FarCry Fans! ALERT!!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

A Brand new 3rd Party MOD/Addon is now available for those who love FARCRY. In development for over a year and a half, I discovered this was just finally released for public download on New Year's Day this year.

Called, Matto4, it's an all new 7-level addon that picks up a few months after the end of the original FarCry. A snippet from the developer's page:

"You’ll fight through 7 excellent designed levels while you continue the Matto-Story by playing Jack Carver. United with new team-members you’ll enter the A.R.M-Complex to fight the guy that shot you, once again.
    Armed with several new weapons you’ll fight through temples, industrial areas and of course the jungle.
    We gave our very best to get the best graphics possible out of the cry-engine 1."

Or, you can stop reading my nonsense and just go grab the download and maybe see a few of the screenshots.

There are two open download sites and maybe those in the UK/EU will get better speeds on that end, but, for the US players, I highly recommend the FileFront server.

http://www.fc-kartografen.de.vu/

Now....why are you still reading this? ;)

EDIT: I just finished downloading, installing and playing a little bit...

You're going to fall in love with Jack Carver all over again!!! I kid you not!

EDIT2: I've discovered one caveat that I've already reported to the developer. After exiting the game to report on this great MOD, I went back to the game and tried to LOAD my last Checkpoint. Doing so, whether from the Matto4 Desktop Icon OR from starting FarCry itself and then attempting to start the last Checkpoint resulted in my system rebooting right at the end of the LOADING sequence. Well, I was able to get back into the game by simply selecting START like you would a new game. Then, once the game starts, go to the Menu and select your PREVIOUS checkpoint (as STARTing a new game rewrites the most recent one) and the game has worked flawlessly from that point.

I'm loving this MOD!!! See Screenshots below. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Matt04 Screenshots:

They must be using Windows.... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone for Greaseboard diagrams....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What engineers...er...game developers....do in their spare time...

[​IMG]

Anyone for Jack Carver Stuffed Display?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure I'll have more to come.... ;)

As promised.... If you don't die from gunshots, you'll die from laughing.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  3. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

Looks cool! Downloading now. :)

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

what an awesome game, I dont think this FPS has ever been surpassed.

5. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Totally agreed. Its amazing that is pretty much came from nowhere, and it now probably one of the top 5 games ever. Even today, the graphics and AI hold up with the best of them. Crysis may be the only FPS better.

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Nice tip, got to reinstall farcay later then :)

7. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

With all the latest patches and such, the game really shines now. In fact, now that I've ordered a new video card (x1950 512MB version), I'll be sure to install FarCry again and CRANK UP the graphics. Can't wait. This mod will be the first I'll play. Thanks for the heads up Dyre, I loved the old Matto levels.. good to hear he's completed more of it.

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

dyre thanks for the headsup, im really enjoying this, you could almost think it was an offical expansion pack as its so professionally done. well that is until they start to speak, the voice overs are appalling. Jack Carver now sounds like a cross between olivia newton john and michael jackson. And when you meet the russian on the first level who you join up with? he runs around after you like a monkey saying "damn, I think they have discovered us" about 350 times in 5 minutes. When you have 10 enemies all firing SMGs at your head, and this asswipe is standing in front of you (running left to right like some mutant retarded zombie) saying "damn, I think they have discovered us" ......... I never wanted to kill a character so much in a game, ever. Also noticed some glitching on the character models........

Still overall, very impressed. well worth digging out your copy of farcry to play with.

9. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

If Zardon is impressed it must be decent! There needs to be a Zardon approved stamp or something.

10. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

If I uderstand it correctly I should download Matto 1, 2 and 3 too to "continue the story", right?

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I have been playing Farcry over again with the X64 mod (for x86) that makes it look really cool.. And a bunch of mods to the config file to crank the image quality up a few notches. I wonder if this mod will work with threat? Anyway, thx for the heads-up- I still actually have FC installed from quite a few months ago.

edit- yup, still looks good after all this time...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  12. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to reinstall farcry to try this...

13. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

I reinstalled it yesterday and found that with my new proc and current vid card I was able to put 4xAA 4xANIO and ALL the settings at VERY HIGH and I'm averaging around 50+ FPS! I can't imagine how much better it will run next week when I get my X1950PRO.

I've seemed to lost all my visual tweaks though.. can someone point me in the right direction to find those again?.... I think it was a heavy modification to one of the .cfg files. Made the water more blue and increaed the LOD or something.

EDIT: nevermind.. found them at Tweakguides.com :)

14. e!i

e!i New Member

Mod's like this must be why I am of the opinion that pc's are better than consoles.

15. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Yeah.. I hear ya.. Oblivion's mods and tweaks are no match for the 360 at all. My only grip is there are just to few "good" PC's games nowadays. We get maybe 1 or 2 AAA titles a year where now it seems the 360 is getting all the innovative stuff.

16. Dowaco

Dowaco New Member

Matto4 continues the story from Matto3, But 1 and 2 are not related. You can really see the growth as a modder/mapper in Matto as he progresses from one mod to the next. He gets better and better. I really consider Matto3-4 to be the Far Cry 2 that never happened. Also, there is a patch in the works to be released soon. Who ever heard of a patch for a community made mod? That speaks to the quality of the mod team.

There are lots of surprises in this mod including a new ubergun that is outstanding and worthy to be named in the same breath as the ultimate guns in Half-Life 2 and DOOM3.
    New friendly AIs, a new bad guy, dual weilding, new music... The list goes on and on. Much more than you would normally expect in a free fan-made mod. I thought the voice acting was the weakest part, but the humor is a trademark of Matto and will not disappoint.

Get it and play FC again.

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Does it overwrite anything? I'm about to install.

EDIT
    I just installed it to a separate folder and it answered my question- it says right at the last step that it overwrites no files.. So it should be OK.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Just started the mod.. Damn, I think I like it more than the original Far Cry so far.. It's really fun so far.

Some screens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna have to try ver3 after I get done with this..

19. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Far cry is still one game i still play to this date.....Thanks for the heads up.. just a pity it has taken 6 hours to download the mod...

I'll be trying this out when i get a chance too... and for all those teasing sreenshots,it's looking good.

20. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

I'm trying to play Matto2, but it is almost unplayable because one of my memory modules (KHX3500/512) died recently so I have to run on 512MB until I get a new one. But the mod looks good :)