File not folder backup app

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Chops, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Chops

Chops Member

Hello:
    I wish I could prevent this from being a stupid question but I'm at a loss. Does anyone know of a file backup app where I can select which "file(s)" to back up rather than a whole folder? Every Backup software I've tried only has folder backup. There are some folders I don't want everything backed up, but only select files. I understand many apps will check for changes within a folder, but that still means it backs up every file.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

How about Dropbox, OneDrive or one of their competitors?

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Depending on just how many files you have to back up, it could just be a matter of using the CTRL key and then selecting which files to copy. I don't use a specific "back up" program, but, I DO back up/save important files and data to a separate HDD from my system drive.

4. Chops

Chops Member

Thanks for your replies.

Dyre, I use the CTL key now and it's laborious as you can imagine. I'd like to assign hot keys to common extensions of files in various folders, hit it and voila' done!

Takaharu, I currently use OneDrive which is about the closest thing I've come across so far. OneDrive though doesn't have the capability to assign a hot key to initiate the backup and one must go through the settings>choose folder>Files etc each time. I have specific files with common extensions I want to backup, sometimes up to 100 files (some new some old) at a time.

The sweet thing about OneDrive is once it's closed those files no longer take up space on your drive (I don't like keeping backup stuff running in the back ground 24/7. It's also unnecessary). Just Start OnDrive and they appear on your drive and you're ready to work. I just wish it was more flexible.

My thought was if I could file an app which will permit me to select files easily and point that app to OnDrive I could save tons of time

5. clubrope

clubrope Well-Known Member

I'm too late to answer, but I will anyway. Try dropbox. You can select the individual files you want to back up if that is what you want. It is time consuming, though. I back up per folder, so it is not time consuming. What I like most about it is that I can access my backed up files anywhere :)

6. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

7. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

You can try these software,
    1. Recover My Files
    2. Free Any Data Recovery
    3. Orion file recovery software
    4. 7-Data Recovery

All these are free software.