Fedora Core 4 test 1

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by RIV@NVX, Mar 16, 2005.

1. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

It's out :w00t:
    I'm currently downloading it at college, it's currently ~100KB/s, I hope it will even go a bit faster and that I will have the complete file on friday. :)

I will report how it looks once I get it.

2. RIV@NVX

I got it... I haven't tried it yet, but I will do it soon(tm).

3. DirtyRussian

DirtyRussian New Member

Yea man, please post your thoughts on on the fedora 4... I have not tried red hat in a while, but I am interested to run in on my lappy.

4. Zulan

Zulan New Member

hmm ~100 KB/sec aint that much, you should use the torrent file, got over 300 KB/sec with that.

But anyway, i don't really like fedora that much, seems a bit clunky, it's fast sometimes, but then all of a sudden it's slows down to a crawl.

5. TJ-

TJ- New Member

might give it a shot when it comes out in a magazine...

6. RIV@NVX

Kind of disappointed...

I'm kind of disappointed with it. Well, it is TEST version, I know, but I'm still disappointed, and here's why.

Major things that bother me:
    1. Ethernet devices take forever to become "FAIL" if the link isn't active. It was much faster in FC3.
    2. Boot time is significantly longer (about two times on my machine) than in FC3.
    3. GDM is broken - you can't login without updating and most users (including me) don't know how to update without logging in.

Minor things I also noticed:
    1. Lots of warnings in the back of installation.
    2. New java section has no icon.
    3. Text on reboot screen is out of focus.
    4. On boot, text usually covers text written before it, so you miss some messages.
    5. Lots of warnings also appear on boot.

Couple of things that I generally dislike about FC:
    1. Lack of NTFS read support in the kernel. Almost every other distro has it.
    2. Download size. Like what, 2.5GB? I know that it means a lot of software, but they could do some basic version as well (like (k)ubuntu does).
    3. "Defaulting" to GNOME. KDE in FC is "aditional", and GNOME is "main". Even I prefer GNOME, I don't like when distributions favour one desktop environment a lot more than other. (It's probably the same with SuSE and GNOME, but I haven't tried it and I can't say about it.)

Well, I guess we should wait for FC4t2 to say something more about Fedora Core's progress... ;)

Sincerely saying, if you want a distro that is up to date and user-friendly, (k)ubuntu is better choice, and it's final version is coming soon. My brother already uses kubuntu hoary preview, and it's quite cool. :cool:

7. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Heh - Gentoo has no default - you choose what you want for pretty much everything :)

8. RIV@NVX

And everything gets about the same amount of developers time and attention? A great approach, it seems ;)

9. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Not really. Gentoo dev's mainly work on what they choose to work on. I think we have more people working on GNOME than on KDE though.

10. sc3252

sc3252 New Member

major
    1,3. Well this is a test what did you expect.
    2. I wouldn't be surprised if they had allot of unnecessary stuff booting since it is a test version and not the final. I would expect for the final to boot allot faster.

For everything else i have to tell you that this is a test version and should not be used at all!!!
    But i do have to agree that they should have some type of net install disk like Debian and other distros to cut down on how many disks you have to burn.

one more thing don't use test 2. Fedora core is pretty much a beta when it is called stable, so don't expect the experimental version to be stable or to work at all. Good thing you posted this, I may have been dumb enough to forget how much of a beta fedora core was.

11. Konge Odin

Konge Odin New Member

Kubuntu and hoary 5.04 is officially released now.
    I am currently using 71.84 nvidia drivers.
    It has been working good for some days now. I would have attached a desktop image if I could seems like the attachment cant be larger than 1 Byte for the moment for some reason.

12. RIV@NVX

Yes, and I'm currently downloading it... BTW, both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are Hoary, since Hoary is just the code name for the version.
    What has this to do with linux?:confused:
    If you want to attach a desktop screenshot of your linux distro, visit this thread. If you want to upload an image, you can do it at the following links:
    http://www.imagehosting.us/
    http://www.imageshack.us/
    However, there are probably many more :)

13. Konge Odin

Konge Odin New Member

Just thougth the nvidia driver version available or bundled in this release was of interest if someone wanted it.

The graphic options for the windows and desktop of this release are quite massive. Which I think is interesting. ;)

14. RIV@NVX

FC4 test 2 is out.

They updated GNOME and KDE to lastest stable versions (and probably fixed broken gdm, heh).
    I probably won't be downloading it (*cough*Ubuntu and Kubuntu final releases*cough*), but if anyone does download, please share your experiences with us.

15. Shaga

Shaga Intelligent Life Form

I truely recommend on trying ubuntu hoary hedgehog, if you pick kubuntu, remember to type
    # apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    k in kubuntu comes from the letters KDE. I use that command to get ubuntu gnome.

I have many public ubuntu "warty warthog" cds for x86/x64 and I'm waiting for my hoary hedgehog cds :)

16. RIV@NVX

I'm using ubuntu :p
    I thought about ordering CDs, but I think there are some problems shipping to my country...
    Still, I hope it will be solved at some point. I might ask around if I get time, but Ubuntu's shipit FAQ mentions Croatia as problematic.