First Video of Xbox 360 Crashing

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by MIG-31, Nov 23, 2005.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

The first video of an Xbox 360 crashing during gameplay has surfaced. During a game of Project Gotham Racing 3, the Xbox 360 suddenly crashed. There have been more reports of Xbox 360 crashes, which raises the question of whether this is a bad batch, or a global issue with the Xbox 360.

Download The Video from Gamershell

The Original source with a little more information can be viewed @ Xbox-Scene Which was submitted by germanjulian.

2. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

It looks like something on the system was overworked. Probably the video module.

3. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Crashing Xboxes, burnt out Xboxes, im really upset I didnt have one on preorder for months or stand in line for hours to get one of the first batches

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i would be pissed if i camped out over night to get one and that happend.

5. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Damn that SUCKS expected this sorta stuff from sony :lol:

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The majority of issues with the system seem, to some degree, be heat related. I've heard of fans not working, heat issues that crop up after a few hours of the system being on, and just plain stupid users not reading their manual (which is a typical male thing we do) which describes things NOT to do such as where to set it up (such as don't block the systems vents, don't put the system into an enclosed cabinet, nor near a heat source (ie. near a heat vent)).

One non heat issue that has cropped up is the exact same one that came up with the 360 kiosks: the E74 error. There is still no reference for the 360 error codes yet, so I'm not sure what it's related to, however my guess would be hard drive related.

Another issue, which again is one that came up with the kiosks (and the one in which Wal-Mart pulled them from their stores) is the systems wireless function for the controllers interferres with other WiFi devices such as wireless laptops, and wireless mice.

So far (knock on wood) my system has been pretty stable (only 2 issues so far: one with having to recover my gamertag on Live, the other with my routers NAT setting). Mind you the system is hooked up in the basement, and it's usually a constant 25-27C down there.

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

So tipstaff, seems ur a manual reader ;)

So does the wifi interfer with other apps? Cuz I might get one but wifi is a no no (if it interfeares)

8. Tipstaff

I sorta read it while I was, um setting it.... um.. Ok, I needed bathroom reading material, and it was the closest thing I could grab... so, there... [​IMG]

So far the only thing it's interfered with of mine is it lowered my laptops wireless connection from Excellent to Very Good, but if I unplug the 360 it becomes Excellent again.. go figure. I also have to unplug my laptops wireless mouse inorder to scan for wireless 360 controllers. I figure it's due to the wireless dongle for the mouse. I have had one person complain that their Microsoft wireless mouse stopped working right after they hooked up the 360, and worked again after unpluggin it.

A few complaints (which I'm chalking up to stuipd users again) is with the 360 WiFi adapter, but if you read the forums it's usually been just a matter of users not setting the adapter up properly, or that they find out that their router wasn't setup right. I haven't gotten my adapter yet (short supply up here), so I'll have to wait to see what happens.

Edit: I finally found out what the 360 E74 error code is that keeps popping up. Seems that it is related not with a faulty hard drive, but rather that the 360 is warning about a possible heat problem related to a specifc part of the system. What part, I don't know, but as I mentioned before the majority of issues have been heat related, so no surprise here.

Now, just imagine the problems if they hadn't moved the powersupply outside, and away from the system?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm not sure what everyone expected... the consoles are more and more moving towards the Computer side of hardware specs/software specs. Course they should have been able to test drive enough of them to find the issues that are happening.

Guess there going to have to put MASSIVE Warning stickers around it mentioning keep such and such so many feet from the back and sides for ventilation.

But MS might have a large issue here

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I anticipated this occuring, I am no gaming elitist, but I was going to get one for my son , but in light of this problem, and future problems, I am opting to take him to the mall and spending some money on clothes, gaming be damned.
    For those of you that simply must spend 400 bucks, I can recommend so many other more productive ways to enjoy it and keep your sanity..

11. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

yA i work at Wally World now ( :duh: :wtf: ) and they had the instore demo up for a whole day and a half i got bout 10 mins in on my lunch and i must say the COD 2 demo i tried did look exactly the same as the CPU demo but the lack of AA looked bad, i always like to try to run atleast 2x when i can to clear up the jaggies and there were alot on the COD2 360 demo, then they realized the wirelesss was sending all there handheld wireless pricing and inventory scanners into a tizzy and the turned it off, so its been just sitting there for a cpla weeks teasing folks!, also with it they sent an HDTV widescreeen flat panel LCD to hook it up to anf it does look awsome! color wise and such, i just hope the average peep realises that that standard AV hook up that i assume the majority of the console crowd has will look alot different

12. Tipstaff

As I mentioned in the other post HERE the issue is being blown out of proportion. With close to 900,000 units shipped you have to expect some issues to crop up given the volume of units made. It's just that the ones having problems are being very vocal about it, and that is getting picked up by every news agency and website.

Know what? To me it shows that Microsoft needs to straighten out their Quality Control, cuz for those units to make it out the door shows that someone wasn't doing their job. I wouldn't be surprised to see that these bad units came from the same factory, and I'm sure Microsoft is thinking the same thing (or they are now as a way to a spin on this ;)).

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

according to some guy over at the gamespot forums he appears to of figured out the problem!

Read Here

14. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

The wireless issue, I'll bet money on it in fact, arises from the attempt to make controllers cross compaitble with windows, and just because M$ is a large company, I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say that they run off a very lightly modified intelliPoint driver. That being said, OF COURSE they are gunna interfere with wireless signals, and yes, they are going to prevent you from using your microsoft mouse while you're on your sexBox.

Point 2:if microsoft is having heat issues on a november launch date...my suggestion to them is to bust ass and fix it before, say, august, when it's more then twice as hot.

As for all these errors and crashes, it's about par for the course. The first batch of PS2's had trouble reading DVDs, and PS1 games....the first batch of gamecubes got faulty optical drivers where the rotational motor would die after about 30 hours and the disc would spin no more. People who buy launch day hardware expecting flawless units are horrifically over-optomistic, I'm sorry. If there's going to be an error, it's going to be on launch day.

PS - I never met a heat issue I couldn't defeat with a box fan ;)

15. ferret2004

ferret2004 Active Member

I haven't had a single problem with my xbox360. I did notice how warm it gets sometimes, but it's also out in the open on my desk so I'm not concerned. I'm wondering how many people are stuffing their heatbox360 into a cubbyhole in their entertainment center?

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

He is just basically increasing the ventilation around the power supply, by suspending it in the air he is letting the lower portion get access to air. the part that would be normally on the floor.

Maybe they need to start supplying the machines with string and a little tie wall attachment :D

17. Rammy

Rammy DriverHeaven PR / Reviewer

That movie makes me want to try out PGR 3 :p

Anyway, this always happens with launch systems(PS2 DRE, Xbox Thompson Drive etc..). What really counts is how Microsoft reacts to this situation.

18. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well lets hope they react a little better than sony did when the original Playstation had laser issues....

19. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I feel a new Xbox revision soon coming out :p

20. Randy P

Randy P New Member

Just curious, wasn't there a problem with the first line of PS2s way back when they first came out? SOmething to do with the laser?? I can barely remember...