet city in the main quest. I had to put the difficulty up to hard, and i believe soon i will find hard too easy and i will go into very hard.

I've specialized in small guns and explosives (no energy weapons) but so far it's sufficient. Laying mines then luring enemies to them at a corner and shotgun in the face has saw me kill almost everything so far >.<

13. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Tip..Staff, for some reason with Alchemy enabled my game falls over at launch...press Play and boom 'Fallout 3 has errored and needs to close', without Alchemy it runs fine but with some hitching in the radio music (speech is fine)

14. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Same here. I noticed that it would crash when I launched the game via the launcher, but once I started using the fallout3.exe directly it never crashed.

BTW, falloutlauncher.exe, the launcher itself, is the only file that has Securom in it. The fallout3.exe is not protected, so if you launch the game using that file you don't need the DVD in the drive. If you want to change graphics settings then you would need the DVD. Of note, using the launcher I always had that crashing error when exiting the game as well (before and after adding the ALchemy listings btw), but by using the fallout3.exe directly this has never happened. It also seems to allieviate issues to some degree with other crashes people have been having, although not completely.

Al_Vampyre and Trusteft like this.
  15. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Game crashes everytime I tried using fallout.exe

16. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Well, thank you sir! Now working with Alchemy (or at least it started!) I'm off in the Capital Wasteland now...I may be some time:D

17. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

How high is your repair skill? Usually you can't due it higher than that. And if it really high you usually need a few weapons to get it at full strength.

Perception doesn't increase that much from the ant skill.

Man one thing I hate (with the way I play these games) is central station. There are so many paths so many directions I went through about 75% of them to the different parts of DC then was like F it. Only part of the game that made me do that.

18. Trusteft

Game crashing when I try to run the game this way.

I had an interesting encounter earlier, what felt like an ambush, by 6+ super mutants and 2 centaurs. The Combat shotgun is my new best friend.

19. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

that combat shotgun is great, the only thing that can beat it is the plasma rifle (ammo for which is until late in the game very rare)

I "finished" the game last night, completed the major plotline, but i decided to reload an old save and try to complete as many sidequests as I can

20. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

Installed it yesterday and started playing around. Once into The Wastelands, i immediately diverted from the main storyline and started exploring. Found a mini-nuke within the first 10 minutes and knew the game was going to be fun. Wandering around one of the local schools was genuinely a creepy experience in 5.1 at midnight. Can't wait to get home to play some more!