Firewall

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Danhill, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Danhill

Danhill New Member

I was wondering, is there any better firewalls than Norton Internet Security 2004??

By better I mean, a program that doesn't start up like 6 applications just to run, how is the NIS 2004 compared to the Window Firewall?? I have SP2

Or is there any programs out there that does the job just as good as NIS but doesn't take up lots of resources??

I'm also thinking of unistlaling Norton Antivirus 2004, as I think the AVG does a good job too, well I don't know if AVG is better than Norton.

I'm just tired to have over 40 apps. at startup and 10 of them coming from Norton!!

So what do you guys think??

2. Danhill

Danhill New Member

How about this program, is it any resource hog??? Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2004

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

one of the best software firewalls was neowatch, from a company called neoworx. Of course the giant McAfee bought them over, then closed them and they released their own brand of bloated firewall which was terrible. Closed a wonderful company then decided to ruin the packages. nothing new there from mcafee.

My advice is to get yourself a hardware router firewall, nothing beats them, you also get the added benefits of being able to build a home network.

if you really must have a software firewall one of the best I used was sysgate firewall pro, dont know what the new versions are like now.

4. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thank you Allan, I will most defeintly go and look for a hardware router, I'm just sick and tired of all those processes that Norton "steals" every day.

5. kelticknight

kelticknight DriverHeaven Knight

l use trend micro pc-cillin security 04.have used them all ,works best for me,doesn't no resource hog like norton or mcafee.have satalite internet.had probs with others ,not with trend.other choice is zonealarm

6. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thanks man, I was thinking if I'm not ging to find a rather cheap Hardware firewall, then I might try the trend micro pc-cillin 2004, I've heard good things about it as well.

Btw, how many processes does it take up, the firewall & antivirus??

7. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

If you want a good firewall that's not a resource hog (mine runs 1 process and uses about 4-6mb ram) and has lots of control options, try kerio personal firewall 2.1.5.
    http://download.kerio.com/archive/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  8. DBdexter

DBdexter New Member

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro version:5.5.062.011 I like it ... what do u think ? It is good ?

9. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

the 'take up lots of resources', the 'a program that doesn't start up like 6 applications just to run', which's by this you probably mean the amount of RAM left or free/available RAM, this should not be your first concern when you're using today Windows, esp, Windows XP.

when i'm looking for a new AV and PFW programs, either i really want a replacement because the one that i've installed starting to act up or i want to try others to see if it would be a better one for my system, i'll want to have the programs that will interact well and no known conflicts with other softwares, including drivers installed on the system, will not cause any sluggish response from using the OS, reliably protect, detect and clean out any new attacks. these will be my first concerns. at first, all these may have to be from other user reports, the programs's reputation and reviews..., until i've tried it myself.

if you would read up these pages you will understand what i would like to point out here.

Rainmaker Redux
    http://www.radsoft.net/resources/software/reviews/redux/

10. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thanks man, well I don't care so much about the ram issue, more that I have so many processes running in the background over 40 and I know that Norton is taking up about 10 of those.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Alot of people dismiss thier Routers.... and skimp on them, spending very little. A Router can make the world of difference be it your top download speeds... stability, latency not to mention the firewall protection it has.

I've walked into to many homes and have seen to many of the "dirt cheap" routers or even just plain hubs. So cheap that they show a connection but tend to be intermitent.... zero protection, and extremely slow.

Frankly, if someones going to spend any money on a router, shoot for a $100 range.... although be forwarned, these will usually do the job for any generic user just wishing to be somewhat protected and or surf the net and do the very general of things. Anyone interested in gaming or other specific things that would put any form of stress on router should think about spending a bit more, Not to mention if you want a solid reliable firewall with additional abilities.

IMO, a D-link 604 is probably the best and cheapest for any user that wants to be protected somewhat, network a few machines together, and run what i'd refer to a low end to midrange Internet connection (say no higher then 3mb/s download or upload rate)

Someone interested in Gaming? want the lowest ping and the most solid connection with a good amount of protection perhaps? might want to try your hand at something with a fair amount more juice, Thier are various D-link, Linksys, you name it routers out thier that should do it, soon as you go beyond the 3mb/s limit, the 10mb wan ports tend to start slowing your connection down, or most likely the router itselfs own speed is capping your download rates or pings usually causing an iratic connection. IMO, i'm read up alot of Xincom, and i've an Xincom router myself, the 402 Xincom router is EXTREMELY cheap while being a powerful beast, and gives you the ability to run 2 connections as one, or as backups.

I saved up my money to buy something that i was sure to last a long time, Provide Excellent protection, be extremely customizable, you name it. Xincom's 502 wasn't a cheap router, but i must say, it's been worth it, Dualling up the net is sweet :)

12. md5

md5 New Member

Well, Norton has a lot of services running in the background as it's doing a lot of different things. I agree with you that it's a resource hog and that it has a lot of unneeded processes running

As alternatives, I'd suggest:
    - AVG antivirus (free)
    - Sygate Personal Firewall (free)
    - Mailwasher (to clean up spam mail)
    - Popupcop (for ad/popup blocking)

13. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thanks for your input MD5.

14. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

For Cable, running a Sweex LB000021 (Edimax BR-6104k) Router - quite happy with it, offers UPNP and/or application gateway. The only irritating weakness is in monitoring - some routers have a complete "stopped log" of all discarded pings/probes/whatever - this only logs attacks, and not even the regular portprobes (one perisher on 61.152.158.109 another on 222.208.168.125 ) show up in the log.

This is a MIPS/Linux unit, ADM5120, see www.norocketscience.com - maybe the firmware hackers can make it even better.

Even a cheap router, generally makes a better incoming firewall than anything in/on Windows. Were it not for some "strange port" servers, I could also lock it down to only allow certain outgoings.

15. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Update:

I didn't find any "cheap" hardware firewalls, but I may have found my new software firewall & antivirus.

Kaspersky Antivirus, well after reading mostly postive reviews of the software I gave it a try and man I was upset I didn't find this program before, it's perfect, fast and stable and doesn't take up any resources at all. It's a great program, I really love it, and the reviewers said that it has better detection than the Norton & Mcafee crap.

For the firewall I went with Sygates Personal firewall 5.5 pro wich also is great and fast.

I will never ever go back to Norton again now.

16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

KAV is a good antivirus solution, viruses/trojans detection and removal engines of this program is quite good. i still having/using version 4.5 for running a manual scan and final checks over the files that i like to keep as a backup. just having some problem with some IBM HOD files and KAV real-time scan in the past, and i don't like to put anything in the exception files lists so i stop using it on the internet PC.

the Sygate PFW is also good, if these 2 softwares interacts well with each other and other softwares, drivers application installed on your system. then i'd say you're all set. well you'll see...

17. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Yes so far so good, I was amazed how much faster my computer was with these 2 programs and I now only have 31 running process compared to 40+.

The only thing about KAV is that it was kinda of slow updating the defitions files and I manually updated it 3 times, every time it actually got a small update, the last 2 was only small ones.

18. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Nope, not at all, KAV update engine is also good, maybe because you just have it installed, in the next few times you should see it downloads faster, files to be updated is very small and smaller.. i can config web/ftp addresses to use in version 4.5, i'm not sure about the newer version...

19. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Not sure either, I think I have 5,0 but it's not really a problem it's hard to say anything bad anyway, in my opion the program is that good.

20. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

just want to let you know...
    in case you've installed KAV on more than one PC, you can just copy Bases folder to any drive, (well, no need to copy it to other location, actually. but i like to keep a backup of these update files in case i've to do a re-install, then my first attempt to update the program will be from local drive.) and enter full path of this update files to be used as a locally updates for other networked PCs.
    again, this is for version 4.5, i can't remember that i've tried and seen in the newer version.

and, another AV program that had a smaller footprints and maybe smoother and connected well with other softwares and the OS itself is the Nod32 for NT.
    i've tried it myself before, then i had to stop using it because of some problem with my slow net connection and the program's internet monitor/HTTP scanning.
    you might want to put this one in your list, in case of you want to try another in future...