Flash broken

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Liqourice, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I don't know what's happened but flash doesn't work for me anymore when it comes to streams. I get the audio but the video is just green. This happens in both FF and IE. For some reason it works in Chrome.

This started after the Avast problems I had last night. I've tried uninstalling flash, rebooting, installing again and nothing seems to help.

Any ideas as to what I could do to fix this because I'm out of them myself?

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

this is normally sorted by right clicking the video and disabling hardware acceleration not a proper fix but it works

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Chrome uses a built in Flash player. I've been googling because of some flash issues of my own and I've come upon this. To save you the trouble, apparently there is a a bad combination of Flash, certain Windows updates and particular versions of Catalyst drivers. The offending Windows updates are KB2735855 and KB2750841. They are not really important and not security updates, so you may try removing them.

I've personally had issues of another kind, Flash would simply crash from time to time. I could easily reproduce the issue by opening a few Youtube videos and picking higher resolution streams. Two very recent Flash versions, 11.5 and 11.6, seem to have this issue for me. After reverting back to 11.4, all seems well.

EDIT: My issue is still here. :( It looks like an overflow bug, but I don't get why now, with old flash and with the same drivers I've been using for a while.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. Liqourice

Yeah, disabling hardware acceleration fixed it. That was about the only thing I hadn't tried....

Just don't understand why this happened when I updated avast.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

This is 99% of the time due to a Codec conflict... if you've installed the community codec pack or other codecs... they have a habit of royally screwing even flash video playback up horribly.

Remove whatever it was that you recently installed just prior to this occuring.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I got a notice of a Flash Update just about an hour ago. So, in addition to what you may have done already, be sure to go to Adobe's website and get the latest version.

7. Liqourice

I didn't install anything else than Avast after I had to uninstall it due to a failed update again. Nothing else was installed or removed.

So, somewhere in that process something changed because I'm quite sure I had HW acceleration turned on before as well as after and then having to turn it off to make it work.

Though, I think it's time for a complete re-format of this rig. It's 3 years since I built it and I have the same W7 installation as I started with.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

erg... google chrome..... i'll use waterfox over google chrome ...

and of course IE10 over both those.

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Its easy to fix if you just follow the link Judas, unless your just posting .:mad:

11. Liqourice