Fan videocard whirring noise

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Neshi, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I do not want to look a gift horse in the mouth by any means but I want to run this by you guys anyway.
    So I've won the Palit GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo on this forum a year or three back. Which was awesome by the way. Thank again, so very much!
    Anyway, as I was using a laptop at the time I never could use it. But, the sensible guy that I am, thought I'd hang on to it and did not want to sell it... because, selling a gift (even when won at a competition) is just not done imo.

So recently I've put together a new rig as my laptop died, and was able to dust the good ol' GTX off and put it to good use. I bet that card thought he'd die of old age without ever seeing action! The card performs beautifully by the way, however, there is a little niggle and I'll explain.

Whenever I play a game, sometimes I hit an intensive part where the card really has to work and gets hot. 85Celcius hot... and the fan starts really making rotations and with it comes noise. According to measuring software this starts happening around the 70% speed and up. (guesstimate of 2500rpm+)
    listen: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xjFp2VvoDV

So I am unsure. There are no wires touching, otherwise this noise should appear at lower speeds as well. And if the worse comes to worst, how would an RMA even work? I do not have a receipt because it was won here, and because I only started using it some 3 years after winning it, would Palit even consider an RMA...?

The reason I'm asking this is because the one thing all reviews I've read agree on, is that this card is very, very quiet. Even HH has said about this card, and I quote
    Any advise appreciated

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

to me that sounds like a bad bearing...... the high pitch uneven screeching sound right?

like bad due to be dry... not necessarily due to not being used as not being used shouldn't have a problem obviously.

It's rather disappointing how many video card fans have poor quality bearings used, One of the number one reasons I've had video cards I've sold die, is due to fans burning up after the bearings have seized (NOT BECAUSE OF DUST OR DIRT) and then of course frying the card due to overheating.

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

And it wouldn't be due to dust because you kept it in the box and never opened it anyway until you used it. Maybe HH will give you another one? :D

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Hey, will raise it at the weekly meeting next week and see what can be done...

Calliers and Neshi like this.
  5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I very much appreciate it Stuart

Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Can't wait till the meeting is done and see what the outcome is. Good luck Neshi!

7. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Check your PM Neshi...