Finally got Bf2 but freqently getting an lost conection error

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Mar 31, 2006.

1. br00ksintexas

br00ksintexas New Member

Neon,

I have the same chip as you, and I was having the same exact problem. It was intermittant as all F and I just didn't understand it. Well, after literally DAYS looking online I think I figured out what it was. Try this....
    Have your Windows Task Mgr up and open. Have the Processes Tab clicked. Then click on Memory Usage. Once that's done, click on your BF2 icon to initiate the game. While it's initiating, click on the bf2.exe in the process tab, right click it, then click Set Affinity. Then from there uncheck CPU 1. Once that's done, click ok, X on the task mgr, and enjoy the game. Since I've started doing this, I've not ONCE lost connection in game. I'm running a crappy cable modem thru a Linksys router (it's hardwired) and it's a 5mb down and 1.5 up connection.
    Now I get a very low in game ping and I avg. from 60 to 90 fps with everything on high. I'm not complaining, considering I was previously playing it all on my laptop.

The new rig is a Gateway *gag* GT5034 - AMD Athlon 64 X 2 4200+, 2 gb Ram, 320 gig HDD, Antec Smart Power 500W, Thermaltake Exh. Fan (80cfm), BFG 7800 GT OC.

2. Xiann

Xiann New Member

I have the same problem as you. I can use BF2 after a reboot for a couple of hours then it will start disconnecting me until I reboot and the cycle continues. I have the A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboard. What I have noticed with mine is that the problem lies within the motherboard. Onboard NICs and add-on NICs start to act up after a couple hours of use. When you surf the internet it doesn't seem noticeable but if you use other applications that require internet access it will start to generate errors. Windows Update will start to give error codes, ASUS Update will stop functioning, online games will disconnect you, et cetera.

Here is what I have tried:

Disabling all devices I do not use.
    Updating all drivers.
    Disabling my firewall.
    Disabling then enabling the NICs (it usually makes the NIC behave for an hour or two more)
    Reloading Windows
    Formatting then installing Fedora Core 4
    Formatting then installing Fedora Core 5
    Reloading Windows again
    Adjusting NIC properties
    Adjusting BIOS options
    Using an add-on PCI NIC
    Using a more powerful PSU
    Connecting to a different cable modem using a different cable line in a different area of the city.

Additionally I noticed that my NICs will start having negative response times when I ping something and the latency will vary greatly. Like it will be -7ms then jump to 150ms. I like the negative numbers though. It responds to an ICMP request before the request is made.

Nothing has resolved my problem. I'm probably just going to RMA this board as the NIC problem isn't that widespread.

3. blown503

blown503 New Member

8 hrs??? Maybe its trying to tell you you have played enough for the day, get some exercise! haha :duh:

4. Xiann

Xiann New Member

I fixed my connection dropped issue with BF2. I applied the AMD X2 patch from AMD.com and the problem went away.

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I playd all day yesterday and about 8-9 hours in it tried to do it to me once...
    other times just a f hours in so there is no ryme nor reason to it ... I can only
    suspect something on EA's side. Since my internet connection is uninterupted
    when it happens