Fan not spinning on Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 64 Nitro+ 8GB HBM2

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Mr Cairo, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So it took a while to realise but I noticed that my PC was quieter than usual and after a little searching I realised that none of the 3 fans on the card were spinning at all .. I knew they had been a couple of weeks ago when I went in to check for any dust (I didn't do anything just had a check)

Checked the BIOS and the Fan control speed is set and on boot I do get a little spin but then after that nothing

so what changed and the only thing I could think of was a new Driver set a couple of weeks ago so I rolled back the drivers and the fan are now working

Updated drivers to latest set and fans not working

Rolled back and they are working and then not working when I update

Looking through the software I found a fan control speed setting in Tuning that was enabled and set to 0 rpm

I disabled that and applied it and my fans kicked into life ...

Is this an odd bug or something new ... BTW the PC was under load when I noticed I was editing and upscaling someone's kids birthday home video

IvanV likes this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Thanks for sharing this! Note to AMD: send new cards to the market before you kill people's existing GPUs, please!

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Zero fan has been around for a very long time... I disable mine since my 5700 XT completely blocks the X570's chipset fan and those temps climb high when idling... I can't hear the 1200ish RPM of the Nitro+ over the rest of the fans in the system, so I thought I might as well keep it disabled.

Just know that if the system crashes (or the AMD software does) it will go back to being enabled.

Also the Zero RPM mode is only active during idle and your GPU will be perfectly fine with it enabled... In fact I would leave it enabled if it wasn't for the chipset fan thing I have going on.

QB

Mr Cairo likes this.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Zero RPM was introduced in the R200 and 300 graphics card era. It's been a thing for vega, rx 400/500 and navi gpus. The only time zero rpm is active is when temperatures are sub 60C usually, some cards are designed to run 50-55C and once 56C is hit, the fans will briefly spin up

The ideal temperature for most cpus/gpus at an idle happens to be in around 50C anyways. Reason being is that there rapid change in temperature when they do get put under load don't see nearly as much of a shift as previously, the other reason is that they can now monitor hot spot temps (mostly AMD's cpus and gpus are vastly superior in terms of sensor data and adjustments, intel can't hold a candle to it and nvidia's gpu is arguably just about as far behind).

Anywho, regarding the x570 chipset fan and gpu, chipsets hovering around 80C is well within their nominal range. Unlike say nvidia's nforce chipset that constantly run in the 100C range (gaud damn they were hot).

There is a reason that for example, asrock's x570 boards have a semi-passive mode, typically the fan doesn't even need to run at all, and they are functionally doing their job even with a thick ass gpu crowding it.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I just figure that tiny chipset fan should spin as slow as possible... If Zero RPM on the GPU is enabled it pretty much spins full speed 24/7

Even now at idle with Zero RPM disabled and a case with superior air-flow the PCH is spinning at 1100 RPM.

QB

IvanV likes this.
  6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Thats what made me notice it I do a lot of video editing and during processing the fans are normally working pretty much constantly to output the video but they were 100% silent and that was unusual ..I took the side off the case and the fans were still but there was decent amount of heat