Firewall Choice?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Warpy, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

I'm after a nice software firewall, anyone have any good recommendations? I'm using Windows XP SP2. It doesn't have to freeware so long as it's good?

2. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, free. Or get the pro paid version which has some bonus like ad blocking etc.

4. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

Comodo Firewall Is what I would recommend

5. JohnDoe47

JohnDoe47 New Member

Get a Router, a software firewall will only destroy your pc's desktop performance. As soon as I installed my Linksys Router, Zonealarm Pro wen't absolutely quiet, no incoming threats. A standard router will do the job but if you want that extra protection get a firewall router which you can pick up for around £40 ($80).

After I set up my router I disabled windows firewall and uninstalled Zonealarm Pro. MEGA performance improvement.

6. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

I do have a DLINK 624 but I was told I needed a software firewall too, just for added protection.

7. JohnDoe47

JohnDoe47 New Member

no you don't mate. if you wan't that added protection just keep windows firewall on which won't eat any resources

8. JohnDoe47

JohnDoe47 New Member

Go on Warpy, save yourself the hassle, the guy who told me about only needing a router and no software firewall has been building computers for over 20 years, my PC was even built by him in december 2003! Even he has the same router as me and has never used a software based firewall in his lifetime!

9. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

The router does a grand job of keeping junk like portscans out, but the router can do nothing to decide if traffic is from a wanted application, or an unwanted one.

Behind a router though, a software Hips http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services may be more relevant, the process control capabilities of many firewalls being as important as their net marshalling, and an area where Windows firewall is totally useless.

Of course you can do without a firewall, you can also do without an antivirus, since behind a router and with up to date windows patches, you cannot be attacked from outside. The problem is the crap YOU might invite in, by opening an email that contains a trojan, or in software with unwanted passengers.

The watchword is "layered defence", from prudent avoidance of dangerous sites and downloads, viewing email as safe text, to the antivirus which you hope will catch a nasty if it gets through and the firewall/hips which you hope will pick up on unexpected behaviour.

As for a firewall, there is little reason to go with anything other than Comodo - it seems to tick all the boxes, and it's free - just depends if you want any of the extra features in some you can buy, such as adblocking.

10. JohnDoe47

JohnDoe47 New Member

granted a router can do nothing for a program that wants to connect to the internet...not good if you use non-genuine programs. as for email's avg anti-virus free editions has a built in e-mail scanner. granted it can't detect all sorts of things but anything that looks junky gets kicked by me anyways.

Your choice Warpy but Matth has some very good points. I've been running my fresh windows xp installation for 6 months based on a router and avg anti-virus free edition and I haven't detected any problems, slow-downs or crashes for that matter ^^

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Sygate personal firewall is a great software firewall. I disabled it when I got my router though. I watch my outgoing connections with various programs though just to be safe.

12. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Just because the guy has been building computers for 20 years doesn't mean he's right, Nick. What he hasn't mentioned to you is that there are holes in hardware routers just as there is in software ones. Not as many, but they are there. Plus, not every routers built in firewall is the same.. some are crap.. some don't have one.. and some are very, very basic. Besides which there are plenty of default open ports for applications to go through in all routers. For instance port 80 (http), 443 (https), ports 110 and 25 for non secured email, 3389, 23, 1863 (MSN Messenger), plus plenty of others are always open by default, and those are open ports a trojan or piece of malware can get through.

What a software firewall allows you to do is to specifically choose to allow or disallow access to the network (be it Internet/Lan) on a per application basis. Don't want Limewire accessing the net? No prob. Just block it's ass. Sure, some routers allow you to do very similar blocking, however by default they don't, and as I said before, not every router allows you to do so. The cheaper you get, the worse the firewall, or infact, the more likely the router has no firewall at all.

In any case, do you need both a router that has a firewall (again, not all routers have a firewall) along with a software firewall? I guess it really depends on the situation. If you are doing a lot of P2P downloading, technically illiterate, or are risky in your browsing habits, then yes, you should have both. Otherwise I'd say you don't. Personally I don't use both as it get's in the way, however I'm also very cautious about where I go on the net, and I know what applications are installed. Mind you at work I do have both setup on all my machines. I have had plenty of instances where the routers firewall let something slip through (and this isn't a cheap router I'm using either), and since my work data is very, very f'ing important, it warrants being paranoid, so both a hardware and software solution is being used there.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  14. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

I like COMODO + Hardware firewall.

15. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

Comodo for me is the best! simple and free ;)

16. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Two things wrong with this, as I see it:

1. You must have a really slow/old/poorly tuned computer if Zone Alarm killed your PC's performance. Now, ZoneAlarm's AntiSpyware/AntiVirus programs which I believe are part of the Pro suite (correct me if I'm wrong) do take a larger than normal/average hit on performance... but the only machine I actually noticed it on was my K7 600MHz... and even then, not all that much.

2. That Linksys router, or ANY router for that matter, isn't going to stop a rogue program from executing on your computer or accessing the internet (which Zone Alarm will if properly configured or just left at default settings). Look at it this way: You may have stopped receiving alerts for incoming traffic, but what if you get bit by a Trojan or other malware, and it starts downloading more virii and trojans (all too common these days)? Where's your router's firewall at that point? :lol: