File Sharing Debate !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Jul 2, 2003.

1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

File Shareing Debate !!!!!!

#1. Isnt there a law agenst spying on people online?
    I'd think its right alog the lines of wire tapping ... just on the other end.

#2. if so isnt the RIAA and universal breaking that law?
    By monitoring networks tracking there uasge of these public and private networks, geting ips tracking back users, and supplying info like what, when, where and notifying their ISP ?

#3. file shareing your take on this... I think its a good thing ... you can try before you buy.. just like some people do with games. some people like me Bought these CD's the songs came on and they were damaged or destoryed or lost / stolen and why should i buy it a second or even a third time??

#4. RIAA out of hand? they say they lose so much money buy really mention once before someone said there was indipenant resurch that proved file shareing actually Helped CD sales.. people like to hear song before they spend $18 on them

#5. on cnn a lawier for the riaa said that the cost of cds is going to have to go up alot to comensate for this flieshareing thats going on... isnt that just going to support more piracy? i man who what to pay say $30 for a cd???

#6. riaa becomeing sue crazy ... what go does ir do to sue someone for 150,000 per song shared!!!
    many people useing the service are teenagers ... how many have say 150,000,000 laying around?
    why sue when they cant get paid. (uless they catch one of billgates kids or somthing)

#7. there was a case allready were a teen had to sell his car everthing just to pay towards the riaa lawsuit .. i mean come on ? next they will be stealing candy from babies. isnt the riaa just totally and unreapairable damage to the image?

#8. did you know the roalty to the aurto for 1 whole full cd ? suprice its usally something like 30-40 cents .. so like 95% of of the cd sales are mostly profit ... doesnt file shareing help keep the prices down.. if the price is to great then you'll have more people downloading songs ...

#9. Who wants to pay $18 for a cd when you only like one song on it??

ther are good points form both side lets hear them .............. FIGHT

2. SafirXP

SafirXP New Member

AFAIK the privacy laws were dumped in the garbage after 9/11

record companies are greedy blood sucking b4st4rds... they're gonna try to get every cent they can get filthy hands on! but services iTunes are great. RIAA should encourage these services. the govt if so interested... could even subsidize companies providing these kinds of services (like iTunes).

read about this DJ in australia who was arrested in his home & now is facing a 3 year term! i see this whole situation getting worse.. a lot worse! i dig stopping movie & software piracy. well, only if software & audio CD prices could've been cheaper! i dunno what've rambled about but both sides are at fault here. millions of people against some f**king companies... well i choose the people!:evil:

3. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

!. The RIAA is losing money from file sharing......but its not like there losing all there profit! They still make a lot of money!.......2. I do think they are laws against spying on poeples computers....what they are im not so sure of.......3. If to do they raise the price of a CD then yes i do thiink more people would commit to piracy...would you pay 30 bucks for a CD? .......4. They will never stop filesharing unless they shutdown the internet and cease all lans!....

4. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

So what? Sears make a whole hell of a lot of money, does that mean it's okay to shoplift from there? The thing about intellectuay property that most people don't understand is that if you don't protect it vigilantly, you lose the right to protect it at all. Plainly put, if you don't protect your copyrights, you lose them.

5. McDEATH

McDEATH New Member

Hello @URWORSTENEMY

U remember me?

I don't know what happend, other link is closed,
    have u Probs to Store the Stuff?

How many MB's is it ...all in all ...Tell me Plz!!!

OK....

Asta Manjana...C ya

McDEATH

6. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

It's illegal, so stop trying to justify it. I really can't blame the RIAA; I wouldn't want my intellectual property taken either.

7. Stormy

Stormy DH Mafia Don

Yeah, but that's not yours, So blah! :p

8. The_Neon_Cowboy

yes and no. Who lobbied to make it illegal? defoatly not the magorty of the people... just the bussiness orgizations like the riaa ...

also did you know more people are engaged in file swaping than everyone who voted for bush in the last election!!!

big bussiness is throughings its weight and $$ around to maniuplaye the laws and the government ..by defonion the means the system is corrupt.

that the magory wants something .. but yet the minoruty is served insted? that is worng. reps are supposed to represent the people not LINE THIER OWN POCKETS

9. digerati

digerati Everyones life has worth

Someone have a bit too many drinks on this joyous 4th? :lol: :lol: :D

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'll second that....

:hmm:

:D :D

11. The_Neon_Cowboy

sadly no ... thats tommarow night

what i said its true

12. Judas

oh ....:hmm:

Your so lucky this isn't in the flame warzone.... :w00t:

13. MeesterKu

MeesterKu New Member

File sharing isn't all that bad.

It's very much illegal, yes. But as I've said somewhere in some other thread, if I want to watch things like anime, then I'm given little choice. Companies simply fail to release DVDs here, or even in the US! Until that time, I have no choice but to use file sharing.

That said, as soon as the DVDs become available in the US at least, I then throw away the AVIs which are presented in grain-o-vision and buy the DVDs which are in infinitely better quality, and the subtitles don't go at speeds that we mere mortals could never hope to keep up with - in that sense, it's good for the companies, as it's free marketing. Of course there are many others who'd have no intention of ever getting the DVDs.

However, to all the concerned companies, if you want me to uninstall all this stuff, you'd better start releasing these things to us. It IS bloody expensive to import those DVDs...

--
    Sonikku

14. HawK

HawK Banned

Just my 2 cents...
    It is legal to put groups/bands/artists in a "strangle" contract for 10/20yrs
    refuse to make further albums, than after this contract is over, make loads of greatest hits and sell those with big profits, without giving a single cent to that artist ?

It is legal to push CD sellers in rasing the price of CD's, for loss of profit for music company's due to pirating/copying, and than arrest those same people for doing just that?

I bought 3 times the Led Zep's 1,2,3,4 (2x vinyl 1x CD)
    and can't play them anymore due to schratching and so,
    and if I copy them from a friend, I am being illegal ?

Riaa stated they sell less cd's, shure, but never said DVD sales are up
    ever heard of "you can't spend your money twice" RIAA??
    wouldn't a "small" resession have something to with that too?.

if I am illegal in those matters than so be it, sue me..
    Which brings us at the only winners in this case ...

THE LAWYERS

15. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I used to download music all the time, but eventually my ears showed my the quality of music I was downloading wasn't quite up to snuff. I won't even touch movies since I find the quality totally unacceptable.

However, I have a question.

Let's say I go into a grocery store, and I have a device that allows me to duplicate anything in this store. Now if I go around "copying" items would I be stealing? Would it be more fair for me to pay a percentage of the cost of running the store instead of paying full price for the items I'm copying? What if I write a poem, then it gets published in a book. Now someone comes along reads this book, and then copies my poem to put on their web site but they still say I'm the author? The copy right laws were put in place to replace the theft of a song not the playing of it or listening to it. Organizations such as the RIAA & MPAA do not care for such things as iTunes because there is not as much money to be made, and that my friends is the whole jist behind this.

Instead of fighting file swapping make the quality worse by using filters that lesson's the quality. Record companies have released full MP3's of albums w/ voice overs of who's property the music is. I think this is a good idea so the listener/customer can see if an album is worth purchasing. The whole point is instead of trying to fight the swapping they should use it to their advantage. I don't understand how a business can be losing money, and then use even more money to pursue law suits against people. Not very practical if you ask me.

16. Judas

Man, that's excellent way of putting it... never thought of it that way......:eek:

17. The_Neon_Cowboy

I am with you on that my girlfriend is a anime freak! $$$? ouch

you should of seen the fileswaping that went on at LANWAR

18. digerati

digerati Everyones life has worth

Personally I've got a lot of MP3s on my computer. And because of those MP3s I bought the first Linkin Park CD and the Eminem show as well as Offspring Americana. Those CDs were mainly good songs right off the next. But most of the other songs are one hit wonders on a cd full of trash. And I won't even listen to an mp3 if it's not 192 or higher, although I prefer the uncompressed WAV file. Good stuff.

Point is, you want me to buy your music? Let me buy the single for a dollar or 2 or 3 dollars max. Or drop the price of the CD. Everyone knows there is no need to charge that much at all except for the RIAA to line their pockets.

19. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

Well first off not all that money goes to the RIAA......second i attained the new Staind cd 14 shades of grey....i though it was a very good cd...of course not what i would have expected form staind....and since i liked and got the chance to hear the whole cd i went bought a copy

20. Judas

I like for people to try stuff as well..... you don't walk into a car dealership and have them expect you to buy the car before you test drive it? I supply a fair bit of songs over the net at 320lkbps quality.... Full cd's at a time.... i have had up to 15 people downloading from me at once at 30kb/s which means alot of bandwidth at my end....