Firefox freezes system

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by LeanWolf, Jan 21, 2014.

1. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Hi guys!

I've been an Opera user for a long time now but I see that the new versions (since 12.16) are a re-boot of the browser based on Chrome. That´s fine I guess, but I figure if I´m going to learn a new browser I might as well move over to the one that's got WAY more support; ie. the much touted FF.

So I've installed the latest stable (v26) but I'm getting complete system lockups after barely a minute or so, I'm not even surfing, just checking the options (which are pitifully few - I'm missing Opera already).

I've tried reinstalling but it made no difference. Somehow mashing the keyboard occasionally unlocks it (who says anger doesn't accomplish anything?), but never for very long.

I know there are more than a couple of ardent FF fans here, does anyone know what the problem could be?

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I had similar issues in the past week. Solution for me was to let the windows boot up and run for a while. Then run FF and it works fine. If I start FF straight away it jams the system.

3. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Well that's hardly encouraging, but thanks for the response! :)
    Struggling to get it working smoothly just messed things up worse.
    Meh, guess I'll stick with Opera for a while yet.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

that's.... extremely odd.

don't hold onto your firefox interface.. the new interface that has been running on the version 28 and up lookspretty much identical to that of chrome as well.

I run x64 Firefox which is currently v29

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

No lock ups here, but I'm still on V.26 with Windows 7 x64.

6. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Ok so I've decided to try again, and this time I went for the "nightly" x64 version.

So far so good, lightning fast and not a single lockup (knocks on wood).

Is there also a secret place to find addons for x64? There's a big warning about using 32 bit addons for this version, but I've just installed AdBlock and it seems to be working just fine.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

8. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

9. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Since I never read the posts - I see a title and respond to it immediately with whatever is on my mind at that moment - I'm just wondering if you've tooken a look at your Add-on Plugins screeny.

I think you should blow crap away - within reason - in there that you don't know about.

Did'ya have IE installed first with all the associated IE muck-module OCX garbage and whatnot?

With personal certitude: the IE Flash and Shockwave thingajamigs will cause prollems with Fire Fox; blow that crap away (install the necessary FF add-on as required).

'As required' means you blow the feces away and go onto the next thing lined up there for one on the golden interwebs path. When you get notified by Fire Fox - not some stupid interweb site trying to trick you - get the specific plugin that Fire Fox is advising.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014