FarCry: Flickering Textures

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Abunai888, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Abunai888

Abunai888 New Member

Hiya, new to the board. After looking for feedback for this problem at a couple forums I was pointed over here. Hopefully somebody may know what may be causing it. I appreciate any help.

The problem Im having is with FarCry. I have an ATI 9800pro, non OC'd. Whenever looking at a substantial distance (zoomed way in with sniper or binocs) certain textures start to flicker around trees, rocks, the shoes and backpacks of enemies, and particularly on the shores where the water touches the sands. Basically if its moving or animated at long viewing distance the textures on the object are flickering. From the normal viewpoint everything runs flawlessly, even zoomed in halfway doesn't pose any problems. And keep in mind I havent had any known artifacts or glitches with any other games. Ive had a couple people tell me they have had a similar problem and thought maybe the next FC patch would solve it. Only others with the same card say they havent noticed it at all. Ive tried Cat Drivers from 4.3-4.6, properly uninstalled and installed. Same deal. Any ideas what the issue may be? Is it a known flaw in the game or something on my end? Thanks again for reading.

2. apoch003

apoch003 New Member

It's a farcry problem. Not one with your card. The Sniper rifle in particular shows this effect as its zoom is greater than on other weapons.
    Instead of using the effect of moving closer, it's an actual ZOOM of what's there. Magnifying the mipmapping in the distance.

3. Abunai888

Abunai888 New Member

Ah, so at a certain point its just basically beyond what the game can handle stably displaying those textures? Im kind of surprised this wasn't covered more in reviews. I know its sort of a nitpick but one of the game's strengths that was touted was the immense draw distance.

4. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

I don't think that is a problem with the game. I've never experienced it on my end--either on v1.0 or on v1.1 after patching.

I've used Cat 4.3 through 4.6 (on overclocked 9800Pro) and never ran into that problem. I don't, however, just uninstall a driver set through Control Panel before installing a newer one. I always restore my computer with a clean image without a GPU driver preinstalled.

It may be your driver buildup in the Registry. If you really want to be sure that it's not your driver, do a fresh install. Even Driver Cleaner does not get rid of all debris left by driver uninstallation.

And, to save some time in the future, you might want to look into imaging programs like Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost. They'll save you time.

5. VuLLs

VuLLs OverClocking Record 6 GHZ

i have ati radeon 9700 pro all in wonder series. i play far cry and i dont see any flickerin textures. i DO however can not play above the meduim level of the video options. if i set to high or very high the game lags like a mother giving birth or something to that degree. i have p4, 1.9 ghz, 200 gig hard drives, windows xp, 256 mb ram, 1280 paging file for virtual memory. and a viewsonic optiquest v773 monitor supporting only 75 hertz with res of 1152 x 864. i hate how my computer cant handle counter strike 1.6 or far cry or unreal tournament 2004. this is total imbalance and hacks and oh my gosh such things shouldnt exist. i pay 400 buck or so for a radeon in hopes of hl2 cd keys and my dad gets the wrong radeon, not only that but it sucks for gaming i dont understand :( i've tried all drivers and over clocking and bios setups and all they do is damage hardware and make my display funky or black screen. i am definately getting verto geforce 6800 ultra. that thing is a beast and is the only card that supports shader 3.0 which i will use for my mods and programing so um ya. ^_^

6. Targetone

Targetone New Member

ROFL Playing Farcry with 256 Ram! With your system and 768-1024 MB Ram it is possible to play with 1024x768 and all settings at max.

7. VuLLs

yes i know i need more ram but i cant get any more ram because the guys dont make rambus for my motherboard any more. so i need to get new asus mother board, possibly gonna get p4 with hyper threading see if that helps. and 512 ram at least. its still playible but ugly looking hehe... hey least i beat the game so im decent player with lag and low fps ^_^

8. Targetone

Targetone New Member

Rambus for your board? I found an offer for Rambus Modules RDRAM PC800 and PC1066. Try to google a bit, but they are really expensive, one 256MB module costs app 120 dollar.

9. VuLLs

ya i know alot of my system specs are expensive because my dad works with some computer factory and he always sticks to some brands and never gets anything new because he thinks they suck or some crap :/
    but i think its about time to upgrade everything in my computer any way, the motherboard cant handle alot of todays games and i need a new power supplyer as well. whats the best motherboard to get for games like doom3 and hl2 and far cry? my dad is probably gonna get me more asus brand mother boards. i need to get 768 ram, p4 with hyper threading, new monitor supporting 100+ hertz refresh rates, geforce 6800 ultra verto which i may be getting this friday ^_^ ;; and what else do i need... oh ya a new sound card possibly pci audigy or what ever its called. now i hear alot of this amd stuff and athlon crap i dont know wtf they are just yet because like i said my dad sticks to one brand so i never get to learn or use anything new but if u guys give me detail explaination perhaps i can print this out and he can read it and hopefully be persuaded to get some new stuff. :)