First pics: the new McLaren P1

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by MIG-31, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is it. The successor to one of the greatest cars ever, the Mclaren F1. And McLaren has a very simple aim for its new P1: ‘to be the best driver's car in the world on road and track'.

Well, we say this is it, but it's actually a design concept at this stage - we'll have to wait till 2013 for a production version, then ANOTHER twelve months for the actual car to land. Hardly surprising they want to measure twice and cut once, mind: this car has big shoes to fill.
    Actual details are extremely scarce, but McLaren boss, Ron Dennis, says "The McLaren P1 will be the result of 50 years of racing and road car heritage. Twenty years ago we raised the supercar performance bar with the McLaren F1 and our goal with the McLaren P1 is to redefine it once again."

Source: Top Gear (UK)

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

you know... that to me does screen sweet..

but i really quite liked the sharp edges of the F1 car.. for a car made 1994 it was pretty fantastic... and still does well today.

Wonder what kind of performance numbers this car is going to throw out... obviously it has to beat every catagory the f1 held...

I do know that if i had the money, i wouldn't hesitate to purchase the mercedes slr mclaren. That is a gorgous powerful lux car.

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I like it but could've looked better from the front. The back looks awesome though, and it's side view is pretty epic. I'm guessing this is going to cost a few appendages however.

4. Judas

likely 1.5 million give or take...

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If it's as fast as they are saying, the back is all anyone else is going to see. :)

6. Calliers

If I had the money I`d still go for a Ferrari F458 Italia. With a Porsche 911 Turbo and a Mercedes S Class on the side.

7. Judas

personally i'm quite impressed with the figures produced by the new shelby GT350 that is due to roll off the essembly line... having just trounced porche/ferrari/chev/lamborgini and numerous other cars... many of which are several times the price.....

and this isn't in the 1/4 mile either.. it's around a balanced track with hairpins and curves... and of course the straightaway.

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

That is one sexy looking car! :drool:

9. Calliers

You don't just buy a car for how fast it goes, it is also a status symbol.

In the society we live in today, status is something held in high regard and directly linked to how much money you have/what you can afford, etc.

I personally am against status and look forward to a world in which we can all live in peace and harmony.

10. CDsDontBurn

We can all live in harmony and all, but status will always be there.

I just hope that one day soon I can buy myself a 335i BMW :)

11. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

The hunt for status is in our genes. It used to be about being strongest, the best hunter and so on. It's just that since the human race became a stationary farming people it's been all about wealth.

12. Calliers

You like the BMW 3 series line-up of cars? I kind of detest them. :lol:

A Mercedes C Class car beats them in every respect hands down.

13. Judas

I couldn't care less about a "status symbol".... anyone that makes a purchase purely or even slightly on that is imo fucking retarded. If you buying a product .. and it doesn't matter what product.... lets take apple as quite a few people i know use that as a "status symbol".... has very little value or is so incredibly vain i don't think i want to be within sight of them.

The GT350 isn't specifically about speed at all.. actually it can't "go as fast" as some of the others simply because it doesn't have the horse power let alone the low drag to do it... mind you i'm sure someone can pump an extra 1000hp into it.... but from factory the car was designed specifically for being very good at everything, while taking the abuse that occurs while trying to be the best at everything.

Back to the status... i know some relatives that are so totally idiotic.... they make their house or property purchases based on status reflections.. irregardless of how absalutely batshit stupid it may be. Buying a house further up the mountain because it's seen as being higher up.... really? Your real only reason for buying that hunk of terrible property up a mountain with terrible roads and a shit house just so you can make the claim "oh hey, i'm way up there on the side of that unreliable cliff"... brilliant.

I don't feel bad for anyone that ends up dieing due to building in areas that are nutorious for being problematic.

It's as stupid as people repeatedly (re)building in the tornado zones... "i lost everything, again... 5th year in row.... but we won't let that hinder us and make us feel down... we rebuild'en!"

Insanity. Repeating the same mistake over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

Just as bad as people building alongside the river in saskatoon..... so much effort into landscaping to pump up their "status" only to have it destroy their property and cause serious problems for others to the point of making it impossible to fix.

stupid.

Material things... having some sort of significant meaning..... wonder how these same people feel when they are dead and it's all being sold off or given away or worse... owned by their nemisis...... lol

14. CDsDontBurn

I'm the opposite of you then. I don't like MB cars because I find them bland and boring whereas BMW, to me, has class and style :)

15. Judas

bmw are among the most unapealing cars...

16. Calliers

I think I dislike BMW because when I used to live in Botswana they were EVERYWHERE. It's like people didn't know there were other luxury cars available. Especially the 3 series, every young guy who had just got a job and started working bought a BMW 3 series car as his first car.

To be fair though ever since the release of the new Mercedes C Class, there are now more C Class cars on the streets of Gaborone than 3 series cars, but still, the initial overload of BMWs haunts me.

17. Judas

deversity is a nice thing to have in everything.... otherwise it's just clones and nothing unique anywhere.