Finally a Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Jac, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

My first foray into multiplayer online games was Battlefield 2142, a game that I loved and played to death. I could still walk the paths of Camp Gibraltar with my eyes shut. The spiritual successor to that for me was Planetside 2, again played to death. I have been watching Star Citizen with great interest for years, wondering if it would ever actually be a game - there seems to be two polarised opinions on the project, either a kickstart scam that will never amount to anything or the most ambitious game ever devised.

Well since CP2077 is still months away and with nothing else piquing my interest I decided to drop some money on Star Citizen and bought the cheapest starter pack that was available. I have to say I am happy with my decision. Yes the game is still an alpha and many parts of it are clearly not finished or need some serious polish. That said I got Crysis levels of immersion from playing over the weekend. Crysis, one of the last proper PC games was something special back in 2007. SC has a similar vibe for me with its level of immersion.

After playing Sunday afternoon and evening, basically as an interplanetary delivery driver. I made my lost drop off at an outpost on a moon named Lyria. An ice covered ball orbiting the industrial planet Hurston. The sun was setting as I dropped off the cargo and I decided to take a rest. I powered up my Aurora MR and skimmed the surface of the planet for a few KM heading into the encroaching night. Put her down, powered off and opened the doors. Stepped outside and admired the view of countless billions of stars reflecting off the icy ground. Then headed back into the ship, sealed it and climbed into the bunk for some sleep (or logging off in real world terms)

The icing for me was having a quick blast on Monday morning, starting up the game to find myself right where I was only now the sun was beating down on the ship. There's currently a freefly week for the game so you can try it out for no cost. Expect lots of bugs but also some pretty awesome visuals and attention to detail. If you decide to buy in I have a code that will get you (and me) some extra UEC credit when the game goes live.

STAR-MLVQ-YTH5

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I do believe you threw away your money, if you were planning on eventually playing a finished game. BUT, if you enjoy what you already got and since it is your money not mine, I am glad you had fun with it and hope you continue to do so.
    Nice of you to share that code for anyone who wants to use it too.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My older son is really gung-ho with this "game that's been in the works forever" and tells me about his exploits from time to time. I do have an account but rarely get back to it. The last time I actually started it up was right after they went with Amazon's Lumberyard engine.

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

So I've been playing for a good few months now. It's a pretty unique experience, the scale and fidelity is like nothing I have played before. Currently it's a great experience but it is not a game - to go further I would need persistence. At the most recent Citcon, persistence was a topic raised and is what will take this game to the next level IMO.

Two levels of persistence were mentioned, basic persistence whereby your currency and purchases would persist after a patch, allowing you to develop your character, your ships and weapons. Then full persistence, meaning any action you took in the universe would linger. You could pick up your ship at Teasa Spaceport, fly it to HDMS Operai and leave it there - then come back to the game a month later and it would still be where you had left it (as long as no one else had been along and destroyed it), your coffee mug would still be on the table in the galley where you had left it!

That level of world building is still a way off and as it stands I feel I have gone as far as I can with what the game can offer right now. It seems another database wipe is upcoming meaning anything I have accumulated will soon be lost. This has some real potential and I want to come back to it when it has fully realised its vision. For now, a few screens from my travels in the verse...

Quantum.jpg Asteroid Belt.jpg Train to Teasa Spaceport.jpg View over Lorville.jpg

Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.
  5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I do have it installed as of its patch from a couple months ago. But, it hasn't been something that compels my interest like it does my son's. The concept is intriguing and, perhaps, at some point it will be something I wish to spend some time...and real currency... on. But, not for now.

6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Quick heads up for anyone who is interested - Invictus Week is about to launch which means the verse will be open to everyone from May 22nd to June the 1st. You will be able to fly some of the ships on display at the Bevic Convention Centre at Area 18 on ArcCorp.