feel like a n00b and got a problem

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by zamac_man, Jul 17, 2006.

1. zamac_man

zamac_man New Member

I have a radeon 9500 pro, that is giving me problems. It does not matter if I am playing games, or just surfing the web. Anyways the screen will lockup for about 5 seconds, then the screen will flash. After that, it acts like no drivers are installed (screen moves slow). This happens about 5 times a week. Also, sometimes when it comes off of standby the screen will be all blury. Both of these are fixed after restarting. I told this to ATI and got this

Greetings!

Lockups and hangs in the operating system can frequently be attributed to out of date or non present chipset drivers for the motherboard, missing Windows updates or corrupted or outdated video card drivers. In most cases, loading updated chipset drivers, updating video card drivers and installing available Windows updates will resolve these issues. Click the following link for more information on chipset drivers and VPU recover errors:

http://www.ati.com/online/customercare/solutions/oslockups.html

Windows is up dated. I have installed the 6.5 drivers, and it still did it, now I have 6.6 and it does it.

Now, I dont have a clue how to update the chipset drivers. I downloaded a chipset utility from the mb website, but when installing it the computer restarts.

Asus p4p800
    p4 2.4c
    radeon 9500 pro

2. Spyre

Spyre New Member

Sounds like VPU error recovery is kicking in, a hardware problem of some sort rather than drivers usually (unless its in a specific game which yours isnt)

3. zamac_man

zamac_man New Member

Yea it does like a vpu error recovery. I don't see any where to take that off. I just want to make sure my card is not dying. I can live with it doing this every now and then, but I don't want to die with me.

4. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

its a hardware issue. it may or maynot directly be with your video card tho.

i would unplug it and plug it back in - you may even want to restore your system (as a last case scenario, but i would do this on a regular basis - backups are good to do often).

i had issues like this relate to memory on my motherboard. doesnt mean its your issue, but try TROUBLESHOOTING the other components in your system, swap and remove them.

i belive annother issue with freezing is HEAT. this is often a problem - the chip would heat up because the fan cant spin anymore (or to much dust in the fan and damaged it), possibly even the heatsink not even being seated correctly (not to mention the card itself not being seated all the way in the slot). a friend of myne's fan went bad and he did some really weird crap just to get a new fan on there (didnt wana spend money :p).

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons