Fermi Series Mass Availability Q2

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by Tahir Khan, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Tahir Khan

Tahir Khan Hardware Geek

Read Full Story Here.

Mass availability of the "Fermi" GTX 480/470 not until Summer 2010

2. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

As the news piece mention multiple price points and Quadro hopefully we'll see an almost full lineup which will be great for us mid-stream purchasers who normally have to wait 3+ months to get in on the action.

3. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

hahahahahahahaha nvidia is getting PWNED!!!

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

now all ATI needs to do is drop a bomb and release the refresh to the 5xxx series with the 6000 ready for shelves late fall early winter

5. deBelly

deBelly New Member

No, what a shocker! :D
    Seriously, if there is any truth in what they are saying on Semiaccurate, Nvidia is in some deep... problems.

IvanV likes this.
  6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I can't understand how a big company like nvidia doesn't have a quick reply for Ati 5xxx generation. I thought companies always tend to have something planned up their sleeves just waiting the right moment to reveal. Like we saw , AMD 12core cpus for servers , and sure Intel is somewhat near if not ahead.

This looks like nvidia was extremely surprised with unexpected AMD achievement. Maybe because , nvidia used the rebranding game too much that it can't create something creative now.

7. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

nvidia for years they were thinking they were the best bcz they were "ultra rich"

but now ATI comes back with awesome products

and not thinking they are the best..just improving stuff.

(yea yea i hate nvidia w/e)

8. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

There's always pre-ordering :)

9. Tahir Khan

Tahir Khan Hardware Geek

NVIDIA would have had "Fermi" in development since the original G80 launched.

The problem is that NVIDIA have aimed the architecture at the professional market as well as gamers and have added features that have ballooned the die size making it hard to manufacture.

It seems the mistake NVIDIA made was overestimating the ability to get TSMC to manufacture this beast of a chip at 40nm and rumours being spread are that NVIDIA broke design rules from the fabrication plant which meant that they were running against the laws of physics.

Remember when the R600 launched? It took a whole new generation for ATI to have a reply ready with the mighty RV770.

10. Judas

yeah.. nvidia had the 8800 ultra floating around.. and ati's answer was delayed repeatedly, then oventually was a flop, followed by a massive failure at the highend lvl and "respectible" products for the low and midrange lvls. The 2900 was roasted....

So not only did nvidia sit on their ass then, they continued to do so throughout the 8800 sieres only to bring us the 9800 series which really wasn't the big of an improvement, longest space between refreshes. Also AMD/ati merger was taking place which caused a number of issues including the AMD stock drop and countless other issues which gives them a good excuse to fall behind only to pick up the peices with the success of the 3000.

Now if ati can push the envelope and not sit back in their easy chair like nvidia did.... nvidia will have to step it up

11. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Oh well, I guess I can hold out until early Fall for some competitive prices. I'll either get a Fermi card or ATI's refresh provided which has the better performance for the price.

12. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Well, if ATI survived the HD 2000 series, Nvidia will pull thorough this. Still, I wouldn't want to be in their skin, they have burned themselves badly on the current 40nm technology and their first chance of getting a competitive product out of the door is the end of the year and still untested 28nm process.

I'm not sure what other manufacturers and technologies could currently be available to Nvidia?

13. Tahir Khan

Tahir Khan Hardware Geek

Imagine the irony if NVIDIA choose to ditch TSMC in favour of GLOBALFOUNDRIES for the refresh to GF100 at 28nm?

Why this may not happen so soon is due to the issues with fabrication plants having different design rules and the time needed to adapt.

EDIT: No matter what silly rumours are spread about NVIDIA's demise they are in a much stronger position than AMD were when HD 2000 series launched and are in a much stronger position despite not having a DX 11 card. This is one of the reasons why Fermi caters to the highly profitable HPC market however it seems overdesigned and way too ambitious.

14. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I was thinking GlobalFoundries, but I'm not sure whether they have completely broken off the ties with AMD (I think that AMD still has quite a bit of GF stocks), so I don't know if the door of GF would be open to Nvidia. Other than that, ATI has already announced that their next generation of GPUs is most likely to be manufactured there.

As far as I know, Intel doesn't manufacture for others and they aren't on such great terms with Nvidia, but if the green guys could crawl deep enough up their butts, Intel does have a working 32nm process.

15. Shaith

Shaith New Member

ye.

16. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Makes no difference to me, my GTX 280 is still enough for me. I probably won't be upgrading at least for a year or so GPU wise.

17. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Ditto for my 285, unless I can resell it for a good chuck of money it's probably not worth upgrading yet.

18. Judas

nothing is better then producing your competitions product and getting paid for it..

for amd to disallow making nvidia's product is very stupid

19. Tahir Khan

Tahir Khan Hardware Geek

I don't believe GLOBALFOUNDRIES would turn away business from NVIDIA - they are a big customer for TSMC after all.

20. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

I don't think that's a possibility. Their margins are the industry's highest.

Well, that's expected, considering the 9800GT is the 8800GT. :D