Flash update installs Chrome

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by LeanWolf, Nov 8, 2012.

1. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Booted up the computer today and as it happens sometimes the first thing I see is an Adobe Flash update available. I click install as I usually do. The little window pops up with 2 loading bars: one for the Flash update and one for Google chrome. There is no option anywhere to opt out of installing Chrome. The loading bar completes for the Flash update, Chrome is still downloading so I push the [x] in the corner to cancel. It asks if I want to stop installing and I say yes. The window disappears and Google Chrome starts up telling me welcome to Google Chrome! I uninstall Chrome and curse both Adobe and Google to the lowest pits of Hell.

edit: I should point out that I'm no noob to installing software, I ALWAYS look for those little pre-checked boxes when installing anything - there was simply nothing this time. I Bing'ed it (somehow didn't trust Google) and found an Adobe support thread full of complaints, apparently it also installs the Google toolbar (although I at least didn't get that) and Chrome even makes itself the default browser, causing problems for corporate users. Adobe support is of course claiming no knowledge of how this could happen.

I guess this is just the next step in dirty under-handed tactics. Obviously too many people are getting wise to those pre-checked boxes, which is already a pretty shady tactic.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

So much of these things today, but this was probably a mistake where they put out the package with the preselected Chrome option into the update stream. It's normally a checkbox on the Flash download page, but shouldn't be part of the automatic update of course. If they had that up for more than a little while we'll hear a lot about it soon. ;)

3. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

I somehow doubt very strongly that this was an accidental mistake, but I'm a pessimist (or as I prefer: a realist).

4. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

That was an accident for sure. Adobe would not push flash automatically with a flash update. If that happened, they would loose flash installs on millions of computers instantly.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

prefer to go to adobes website..

however i'm quite stoked about Windows 8's included flash system... Basically eliminates the flash update and such, automatically does it.

6. Erroneus

It's nice, just like how Chrome does it, but it requires that Microsoft keeps it updated fast, so far they haven't been able to do that.

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Yeah I think that's a design improvement. Keeping a browser plugin updated shouldn't be depending on the user or the system as a whole. Microsoft will just have to work closely to Adobe and speed up the process. Despite recent trends, flash will remain important on the web for at least a few more years.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Except that it's a site/content restricted Flash player. In order for a site that uses flash to run within IE10 it needs to be on the Microsoft Flash whitelist. If the site isn't on that list the site loads with the Flash content blocked, or doesn't load at all. So then you are either left waiting for Microsoft to add that site to their whitelist, if they ever do, or disable the update portion of IE10 that deals with whitelisting, and edit the local whitelist XML file to include the domain/site you want to work.

9. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Personally I think you should take the hint and move to the best browser around :D

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

^^^ This!

11. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

I AM using the best browser around: Opera
    and it wasn't snuck onto my rig in a lousy Flash update.

Seriously I think Google has enough of the world's information already, I'm not turning my browsing over to them completely.

Calliers likes this.
  12. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

Google already own the whole interwebs and everything on it, just give in already :p

13. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

NEVER! :p

One company gaining a monopoly (or near enough) in something is never good, and particularly in something as important as information.

14. Erroneus

I would properly use Chrome, if it wasn't for the fact that there isn't any proper working mouse gesture addon for Chrome on Mac's, which can use the right mouse button on a normal mouse for gestures. But nope, so I'm staying with Firefox on my machines, as it's easier to use the same browser on the all, because of addons, bookmark sync and so on.

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I can't wait for HTML5 and/or Gnash to mature to the point where I can finally be rid of the last piece of Adobe software on my PC.

16. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

FWIW, I just checked for an update and found one. Went ahead and got the latest update for Flash and... still using Firefox. There was no nefarious activity whatsoever and nothing of any kind of a checkbox showed up...other than to install McAfee, which I don't need...and I'm still using FF.

I'm inclined to think that some malware got onto the OP's system and linked to a suspect update link.

17. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The more and more people tell me how great Chrome is and how I should use it and how happy they are with it, the more I get a weird taste in my mouth and feel like throwing up and not using it.

I do use it, as a secondary browser, but I don't see why people love so much it apart that it is made by Google.

Perhaps I am getting too old or crazy.

18. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Rather than just saying they like it better, I'd prefer they list what it is they like better about it.

Granted, I haven't even tried it since the very, very early initial release and wasn't impressed enough with it to continue even checking it out from time to time.

19. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I think a lot of people find it more user-friendly and stable than FF. It also tends to be slightly ahead in supporting new technologies. I prefer the feel and addon reservoir of FF, though.

20. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Give me some credit please. What you did is go looking for the update on their website, what happened to me is their automatic update popup - that's not quite the same thing is it? And if adobe's Flash update was actually malware then it would likely do worse than install Chrome.

I've learned my lesson though and will never click on yes to that update popup again, but rather go get it myself. An inconvenience compared to the speedy popup but obviously necessary; although I'd never had any problem from it before.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012