FireGL --> Radeon

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by dc443, Jun 24, 2007.

1. dc443

dc443 New Member

I have a FireGL V5250 card in my Thinkpad, which is based off of the Mobility X1700. I've seen a bunch of guides for converting a Radeon into a FireGL, but I would like to do the opposite and I have looked all over the internet without success for a method to do so. I'm getting about 6500 in 3dmark03, which indicates that it's about as fast as a Radeon 9800, and I'm sure if the drivers can somehow be made to pretend that the card is a Radeon, I will get much better performance out of it. There has GOT to be a way to do this.

Oh, and to clarify, I have been able to get the mobile patcher tool to work, so I can install the latest Catalysts, but it doesn't seem to help because the card is detected as a v5250, and there is a "Workstation" tab in the CCC... and performance did not increase significantly. I'm trying to force the driver to think it's an x1700 so it will enable the Radeon features and disable the workstation features.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. PassedOutGhost

PassedOutGhost New Member

Have you tried flashing your bios to an x1700? It might work

3. dc443

dc443 New Member

There's another thread about the same thing and i've found a place that has a mobility x1700 bios, but I don't really want to risk rendering the laptop unbootable if something goes wrong or if the bios file is bad.