Finally!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peate, May 27, 2020.

1. peate

peate Active Member

Finished building my new tower, installed kX and I'm so happy. Now if I could only remember how it works. :p

It's gonna need a little tweaking and so will I.

2. peate

peate Active Member

A few issues after testing: Where did the synth go? Used to be output 2/3, now that's used as master mixer?
    Tried all outputs, no synth (sound font loaded). I get sound from 2/3 with the Midi mapper, but that's MS software synth. Also, where did wave 0/1 go?

How can I get kX 32bit mixer to load at start-up with my saved DSP? I tired with a shortcut in the startup folder, but I get an error about a missing file and should reinstall; tried that, still get the error.

The good: It sounds great. I can finally record properly. The RX seems a lot quieter than my Live with AC97.

3. peate

peate Active Member

Further testing. Asio works great, all channels where they should be. No crackling or noise with minimal buffers.

Figured out the loading of 32-bit mixer at start-up with my saved DSP and both ProFX and UFX plug-ins work.

Media Player Classic plays 5.1 movie soundtracks and channel mapping is perfectly handled with or without Surrounder. Front comes out of FXBus 2/3 (used to be 4/5) so everything has moved back (to allow for 7.1, I guess).

Still can't figure out where the synth went. Is it not supported anymore? I mean EMU invented soundfonts. They load no problem, I just can't play them.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  4. peate

peate Active Member

Two more issues: Sometimes, when I load a web page that has a video on it, there's a loud click/pop heard. Only happens once, but every time a page loads, like Youtube for example.

DSP plug-ins seem to have a life of their own. Sometimes they act like I'm pressing the mouse button when all I'm doing is moving the mouse. Sometimes they'll move and other times, a wire will appear on one of the connectors and follows the mouse. I click on an empty area and it stops. Not sure if it's kX or my graphics, brand new card and everything.

Still waiting on any info about the synth. Otherwise, the extra capacity for plug-ins of the Audigy rx compared to my old Live is much welcomed. I'm further impressed with kX.

Anybody have a nice skin for 3553?

5. Doug W

Doug W Active Member

Greetings peate,

I think I recognize your name from way back in this forum. I have not been up here in ages. I have had kX installed on on newer Windows 10 Machine and I just installed it on an old tower I picked up: Specs are awesome: Pentium III, 256Mb Ram, 20 gig hard drive. SBLive value card and a Live!Drive. I hope to try some recordings soon.

Sorry I can't offer any skins. I never did any programming for kX. Just going to spend some time remembering how it works and to see if I can record maybe 4 tracks on my new (old) machine before it cracks up.

6. peate

peate Active Member

I also recognize you. We've both been members since 2003. I had stopped using kX due to hardware. I just built a new tower with an RX card. Awesome sound even without using Wave HQ. kX works great and I'm having a blast trying different layouts. I found the Proui skin works with 3553, not quite as nice as the previous one I was using with 354?, but it's a minor thing.

Is the kX synth working on your Windows 10? It doesn't show up as a vol. slider on the master mixer page on mine. That Pentium III looks a lot like the system I had when I stared using kX. That was a lot of ram in those days.

It's a shame all the regulars from then are mostly gone. Gave up due to loss of compatible hardware like I had? Not any more.

If Eugene still reads this Forum, maybe he can shed some light on the missing synth. ;)

7. Doug W

Doug W Active Member

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned i, but both the Wave/PCM and kX synth sliders are missing on the Windows 10 computer.

8. Epsilon Cygni

Epsilon Cygni New Member

Hello @peate,
    the hardware soundfont synth is not implemented in the kX driver under 64-bit Windows.

There are a few possible solutions for this:
    - install Creative drivers instead of kX (after some tweaking it might be possible to switch between kX and Creative driver at any time), or add another EMU10kX card to the PC and use kX drivers with one and Creative with the other (my system is set up this way);
    - install a 32-bit edition of Windows 10;
    - install a software synth (e.g. Roland VSC, Yamaha S-YXG50, CoolSoft Virtual MidiSynth, etc. - not sure which of them work in Win 10);
    - if you only need to play back MIDI files, use a player with a built-in synth (e.g. Falcosoft MIDI Player).

HTH

peate likes this.
  9. peate

peate Active Member

Thanks Epsilon, I figured it had something to do with 64-bit Windows. Do they even make a 32 version of Windows 10?

It's not a big deal, more of a mystery that needed to be solved. I'll look into the synth players you mentioned. I was using Synthfont but it's a bit outdated. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my old Live Platinum card with no PCI slot available. Anyway, the RX is so much better, I don't even think about re-using it. I do miss the Live drive a bit, but I've got a small Yamaha mixer plugged into the rear Line in and all the inputs I need.

Long live kX.

10. peate

peate Active Member

Well, after a month, I must say I'm very pleased with the Audigy RX, and with my SSD hard drive, FAST. It's so much more "generous" when it comes to building a DSP. The output is a lot hotter too. Ask the neighbours. I solved my synth issue with Coolsoft Virtual MIDI Synth, but every time I start it, I get an error message about MIDI drivers.

The only "bug" I can think of, is when I surf to a page with an embedded video, there's a click-pop sound, not very loud and happens only once, but for every page with a video. Not really a big deal.

11. NattyDredd

NattyDredd New Member

Hey, peate, Doug W, Epsilon Cygni :)

I haven't dropped by here for a while, though I'm still using kx on two Windows 10 64 pc's - Im using two Audigy2 zs' with the game/midi daughter cards/ports and the Drive bays (I may have mentioned this last we spoke).

As for the midi, though Epsilon Cygni is right about elements of the midi not implemented in Win10 64 (No kx synth), the only thing that I had midi-wise was the midi/game port wasnt seen by Win10 - the manual install of the creative midi driver sorted it in Hardware Manager - though it worked fine even when Win10 didnt recognise it!.

To get KX Mixer 32bit to load at startup, requires a registry tweak, startup itims, make sure it points to the 32bit kx mixer - works like a charm, also allows then to use the updated proFX and uFX which are only 32bit (I remember peale, last we spoke you provided the proFX for me - still very much appreciate that :) )... This is great when using the 64bit ASIO in a DAW :)

As for kx skins, Im using the ProUISkin (RC2 - I have several versions of this skin, this seems the most complete)

I cant remember where I got this skin, was online somewhere blatantly... if you need it peale, let me know!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  12. peate

peate Active Member

Hi Natty, how's it goin' ?
    Finally, the missing synth is no big deal. Didn't really need it after all. :rolleyes:

I figured out the start-up issue. All that shows up when kX loads is MX-8 with all my audio sources. I used to drive an MX-6 but that's a whole other story. o_O

ProUISkin. That's the skin I'm using now, it's OK, better than the default. The one I had before was called TS or something like that. It had a nice dark blue-green DSP background. I should look into building one, can't be that hard, or is it?

13. NattyDredd

NattyDredd New Member

Hey, peate.. yeah, man... I'm doing alright :)

I do remember a time way back, opening/unpacking a skin, Mackie Skin I think it was - in order to have a look at possibly designing my own skin. From what I remember theres a fair bit of work involved, especially if starting from scratch (designing faders, buttons, backgrounds and so on)

Probably easier porting an older skin to the newer version of kx? If I remember, various kx resources were moved over to github..
    https://github.com/kxproject/kx-audio-driver - there maybe a few places on github where kx resources are?

I know when I set my kx up, I had to do a lil tinkering to get it set up correctly at startup. Main thing was the installer would point to the wrong folder initially, changing that to the kx32bit mixer sorted that - without that, the 64bit kx was being initiated which meant none of the 32bit fx (profx & ufx) showed up... I do remember reading a thread here that the ProFX that are bundled with the installer are buggy...

Then I had to manually register the 64bit kxasio.dll in order for any DAW's to see it.

I use the MX-8, which is my main point of contact, everything goes through that so makes routing stuff easy, once I set the DSP up!
    Explain peate, "I used to drive an MX-6 but that's a whole other story" :)

Is great that theres still a few of us about, using kx..

14. peate

peate Active Member

An old Mazda MX-6, 1991. Fun car, had it for 234,000km's
    [​IMG]

NattyDredd likes this.
  15. NattyDredd

NattyDredd New Member

haha, ahhh the car MX-6.... :p for some reason I wasn't expecting that... hehe

I had a classic 1602 BMW back in '91... a bygone age!!!

16. peate

peate Active Member

What happened to Master mixer (Waveout 0/1)?

Is there no way to get sound out of it?

Oh right, it's hidden under SPDIF/AC3.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020