Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Size_Mick, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick New Member

Any way to get a "mini-manager" tray applet going, strictly to control mixer functions?

Long story short, if I'm to give up on sndvol32 I'd like to have a replacement that doesn't take up much memory. Currently the KX Manager applet is using 6.4MB of memory, and that is quite a chunk when you're trying to squeeze out every last bit o' performance you can get.

I used to use a neat little program called VolumeTray but it conflicts with my multimedia keyboard driver now (since they updated the keyboard driver -- the old version had a horrible memory leak).

So now, basically I can't run anything in the tray, which makes it a little inconvenient. I mean, I'm running the KX Manager, but the memory requirements are a bit much for my taste. I'd like something that takes up less than 1MB if possible. I'm not talking about a replacement for the full Manager, just an additional mixer tray app that I can run instead, since that's pretty much all I need in the tray normally. TIA

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I agree. A mini tool with only the most basic functions would be nice to have as an alternative. If it would be possible to make one without having to put down too much programming time. :)

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i don;t see how that would help without sacrificing DSP routing, sound quality and card performance

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

The regular kxmixer.exe doesn't have to be active all the time for things to work. The real problem might be if it wouldn't be possible to have a volume regulator actually do anything without having most of the other modules active at the same time. I don't know much about how it actually works but that obstacle feels likely somehow.

5. Size_Mick

Size_Mick New Member

I was under the impression that the Manager itself was only there to change settings, so I would assume that if you're happy with the way things are and have a general purpose setting that you seldom change, that you wouldn't need the entire Manager loaded in memory all the time. The only thing I'd really need is basically a replacement for sndvol32, to make it easy to adjust things. As it is now, if I *don't* have the KX mixer loaded, I have only my mm keyboard driver to adjust volume with, which while normally fine, doesn't give me abilities like individual volume sliders for each device, or an easy visual indicator of whether the sound is muted or not, the level, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong and it's the Manager itself which holds everything together, and if you turn it off, it turns off all the settings? But that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd assume the Manager is only needed to *change* settings.

Perhaps an option could be afforded to "Launch KX Mixer only at startup", and in the Mixer applet is a button to change "Other Settings" or something. Whether the full Manager or just the mixer loads at startup would of course be optional, with perhaps the default setting to be to load the whole Manager at startup.

In any event, my point is that it would be nice to have a mixer and not have to use 6.4MB of memory. If this is possible and not hard to do, I think it would be a nice option.

6. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

ok, let's discuss 'kX Mixer memory usage' :)

(since this topic seems to be interesting)

kX Mixer really uses some memory -- and since it is skin-based, it requires memory for storing graphics images
    however, one can always spend 2-3 days and create a 'skinless' skin (I don't have enought time for that, but everyone interested is always welcome to participate :))

also, about '6Mb': just install Creative labs drivers. and measure memory usage (don't forget about a 'hidden' process cthelper.exe! -- their driver uses -much more- memory, especially if you don't disable all the start-up items, such as volume indicator, surround mixer, remote IR utility etc etc...)

also, you can always unload the mixer, if necessary
    you can even unload it on start-up (there's an option: "restore settings and quit" -- mentioned in the help file)

-=-=-

but, of course, certain features will be lost (such as RemoteIR, SPDIF-In Decoding, kX Automation etc...)

/E

7. gunther

gunther New Member

If KX is meant for novices and advanced users alike, simple mixer UI could have some uses for the novices (and for those who don't have use for the advanced KX functions).

Atleast the issues cropping from users changing settings they do not understand about would be limited. Plain skin does not prevent such.