Firefox 0.9 Final version is released!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Helios_D, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

anybody know of a way to put in a IE style download manager into firefox? if that's there, i would throw IE away again :)

2. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

Omega, I use Firefox b/c for me, Mozilla has always been the buggy one instead of Firefox. :D

Firefox isn't perfect yet though. There are a few sites where I can't log in even though the site may allow me to type in my user ID and password. When I try to click on the "login" button or tab to it using the keyboard and pressing enter, it still won't do anything.

In those few cases, I have to resort to IE to login to the site.

Hopefully, these minor issues will be worked out in the official 1.0 release this summer.

3. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

Ok, here is the BIGGEST reason why I turned over to Firefox over IE.

I restore my computer often using imaging programs like TrueImage. Each time I do, I import the Favorites from IE. IE, however, doesn't maintain the hierarchical order to my Favorite folders and links to the state it was when I first exported it.

I don't know about you but this aspedt of IE is very, very annoying to me.

Firefox, fortunately, doesn;t have this problem. IF you export your favorites in Firefox and later import it back, the order and structure of your original state is faithfully restored. Gotta love it!! Too bad though that consisten Favicons are not supported.

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

IE sometimes does that aswell… so its not browser specific

5. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

Here is why firefox is better:
    Pop Up Blocker/search toolbar integrated
    Smaller/Faster
    with a hack of the Chrome files ALL adds can be blocked(pop up and banner)
    The extensions ROCK('x' clears all temp files/cookies/passwords/etc w/ one click, smooth scrolling, etc)
    And best fo all...it ain't Microsoft!

6. M_A_D

M_A_D New Member

How do you do that?

7. crlorentzen

crlorentzen New Member

Same for all Mozilla Variants.

here is the registry file.

this adds WMP9 support for both Firefox and Mozilla. copy and paste into a txt file save as *.reg
    be sure to remove the line breaks.

8. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

Actually, IE uses less system resources than firefox...it also loads faster. This is probably the one thing that matters to me most, since ill have 3 IM programs, ventrilo, a game, and 2 webpages open at once...so I compared these two.

the fact that IE is from microsoft is trivial...microsoft makes some great products.

9. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

You're right in that--IE does load faster and consumes less resources. Some games will really start crawling if I have Firefox opened in the background--such as Deus Ex 2 and Splinter Cell:pT.

10. crlorentzen

crlorentzen New Member

for me Firefox loaded faster than IE, and Mozilla. and as for IE using less resources, keep in mind much of IE is already loaded into memory by other microsoft programs. and if you could look at exactly how much IE has loaded it would probably constitute more data.

11. MapE

MapE Designer

I luuuuv the extensions :)

12. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

The best browser, and .9 is even better!

13. grog

grog Roxy Music

I have been using FireFox for a while now. Just went to .9 the other day.

For me I like Mozilla since I use it under Linux. FireFox is really just a smaller version.

You really get hooked on using tabs.

Greg

14. Boztech

Boztech New Member

What the bloody hell are you talking about man? Firefox is the browser component of Mozilla. Mozilla is a suite.. a port of Firefox, Thunderbird, the Netscape editor, and an IRC client.

The reason people tout Firefox is just because of that.. it's 'lite'. Less to load, less code, less dependencies = fast. The whole premise of the design is to be minimalistic.. you can pick and choose extensions and plug-ins for only the functionality that you need.

That and it's devoid of all the bugs of Netscape and anti-standards compliant and security-pathetic issues of IE.

15. Boztech

Boztech New Member

Exactly how can you play a 3d game, talk on 3 im programs and vent, and look at 2 webpages all at once? :hmm:

Christ man pick what you want to do. IE loads faster only because it is compiled into the Windows OS. As a standalone application next to Firefox IE would be a tank.

If any one of you has ever dabbled into webmastering even the least bit, particularly hand-coding, you will quickly start to realize how terrible IE is. It makes little attempt to comply to the w3 standards. As a result it renders standardized code however it wants using 'Quirks mode.'

On top of that, it's a security nightmare. Just the recent patch exploit alone is evidence of that..

http://news.com.com/IE+flaws+used+to+spread+pop-up+toolbar/2100-1002_3-5229707.html?tag=nefd.lede

If it weren't for half-assed browsers like IE we wouldn't have malware and spyware running rampent.

16. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

Well, I know how hand-code too and it's not just IE that is guilty of breaking the standards of the W3C--all browsers do. Even Opera either doesn't support some features or does it badly.

17. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

i play ravenshield mostly, between rounds i look at webpages...i use vent to talk to my teamates, trillian to talk to friends via text, and xfire to join games.

18. blown503

blown503 New Member

Well Ie gets the most hacks. When you run this one it like having winxp sp2 all ready installed!

19. crlorentzen

crlorentzen New Member

Actually I believe that Mozilla Suite is still XPFE based, that's Netscape engineers program. Firefox is a completely seperate program. It uses the Mozilla name and the GRE (Gecko Runtime Environment) but I am pretty sure that Mozilla and Firefox have not merged the code for the browser engine.