First Official Nvidia Omega Drivers release!!! (2k/XP)

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Omegadrive, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Tetedeiench

Tetedeiench New Member

I'd like to know HOW anyone can let his imagination work so much...

I tested in quake3, and here are the results :

Nvidia's 29.42
    [​IMG]

Omega's 29.42
    [​IMG]

Does anyone SEE a difference ?

I'm gonna test on a D3D bench, but I truly think these drivers are just renamed 29.42 ...

2. Tetedeiench

Tetedeiench New Member

And the options are really just like nvidia's, with options forced by default (no anisotropic, Vsync off, and such things...)

I truly thinks this is just a fake.

I'm testing on a D3D game, I will post my results soon.

3. Tetedeiench

Tetedeiench New Member

Here they are, on GTA3 ( I dunno why with nvidia's my shot was seen like a 1280x760 one, but here, we stick to textures, thus I don't think this difference will matters) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NO DIFFERENCE.

And I can say I'm addicted to look at 3d : I'm myself an novice OpenGL programmer... not really good but persistent ;)

Well, don't install them : it's just renamed one, and the rumor of their quality is just a rumor.

I founded this :
    *quote*
    Typedef: Just for the heck of it, I installed these drivers, and compared them to the 29.80 drivers. At first glance, the default settings were much better looking on the Omega drivers; however, the LOD is _way_ (cannot emphasize this enough) too excessive. What you end up with is a seriously "hazy" mess. The level of distortion is beyond ridiculous. It actually _nearly_ looks like you're using bilinear filtering, only worse. This becomes obvious once you move a character around, say, in Quake3. Once I set the LOD back to a default setting, I then compared the 2 again, and found virtually no difference whatsoever.

To each his own, but I would never consider using this configuration, especially if image quality is important. If it were possible to set such an aggressive LOD _without_ producing the haze, it would be OK.
    *quote*

I'm quite OK as it seemed like Quake3 looked like better on Nvidia's but I was thinking it was just my imagination... seems not !

In general, these drivers makes you lost a little performance (about 5 fps for myself on Quake3 Demo001, 1600x1200 32 bits on a GeForce3 64 MB ( from 92 to 87 fps), without having any gain on visual quality.

4. Taxman

Taxman New Member

Query about Settings in Omega Drivers

Just a query, why is "disable support for enhanced CPU features" turned on? Does this mean that the 3dnow! and SSE instructions are not used to compliment the graphics capability of the card? How does this affect things?

Matt

5. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

Well Tetedeiench, for an "OpenGL" programmer you don't seem to have the brains or at least the eyes... :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is you answer: DON'T CHANGE THE DEFAULT SETTINGS OR USE TWEAKERS!!! :(
    Just install an RUN the games, don't MESS with the settings in the nvidia display properties.

Please grow up and inform yourself better before you stick your foot in your mouth again, Did you read the readme file in the website that explained in clear english how to manage the drivers??? Seems not. :rolleyes:

After you have followed instructions please post again your pics showing the difference and apologize.

Taxman, read the readme file in my website.

6. iceboy

iceboy New Member

Hey guys, if you don't like the drivers, just uninstall them, i tried and did a roll back to 29.80.

Typedef from nvnews says this:"Just for the heck of it, I installed these drivers, and compared them to the 29.80 drivers. At first glance, the default settings were much better looking on the Omega drivers; however, the LOD is _way_ (cannot emphasize this enough) too excessive. What you end up with is a seriously "hazy" mess. The level of distortion is beyond ridiculous. It actually _nearly_ looks like you're using bilinear filtering, only worse. This becomes obvious once you move a character around, say, in Quake3. Once I set the LOD back to a default setting, I then compared the 2 again, and found virtually no difference whatsoever.

To each his own, but I would never consider using this configuration, especially if image quality is important. If it were possible to set such an aggressive LOD _without_ producing the haze, it would be OK.
    "

HE'S RIGHT, TO EACH HIS OWN. I tried the omega tweaked drivers and compared with 29.80 nvidia too. In omega tweaked drivers, the d3d in motogp is jerky when no AA is enabled. In 29.80 untweaked, the the game is smooth with 2XAA enabled. (see my sys spec below)

The opengl is smooth in games like CS and JK][ though. Gotta work more on the D3D, omega. Thanks for your work. Guys, please keep in mind he's doing it for free. :)

PEACE

7. iceboy

iceboy New Member

Re: Query about Settings in Omega Drivers

coz he benchmarked them enabled and disabled, and found out it's faster when it's disabled. :)

8. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Kronos, Father of Zeus

HA!? Where did he say that? How does that make sense?

9. GoHack

GoHack New Member

Nvidia Omega Driver.

Omegadrive:

I just want to say, GREAT JOB.

I just change my Nvidia driver on my Windows 2000 Pro to your official one and ran the online game Anarchy Online. The graphics are absolutely awsome. I had already tweaked my previous Nvidia driver, using the tweaking program GeForceTweak, for the best possible graphics, but it was no where near as good as yours.

The Nvidia supplied drivers are only generic, and not tuned by any of the graphic card suppliers. Boy would that be great to see the graphic card manufactures tuning the drivers for their specific cards. The last time that I saw a graphic card specific driver was w/the Diamond S3 generation cards.

Question I have for people is what is more important, speed or graphics quality? Todays generation of games, especially the growing online ones, are getting more and more graphical realistic. I'm waiting for the new Star Wars Galaxies online game, which is being written to utilize the GeForce 3 cards specifically.

Anyway, Thanks for the driver, and your work. I hope to see more.

10. Tetedeiench

Tetedeiench New Member

Re:

You know, I quite know, for years now I'm involved in informatic, how to read a readme, and more, how to install a driver. I didn't even touch a thing on these drivers. As for reading readme's, I'm able to install a linux : if you don't read readme's or such it's an impossible things to do. That was for the readme reading ( not that installing linux is an exploit, far from it, but it needs you to have some attitudes by default, like reading readme's or seeking info on google etc.

Yes it's just renamed ones with options forced by default, but moreover, you said you had "work" on it. I clearly doubt that.

You just forced somethings like LOD or such, and I'm even doubting the impact on graphics is just that important.

You said I've got some problem to see the difference. No, I won't have any problem. I just don't get my imagination involved in, as anyone is tempted to do when he installs these drivers.

I'm curious : on these pics, show me the difference ? Show me where it's sharpener, where it's more beautiful ?

I tested on an OpenGL, a D3D game : what do you want more for proof ?

Yes, after reading your website, talking about "work", I thought you programmed a little, thus I was wondering why they were renamed ones.

After installed it, I realised you only made changes to the default settings, which must have took you about 1 hour work.

Well, great. And these are said too be a revolution. To improve dramatically graphics. Sure ! Show me pics showing WHERE ?

I never saw one. Nor here or even on your website ... you're just playing with people imagination to get your "work" distributed... I will never agree to such an attitude.

Show me proofs and I will be the first to apologize. But with the screenshots upwards, you've got work to do.

11. iceboy

iceboy New Member

Re:

http://www.driverheaven.net/thread.php?id=962&p=2
    "BenT, I disabled CPU instructions support, that's why is disabled by default, The
    reason?, is actually slower when they are enabled, I discovered this some time ago in
    the ATI drivers and now in the nvidia drivers.
    "-omegadrive

12. iceboy

iceboy New Member

13. Tetedeiench

Tetedeiench New Member

I can't read it 'cause I'm behind a proxy...

I have to wait to be back home to read it, or for someone to post the screens here :/

14. iceboy

iceboy New Member

nvidia
    [​IMG]

omega
    [​IMG]

the Aliasing is bad tho:

nvidia
    [​IMG]

omega
    [​IMG]

15. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Re:

http://www.r00t3d.org.uk/

Now you can tunnel through it.

16. TimT

TimT New Member

Re:

I have the exact same problem. I am not upset like Ulukay, but I would like something constructive on how I can fix this problem. The same thing happened to me before once when I was using my old Radeon 8500, I never did find a way to fix it other than reinstalling XP. Yes I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the Omega/Nvidia drivers countless times, but no matter what whenever I try to install a new display driver now I get "An error occured during the installation of the device. The system cannot find the file specified". After this message the driver does get installed but there will be a yellow excamation mark next to the device in device manager, and windows automatically detects the card again and it goes through the new hardware detected window even though I just installed the driver. The driver/card works even with the yellow exclaimation mark next to it and I like many of the drivers features, but as soon as I reboot it no longer works again, and it redetects all over again. Like Ulukay the problem remains even when you try to install the official Nvidia drivers afterwards. Anyone got any ideas?

17. K.I.L.E.R

Yep cpu instruction etc.. is slower. I tried it already on Ogl games lik MOHAA. I always wondered the reason why bits of game were slow o_O.

18. iceboy

iceboy New Member

SHEEZE! i didn't notice that b4: on the second set of pics that i stole from that review site, the nvidia drivers looked sharper than omega's :confused:

19. K.I.L.E.R

Sharpness like other things come at a price. In this case = texture aliasing

20. iceboy

iceboy New Member

K.I.L.E.R: you didn't read properly or maybe my english is bad.. in the second set, the omega screenshot is more jagged, AND more blurred.