Far Cry Performance Consistency

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Data1232, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Data1232

Data1232 New Member

Hi guys,

I just finished playing the demo version of Far Cry, both the Fort and Research Levels. I was initially shocked by the horrible performance that i recieved with the Fort level, and consequentially updated my drivers to 4.3, as well as set my anti-aliasing, and ansio to "application preference." This really didn't do much, so I kinda just sat there and played. Now with my hardware i've been able to get some very nice framerates out of some pretty demanding games. In the UT2004 demo, i was doing pretty well with all the details turned. Then i found out that people with my hardware level,and higher were faced with the same problem of poor performance. Puzzled I thought that the game was just poorly coded. But then when I heard that the Research level was out, i though i'd give it a go, since many people were saying that they had noticed remarkable performance results despite some anomalies such as missing textures on rocks. I too noticed this, as my framerates were much smoother, and it really felt that my hardware was doing it's job. So my question to those of you who have bought this game is, do you feel that your framerates and overall image quality are much better than what you noticed in the demo, or do you feel that a sort of inconsistency exists throughout the full version of the game that reflects the discrepancy between the two demo levels. I'm also wondering if the 1st level in the demo was not ready for prime time, and the second level was much more optimized. If this is the case then in the full game is everything much more optimized and smooth? I'd like to get a good idea of how the real game pans out, as I'm pretty interested in buying it, but don't want to be saddled with a poor performance experience. Thanks for your time.

P.S. In the demo version, I always ran the 1st level (Fort) in the "Medium" settings at 1024x768, any higher and my system would become very slow. In the second level (Research) I decided to set everything at "Very High" at 1024x768, and got some very nice results.

2. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember the demo looked like a horrible unfinished beta version. The full game seems to be highly polished and runs wonderfully on my machine. 1280x1024 with everything maxed and AA 2x.
    I was getting quite a bit of lag in some parts of the demo but not the retail version. I would definately reccomend it.

3. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

uhhh so you have everything at Extra High and 2 AA and that resolution??

what your system specs cause reading reviews with TOP machines showed the game runs lower then 20FPS at those settings

4. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

I got a P4c 3.0Ghz running at 3.4Ghz
    1GB RAM (This really helps)
    Radeon 9800Pro
    2 Maxtor 120GB SATA in RAID0
    All put together in an ABIT IC-7 MAX3

I think I'm probably getting about 25-30FPS sometimes higher depending on the level

5. Danhill

Danhill New Member

I run the game at 1280x768, everything maxed out in the ATI Control panel, AA&AF set to applications pref. Game settings is on MAX, when outside my fps is 20-60 (sometimes 80) 20 is the lowes that I've seen for a few seconds, and inside I have about 40-100 fps. I run Cat 4,3.

6. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Forgot to mention, I don't run the above OC, everything is at stock.

7. germanjulian

you guys dont have the demo right? full version.

8. Data1232

Data1232 New Member

How much of difference does the added 512MB of RAM make? I mean during the Research Level I was doing fine, but do other levels call for more memory?

9. germanjulian

512MB is fine..... Let see how much ram I use when I play brb

OK. at 1280x1024 with no aa and af (aa is really needed at that res) and everyhing at "Very High"

I get 30 to 15FPS with my system.

RAM usage is a wopping 416MB.... poooo thats a lot acctually. lets see if playing at high makes a difference and lower res....

brb

at 1024 with High settings I still use around 400MB. FPS are much higher :)

oh and I think I could get quiete a few FPS more by installing my drivers proper but I cant be asked right now....

This game does use a lot of RAM. switch all your applications of you dont need and tweak windows

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  10. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

I think it only really makes a major difference at the begining of a level. I dont have the stuttering issue at the start because of the RAM. For the most part though, the game runs really smooth.

11. germanjulian

yeah it does run rather well with high settings. I am happy. hope HL2 will be the same

12. SJae

SJae Banned

I run the game at 1024x768 with everything set at either "Very High" or "Ultra High" (for the water option, I think). Outside the game, I have set AA to 4x and AF to 8x Perf (using Cat 4.3 on AtI 9800 Pro).

I also have 2.7GHz, 1GB dual-channel PC2700 RAM, and a 7200RPM HDD with 8MB buffer.

The game is smooth and boooooootiful!!!

13. Data1232

Data1232 New Member

Okay, i'm getting the general impression that the game is much more polished in it's final form, which makes me glad because i was really interested from the demo's. Thanks for your responses guys.

14. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thats right, I have the full version.

15. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

i love this game. i just may marry it. i dont know about any kids though yet. we re stiolll discussing it. :rofl:

16. Buddahpest

Buddahpest Active Member

Sorry, beat you to it. We got hitched last night. We even consumated the marriage!:w00t:

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

HL2 runs faster on my rig.. Actually HL2 runs great.

I'll know the difference in performance by tomorrow I hope..