Fast- Growing Cloud Computing Market Under Threat BSA Reports

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by sahara_mafia, Feb 22, 2012.

1. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia member

Japan leads the world in cloud computing readiness with Australia in second place, but most Asia Pacific economies have more work to do to ensure its preparedness, a first-of-its-kind study by the Business Software Alliance (BSA) found.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

How can so many people trust cloud computing for anything but the most trivial is something I still find shocking.

3. The Captain

The Captain Active Member

Because it's cheap and flexible.

Trust is a big issue, though. Governments and cloud providers need to provide and support strict privacy policies which prevent governments from obtaining data in the cloud without a warrant. Right now, I think the US government can get around this in some way or another.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Cheap? I find that, in general, subscription based services often tend to have higher total cost of ownership than pay-once alternatives, so that's something that needs looking into on a case by case basis in my opinion.

Also, apart from trust (like that's a small thing), there's the issue of reliability. You do something yourself, it can fail, but you control the odds (redundancy etc). Cloud on the other hand, while ideal in this matter in theory, leaves you only the option of praying that something bad doesn't happen. When people first started talking about it, they said that "cloud" meant more than just a web based service and talked about impossibility of failure, among other things, with redundant servers on independent locations around the globe. In practice, that's not true and we've seen even the biggest players, such as Amazon, being completely knocked out.

So the only thing cloud has going for it at the moment is the hype and the "don't worry, be happy" idea it sells to the people keen on washing their hands of responsibility for their own IT infrastructure.

5. The Captain

The Captain Active Member

I agree that the Cloud isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to any imaginable problem, but it does have its advantages in certain circumstances. For example, if I have a highly-variable workload, it might be faster and cheaper to have a cloud handle it, which can expand the number of machines dynamically on the fly, rather than managing a bunch of hardware yourself. On the other hand, though, if your workload is pretty stable, it might be better to use simple hosting services or internal hardware.